PDA

View Full Version : WTF, Wii already has a DVD Drive

Tortri
December 2nd, 2006, 15:06
Now, last time I checked a DVD Drive PLAYS DVD Movies... Anyways, doing some research online and found out that the Wii already has a DVD drive in it and hearing that Nintendo plans to release a "New" Wii with DVD Movie support is just pointless when all they have to do is nickel and dime us by making it a software purchase VIA their online store like Opera.

mcvader
December 2nd, 2006, 19:45
company's have to pay a licencing fee to have dvd playback on their consoles, this would add to the price OF EVERY CONSOLE SOLD, one of the wii's biggest selling points is that it's so cheap. I think most people would rather pay less seeing everybody in the free world has dvd players anyway.
It's the same reason the original x-box didn't play dvd's without buying the remote.

Tortri
December 2nd, 2006, 20:11
Money grubbing MPAA

iniquitous_beast
December 3rd, 2006, 01:12
Don't worry. I'm sure that current Wii owners will be able to download dvd playback software via online update once it becomes available. I'd be willing to pay $15 or whatever nintendo will ask for it.

curt_grymala
December 3rd, 2006, 02:10
Don't worry. I'm sure that current Wii owners will be able to download dvd playback software via online update once it becomes available. I'd be willing to pay $15 or whatever nintendo will ask for it.

That may end up being the case, but that's not what Nintendo is currently saying. They are saying that it won't be available at all for the current batch of consoles.