PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot Respond To Zelda Review Backlash

wraggster
November 20th, 2006, 18:35
Gamespot, you're so missing the point here. After copping a torrent of vitriol for giving Twilight Princess a "lowly" 8.8, they've somehow felt the need to respond to their critics. Well...not so much respond, as make things ten times worse. Matthew Rorie, Game Guides Editor:

It's the same damn game we've all been playing for the last 15-odd years. Hey, guess what? You get to go into dungeons...and find items...and put together pieces of heart to make new heart containers. I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Triforce is in the mix at some point.

There's a difference between tradition and ossification, and Nintendo's been content to let this series stay the same for too damn long. What's more, in a lot of ways it's actually getting to be pretty annoying.

Why, GameSpot, as a major, commercial site, did you feel the need to respond to a bunch of angry fanboys? And having made that decision, why oh why did you need to go baiting them like that? All it's going to do is piss them off even more, all the while dragging you down to their level.

Via Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gamespot/gamespot-respond-to-zelda-review-backlash-215922.php)

Graxer0419
November 20th, 2006, 18:47
:eek: How can he say something like that?:eek: And im suprised the editor can give such a biased answer!

Accordion
November 20th, 2006, 18:59
read EDGE...

lipnox88
November 20th, 2006, 19:03
"I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Triforce is in the mix at some point"

How can he review it if he hasnt gotten far in it yet? I take it this guy must absolutly hate Ps3 (doing the same thing 3 generations in a row). Nintendo Does what we want. they improve on what works. i suppose he's going to go protest how long we've had bigmacs at mcdonalds!

jstush04
November 20th, 2006, 19:07
"I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Triforce is in the mix at some point"

How can he review it if he hasnt gotten far in it yet? I take it this guy must absolutly hate Ps3 (doing the same thing 3 generations in a row). Nintendo Does what we want. they improve on what works. i suppose he's going to go protest how long we've had bigmacs at mcdonalds!

hahahaha, soo true!! :D :thumbup:

ICE
November 20th, 2006, 19:17
dont review a game if you havent gotten very far in it. its bull crap. people love zelda some they keep making it. SUPPPLY AND DEMAND!! lol

SwordOfZork
November 20th, 2006, 19:42
There are SO many reasons why all the fanboys crapping their underoos over this was completely ridiculous.

1. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if that opinion is stupid and misinformed.

2. Why the hell do people care what "professional" reviewers think? Does what they say really have an ENORMOUS impact on how much YOU'RE going to enjoy a game? Besides, reviewers (not just for video games) are often bribed, threatened, given gifts, etc to slant their reviews. One of the biggest incidents of this in recent years was when HALO 2 reviews came out shortly before the game's release. So many reviewers were bought off and taken to strip clubs to persuade them to give it perfect, or near perfect scores. If they didn't, they were threatened into being boycotted, and never getting any early games to review ever again.

3. The complaints came in BEFORE THE GAME WAS RELEASED! There was no way the fanboys could have possibly formed an opinion on its score that would be the slightest bit accurate. If you haven't played it, you have NO right to criticize someone else's opinion about it.

4. Its completely stupid to get personally offended over someone else's opinion about something as frivolous and silly as a video game. You're a sad, sad person if a mere game means THAT much to you.

Percival
November 20th, 2006, 19:44
I think Jeff Gerstmann was the one who reviewed it.

According to Matthew Rorie's reasoning, GTA San Andreas should have gotten a way lower score. I mean... isn't that almost the same as GTA 3?

SnesR0X
November 20th, 2006, 19:53

According to Matthew Rorie's reasoning, GTA San Andreas should have gotten a way lower score. I mean... isn't that almost the same as GTA 3?

very true

compoman386
November 20th, 2006, 20:24

Thats why the comments is such BS, u could say the same thing about any major game franchise,
like complaining that the new versions of ridge racer are unoriginal for containing cars again

the_eternal_dark
November 20th, 2006, 21:10
I would have expected a review after full completion as opposed to "it feels the same/looks the same after playing for 10 minutes" crap. How can it feel the same with the new controls and story line?

Amethyst
November 20th, 2006, 23:31
His reasoning is total bull.

I'm going to go out on a limb but every sports game, racing game, and FPS has been the same thing for far too long. I want a Madden game where I don't have to play football. Maybe even give my player a high powered rifle and potions.

emuking
November 21st, 2006, 03:10
dont listen to this guy he doesnt play games its obvious so dont get mad at some f@g

ICE
November 21st, 2006, 04:14
I want a Madden game where I don't have to play football. Maybe even give my player a high powered rifle and potions.

me too man... if only that could happen right? Landanian Tomlinson with a sniper rifle and a potion of some sort would be the best thing ever.. :D

Gottaa
November 21st, 2006, 07:51
He must have taken lessons in how to make things worse.

And his reasoning blows my mind ... Couldn't that excuse be used on all Madden games, all soccer games, all stealth games, all driving games (certainly each series like Turismo, RR, etc)

Video_freak
November 21st, 2006, 08:45
You guys, 8.8/10 really isn't that bad. GTA: LCS got 8.4 and it was an awesome game.

SnesR0X
November 21st, 2006, 08:55
You guys, 8.8/10 really isn't that bad. GTA: LCS got 8.4 and it was an awesome game.

no way man, LCS got 8.6:thumbup: i tink VCS got 8.4
either way, all of those are excellent reviews, and all strongly suggest these games are worth your while, but after people kept hyping that this was the next OoT, people get mad when the big boys say it isn't. I don't care, i'm getting it anyway, because I love zelda no matter what, and if someone says it's 8.8, wich is a high score, i'd still get it. But yeah, you're one of te people who're thinking straight Vid

Makaveli777
November 21st, 2006, 09:58
yea seriously just because it didnt get a perfect score people complain. 8.8 is great get over it. Gamespot is dumb too for saying "i havent got far into it yet" now more people will cry. Everybody is dumb lol.