PDA

View Full Version : Is PSP doing better than people want you to think?

Makaveli777
November 28th, 2006, 03:44
Ok after seeing this wikipedia article on videogame console sales, I can now say that psp is not selling badly at all. I would actually say its selling great. Look at the list.

Sony PlayStation 2 (Released 2000): 103.69 million

Sony PlayStation (Released 1995): 102.49 million

Nintendo Game Boy Advance (Released 2001): 76.79 million

Nintendo Entertainment System (Released 1985): 60 million

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Released 1991): 49 million

Nintendo 64 (Released 1996): 32 million

Nintendo DS (Released 2004): 26.82 million

Microsoft Xbox (Released 2001): 24 million

Nintendo GameCube (Released 2001): 21.20 million

Sony PlayStation Portable (Released 2005): 17.03 million

Microsoft Xbox 360 (Released 2005): 7 million

PSP has been out for about almost 2 years now and its catching up to gamecube and soon xbox which both have been out for 5 years. So whats the big deal the way people are talking I thought psp sold only 1 unit or something lol. I think its because DS is selling so well. Oh yea and I do know wikipedia is not 100% right but they gotta be close. Oh yeah and look at ps2 :eek:

oh yea link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_consoles

C0R3F1GHT3R
November 28th, 2006, 07:25
the ds has sold quite a bit more. Almost 10million at that, but since its alot cheaper that has to come with it too.

Makaveli777
November 28th, 2006, 08:47
yea but ps2 is outselling xbox by 79 million and xbox is known as a successful system so why is psp considered a "failure".

b8a
November 28th, 2006, 09:10
I love the PSP. Other than it's insane UMD loading times, it's pretty much my dream console. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious that not everyone shares this opinion, and I think the fact that I can still find off-the-shelf 1.50 systems at any number of different stores is pretty good proof of this.

Part of the problem with judging the success/failure of the PSP is that there's not enough *reliable* information to gauge it with. Did you see the source for that sales number in the wikipedia article? It came straight from Sony's official website, and can't be trusted since they've been largely suspected of padding their sales figures. It seems as though they count units shipped to stores as units sold, so their number might not, in any way, be an acurate count of how many PSP's have actually been purchased by consumers.

In the end, you have to use your own judgement about how successful the PSP is. Don't pay too much attention to the mass media hype (even this very website has some pretty harsh, lopsided, and rarely fair anti sony/playstation bias which shouldn't be trusted to reflect the realities of the console). A good way to get a good feel of exactly how well the PSP is actually doing is to think about how many people you personally know who have one. If you know a bunch of people with a PSP, then the chances are good that that's a good sample of the overall population. But, if you can't think of many people with a PSP, you have to stop and think "Just who owns those 17 million PSPs?" -- I think this is probably why so many people consider it a failure, they just don't see all those PSPs that you would expect to be seeing if they had all been actually sold.

dejkirkby
November 28th, 2006, 10:28
There have been/are 5 PSP's in my house as compared to 3 PS2's, 1 Gamecube, 1 DS, 2 PS1's and 0 X-box or X-Box 360 and loads of my friend and family have PSP's.

splodger15
November 28th, 2006, 15:42
I have never bought xbox console or 360 dont plan to either as i have always gone for playstation

Future PS3 owner
Future wii owner as well

dejkirkby
November 28th, 2006, 16:01
I am so gonna get a Wii.
I wonder if there's a way to know how many PSP's have been bricked through homebrew development and Flash/FW mess-ups.

ICE
November 28th, 2006, 16:36
got an off topic question.. im getting a 1 gb stick in the mail any day now.. so how many "you know what's" could i fit on there. *back-ups* :D

oh i f you wanna answer me just pm me because im getting offline for a while and i dont want to look for this thread :D

Makaveli777
November 28th, 2006, 19:40
I love the PSP. Other than it's insane UMD loading times, it's pretty much my dream console. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious that not everyone shares this opinion, and I think the fact that I can still find off-the-shelf 1.50 systems at any number of different stores is pretty good proof of this.

Part of the problem with judging the success/failure of the PSP is that there's not enough *reliable* information to gauge it with. Did you see the source for that sales number in the wikipedia article? It came straight from Sony's official website, and can't be trusted since they've been largely suspected of padding their sales figures. It seems as though they count units shipped to stores as units sold, so their number might not, in any way, be an acurate count of how many PSP's have actually been purchased by consumers.

In the end, you have to use your own judgement about how successful the PSP is. Don't pay too much attention to the mass media hype (even this very website has some pretty harsh, lopsided, and rarely fair anti sony/playstation bias which shouldn't be trusted to reflect the realities of the console). A good way to get a good feel of exactly how well the PSP is actually doing is to think about how many people you personally know who have one. If you know a bunch of people with a PSP, then the chances are good that that's a good sample of the overall population. But, if you can't think of many people with a PSP, you have to stop and think "Just who owns those 17 million PSPs?" -- I think this is probably why so many people consider it a failure, they just don't see all those PSPs that you would expect to be seeing if they had all been actually sold.

Thanks for the great insight. I didnt see that source either so i didnt know that it was from sony's site. You are right we have to judge for ourselves how well any system is doing and not believe anyone else. You are right about the anti sony bias here too lol.

I think another reason that people think its not doing as good as it is that people buy it for no reason. I remember when I was in highschool alot of people had a psp. Alot of Girls I knew had it but only put music and games on it and had like 1 game that they didnt play. Alot of guys I knew had it but never took it to school for fear that it would be stolen. That frustrated me because they just defeated the purpose of owning a psp and somebody else could have had it. If the girls wanted to listen to music then they should have bought an ipod. The people that left theirs at home should just have stuck with ps2.

Basil Zero
December 2nd, 2006, 03:56
there's too many PSP haters thats why

and way too many DS fanboys