PDA

View Full Version : PSP PSOne Emulator details

gunntims0103
November 23rd, 2006, 04:53
A Japanese gamer has today revealed some more information on PSP's elusive PSOne Emulator, which is included with the magical firmware 3.0 that was released 48 hours ago. Using the PS3, the gamer first bought three games: Tekken 2, Biohazard, and Jumping Flash. I hate to burst the bubble of those who are expecting for straightforward PSOne emulation, but Tekken 2 was around 542 MB and it took a very long time (around one hour) just to copy it to the memory stick.

Another flaw of the PSOne emulator is that, by default, the analog stick was made a replacement to PSP's lack of the L2 and R2 buttons. This means that moving the analog left = L2, right = R2 and up = L2+R2. This may be a little annoying, especially because it will hinder your ability to use the analog stick in-game.

Screen Modes available are Original, Normal, and Full. But according to the gamer's blog, there is quite a bit of lag when changing between these two modes. Also, the PS3 assigns a 'usage ticket' to the game, binding it so that it is playable only on a certain PSP. Presumably, you will need to register that PSP with the PS3 for the PSOne games to work.

video via
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxqTyG1eVw

geise69
November 23rd, 2006, 05:30
Wow...it just gets better and better. Honestly to me psx emulation is not worth the wait anymore.

JD/
November 23rd, 2006, 05:50
Thats awesome hopefully psx-p or the ac's emu will get to that kind of speed.

LilSwish722
November 23rd, 2006, 05:52
ugh...friggin sony. i give up on this emulator. used to be excited with sonys emu but...idk anymore

archangel1024
November 23rd, 2006, 06:12
now that 3.00's been decrypted, developers should try dissasembling the PRXs to develop their emus, if its possible.
^.^

Vendeta
November 23rd, 2006, 14:37
If 3.00 is dycripted dosent that mean a dev-hooked version could be done....(hey i dont know shit bout whats inside but the firmware....dont kill me if im asking stupid questions...)

hawke213x
November 23rd, 2006, 17:20
Wow the analog stick being L2 and R2 is a really bad idea that would get confusing and does hinder the use of analog in games that have analog support and also use L2 and R2....yet there are no other buttons that can emulate L2 and R2. Hmm....

nickconvery
November 23rd, 2006, 18:02
Wow the analog stick being L2 and R2 is a really bad idea that would get confusing and does hinder the use of analog in games that have analog support and also use L2 and R2....yet there are no other buttons that can emulate L2 and R2. Hmm....

Most PS1 games use analog and the d-pad for movement etc. So there is (as far as I know) no chance of what you mentioned above happening.

Also, In the emulator (from what I've heard) you can switch between using the d-pad as L2 and R2 and the analog as L2 and R2. The d-pad way sounds better as I'd rather use the analog for any movement and simply press the left or right d-pad button for L2/R2.

VampDude
November 23rd, 2006, 18:57
A Japanese gamer has today revealed some more information on PSP's elusive PSOne Emulator, which is included with the magical firmware 3.0 that was released 48 hours ago. Using the PS3, the gamer first bought three games: Tekken 2, Biohazard, and Jumping Flash. I hate to burst the bubble of those who are expecting for straightforward PSOne emulation, but Tekken 2 was around 542 MB and it took a very long time (around one hour) just to copy it to the memory stick.

Another flaw of the PSOne emulator is that, by default, the analog stick was made a replacement to PSP's lack of the L2 and R2 buttons. This means that moving the analog left = L2, right = R2 and up = L2+R2. This may be a little annoying, especially because it will hinder your ability to use the analog stick in-game.

Screen Modes available are Original, Normal, and Full. But according to the gamer's blog, there is quite a bit of lag when changing between these two modes. Also, the PS3 assigns a 'usage ticket' to the game, binding it so that it is playable only on a certain PSP. Presumably, you will need to register that PSP with the PS3 for the PSOne games to work.

video via youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxqTyG1eVw)

coders/developers should take note of this
"and find a way of getting the neccesary info from the ps3" (which should be easy)
and tampering with it and make something compatable with the psp
without the need of a ps3!

and by the way: Tekken2 only took me 18 mins to copy to my psp's memcard after ripping from the original disk (which I borrowed from someone) and doing the necccecary stuff to make it into an emulator comapatible file (3 letter "i" word) which only took a few mins,
so that jap must have a very very slow (crappy) pc or a not very good memcard!

cloud_952
November 23rd, 2006, 19:13
so that jap must have a very very slow (crappy) pc or a not very good memcard!

One: He copied it from his PS3 to PSP while docked. This may impact download speeds, as you used a PC to PSP. This is quite apparent for those who read the article. It explicitely states that you use your PS3 to do it. Not your PC. To say nothing of the fact about how long it took for them to download the image to their PS3 from Sony's network.

Two: "Jap" is actually oft considered a racial slur. Shortened, sure, but there's still meaning behind it. o_O Just wanted to toss that one out there.

mavsman4457
November 23rd, 2006, 21:17
"Jap" is actually oft considered a racial slur. Shortened, sure, but there's still meaning behind it. o_O Just wanted to toss that one out there.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for pointing that out.

Avenyet
November 23rd, 2006, 23:08
ohhh more info on sony messing up wonderful and it only been two days... i;m starting to see why theres a total lack of games. shocking really that sony can;t even remake there own PS1 console... and why didn;t they release like a PSP add on for the R2 and L2 that plugged into the USB sure that would have been better than the left and right crap and sony would of probably made another few $'s out of it

Tetris999
November 24th, 2006, 02:02
first of all the files have to be found

and another thing, sony isnt that stupid i bet a billion bucks they were expecting the homebrew scene wanting therye emu, theyre is probably a catch on how the emu runs the psx games, just like the wii

then again anything is possible but it wont be done soon

F9zDark
November 24th, 2006, 02:15
One: He copied it from his PS3 to PSP while docked. This may impact download speeds, as you used a PC to PSP. This is quite apparent for those who read the article. It explicitely states that you use your PS3 to do it. Not your PC. To say nothing of the fact about how long it took for them to download the image to their PS3 from Sony's network.

Two: "Jap" is actually oft considered a racial slur. Shortened, sure, but there's still meaning behind it. o_O Just wanted to toss that one out there.

In the context he used it in it was clearly racist...

Exophase
November 24th, 2006, 04:01
I constantly hear things like "how are they going to emulate the dual analog sticks on a PS1 emulator?!" You guys act as if the Dualshock controller was what PS1 was released with. I never even had one. There is only one game in the entire PS1 library that requires it. One game. So no, I don't think anyone's going to be focusing hard on Ape Escape support in a PS1 emulator. Other than that...

SnesR0X
November 24th, 2006, 04:48
I know a japanese dude, he's not offended by jap at all, in fact, when we were playing ssx on tour, he said "AHWW, i wish this stupid was asian so i could insult her" and i said, "Uh, what would you say" and he said "I'd called her a stupid asian bitch!"
and whenever he tells me about the difference in games between english/japanese, he says, "Oh yeah in the Jap version they do this, say that" that stuff, he seemed to be fine with it

cha0ticbliss
November 24th, 2006, 05:29
It isn't necessarily the word itself, it is the context in which it is used.

potatoman
November 24th, 2006, 16:16
that jap part wasn't really needed, but you didn't have to be that harsh...
anyways, i would like to know if it is even possible to rip a ps1 game for ur psp, and if so, how!?!

belialone
November 24th, 2006, 19:16
i bet the guys at sony are biting their asses for including a flashable rom into psp
damn if where a programmer at sony i would cry all day
the homebrew scene is gonna develope a ps1emu 10 times better than the sony one

sometimes i feel sorry for sony just for a second but then i remember what happend to liksang and it gives me relief

gamerremag
November 25th, 2006, 17:10
lets let all arguments end here, wikipedia:

jap (variants: Japo, Japse) is a term denoting anything Japanese. In most English-speaking countries, it is accepted that it is a derogatory racial slur similar to the term ****** when referring to dark skinned people.

The three-letter and two-letter international country code (ISO 3166) for Japan, JPN and JP, are commonly used for the abbreviation of Japan.

In some countries, such as Australia, it is still used today to such an extent that school teachers sometimes refer to the Japanese language or people as "Jap(s)"[citation needed]. In Britain it is considered mildly inappropriate but not a serious insult (cf Paki which is grossly offensive in British English yet not uncommon as a ethnic description in the United States).

In Japanese dictionaries, the term "Jap" is only defined as a disparaging term used against the Japanese people, like it is the case in many English language dictionaries.[1][2]

The first recorded use of Jap was in 1860 to refer to members of the Japanese embassy in the United States. It was later popularized during World War II to describe those of Japanese/Asian descent, and was then commonly used in newspaper headlines to refer to the Japanese.

[edit] Actions of civil rights groups

In Texas, under pressure from civil rights groups, Jefferson County commissioners in 2004 decided to drop the name "Jap Road" from a 4.3-mile road near the city of Beaumont. Ironically, the road was originally named Jap Road in 1905 in honor of a local Japanese rice farmer.[3][4] Also in adjacent Orange County, "Jap Lane" has also been targeted by civil rights groups.[5] The road was originally named for the contributions of Kichimatsu Kishi and the farming colony he founded.