PDA

View Full Version : Going to get a JAP PSP - Need some help

scallywag
March 17th, 2005, 12:19
Hi all

With news that the UK release has been put back I have decided that I cannot wait any longer and am going to order a PSP today. I just have the following questions and would be grateful for some help before making my purchase.

1. Where is the cheapest and safest place on the net to buy a JAP PSP

2. Are all the menu's in English when you turn the thing on??

3. If I buy a US Game for it is will work ok and in English.

4. Does it matter that all the instructions that comes in the box are JAP. I keep hearing about internet play e.t.c which I assume is explained in the manual. Will I get by without it

Thanks in advance for your help

Scallywag

leggy
March 17th, 2005, 12:41
I bought mine from a chap on ebay - next day delivery - he has them in stock and is really easy to deal with - £228 for the value pack and ridge racers (forget the postage cost, look at the total price) -

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_Sony-PSP_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacat Z91512QQsassZpQ2dsQ2dp

You can easlily change the language to english.

There is a thread on here with a link to get the english instructions.

The games are multi-region so you will have no probs with a us game.

Go buy one - it is excellent!!!!!

scallywag
March 17th, 2005, 13:35
Excellent, thanks

One more quetsion though,

This guy on EBAY is selling it for£165 + 49 postage which sounds good enough to me,

But someone at the office bought his JAP PSP in with Need for Speed on it and the entire game was in Japenese. We couldn't work out how to change it.

Can you change the language settings for the games or will I have to stick with it until I buy a US version

Thanks again

leggy
March 17th, 2005, 13:57
You can't change the game language.

I got Ridge Racer with mine and it is easy enough to work out.

There is a link to a basic english translation on this site somewhere.

Again, the chap is really great to deal with. I spoke to him on the phone and he let me know when it was posted etc. Read his feedback.

The PSP is bloody excellent!!!!

leggy
March 17th, 2005, 14:01
PSP manual in english -

http://image.lik-sang.com/content/p...ual_English.pdf

tidusuk123
March 17th, 2005, 14:23
Also check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8175339835

i got mine from here. The guy emailed me and said if anyone else wants one then they can contact him and he will send you a link to his auction. £199 value pack with one game and free delivery (although it takes about 5 days to come - he gives a tracking number). I didn't pay any import tax or anything so i think its real good value. No dead pixels on my one. nice machine but to be honest in my opinion - it is merely a ps2 in your hands with an mp3/video player. if you are purely going for games then you might want something different if you already own a ps2 - nintendo ds - but the games on the nintendo are made for like 12 year olds!! Lost in Blue looks great and also winning eleven soccer (pro evo) has already been confirmed for it!

leggy
March 17th, 2005, 14:35
tidusuk - I think you may have been lucky not paying import duty.

Every time you buy from abroad you take the risk!

tidusuk123
March 17th, 2005, 15:40
Yeah i may have been lucky - but the other ten buyers (i contacted 4 of them) and they also never paid so i think the EMS and parcel force combined is a good way of avoiding tax - plus the guy marks it as low value (but then insurance is low too).

leggy
March 17th, 2005, 16:03
Great news if you can get it duty free!

Might have to buy one to sell on ebay. :rolleyes:

meloe
March 17th, 2005, 16:32
You will only ever avoid import duty if it is sent as a gift, i have never gotten away from import duty from a company and to be honest i dont htink you ever will. Customs and excise want their duty!!
As for need for speed cant change the menu but i found it very simple to figure out. if you are worried, wait 7 days and get a US psp is region free but will pnly [play US UMD movies, Jap psp will play UK discs as is same dvd region-region 2)
Go and get a US psp value pack and gretxy NHL from www.importmadness.co.uk for £169- absolutely great price, best i have found and avaliable in 7 days,

Nick

andrew
March 17th, 2005, 16:43
ok say if i bought a game over the web imported just 1 game whats the maxium i would get charged for customs??

leggy
March 17th, 2005, 18:28
As well as the custom charges you could also be charged a fee by the courier company.

tidusuk123
March 18th, 2005, 21:11
my one was marked as games console and value was £30 - no charges. (EMS and parcel force)