PDA

View Full Version : Sony's PSone emulator

cha0ticbliss
December 1st, 2006, 21:38
I don't think that there has been an official word yet on how this will work, but I've heard rumors that the emu will only run off of the ps3 through remote play (all the processing being done by the ps3)

However this sounds impractical to me because.. a main reason you buy the psp is to have portability and having to be nearby a console to emulate a game when you could just play it on the console anyway is stupid.
Now I think you will be able to do remote play with the ps1 games due to the backwards compatability but, I also think that there is/will be a PSone emu for the psp that can run completely by itself.

endgadget - Also of note is the announcement of a new digital distribution system (Hub?) allowing users to download “games and applications” directly to Memory Stick – an early use will be for downloading and playing PSone games (via new emulator) directly off your memory cards

I would think that^ would confirm that there is an emu that runs on the psp because It says straight off the memory stick and it's from endgadget.com which I assume is a reputable source

gamerremag
December 1st, 2006, 21:43
thank you, while this has been discussed already, you have proven my point on how gamers will be able to play games (ps1) without a ps3.

splodger15
December 1st, 2006, 21:46
Ok do you have like some idea where "We crack the PS1 Emu" why dont you update to 3.00 and you will see the ps3 connect icon where you can connect your psp to your ps3

gamerremag
December 1st, 2006, 21:56
on how gamers will be able to play games (ps1) without a ps3.

i know its not on now, but dont you think they will eventually?

splodger15
December 1st, 2006, 21:57
No i dont think they will

cha0ticbliss
December 1st, 2006, 22:00
Ok do you have like some idea where "We crack the PS1 Emu" why dont you update to 3.00 and you will see the ps3 connect icon where you can connect your psp to your ps3

I'm not saying that you don't need a ps3. The article mentions a new digital distribution system.. soo who knows how it will work out. Maybe you can download the file, but the emu cannot play the file without a "certificate" of some kind which is provided by the PS3, hence the "Certificate Utility" option. Maybe the ps3 only certifies files on a psp with your MAC address

Iunno just speculating. I don't know very much about file protection/copyrighting

Is there any word on what the Certificate Utility does?

gamerremag
December 1st, 2006, 22:46
from ign:

"...surprisingly, there are no PSone games to be downloaded with the new PSP v3.00 update ... so now we have the update that can run it, but we don't have the software to play, and most of us don't have the PS3 hardware to transfer the downloads? Sony is promising to fix this as soon as possible, but no word yet on an exact date for that or any news on how that will be implemented ... hopefully, the full PS Store and PS Network will be on PSP soon, but no guarantees."

cha0ticbliss
December 10th, 2006, 13:05
Here's a video showing ps1 emulation on the psp and it looks pretty solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCdkaD8CBdI

gamerremag
December 10th, 2006, 15:20
can the new devhook use the remote play icon?

cha0ticbliss
December 10th, 2006, 16:57
I don't think that that is using remote play. The guy loads it off of his memory stick, but the remote play icon is up farther in that column.... or maybe the next one over.

Does this mean that 3.00 has an emulator buried somewhere inside of it?

gamerremag
December 10th, 2006, 18:27
huh, now that u mention it, i remeber seeing what the remote play actually looks like when you are using it. it has the same style as the ps3 with the 2 little block guys for the friends section...

so he wasnt using remote play...