PDA

View Full Version : Reggie: Wii online gaming coming Q2 2007

wraggster
December 4th, 2006, 16:12
Via PAlGN (http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6107)

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that Wii gamers will be able to play games online from the second quarter of 2007. Reggie's pledge came in an interview with SpikeTV's Game Head show (which saw the Ninty president indulging in some bowling - of both the real-life and Wii variety), where he also let slip that more Wii channels were in the works.

So far, Japan is the only region with a Wii game [Pokémon Battle Revolution - Ed] that can be played online. However, that's set to change in the coming months, with Fils-Aime promising, "The multiplayer is coming. During the Japanese launch, there is Pokémon Battle Revolution, and that's really the first one. There will be titles that we'll be announcing in first quarter 2007, that'll be multiplayer-enabled. So during second quarter 2007, people will be able to have a multiplayer experience on Wii."

In further good news for Wii fans, Fils-Aime revealed that Nintendo was hard at work developing more Wii channels, though revealed nothing about what they would involve.

He was also kept busy when it came to defending the Wii controller from accusations that it may be a tad gimmicky. "I've had the opportunity to play Zelda, Excite Truck, Wii Sports, a little bit of Red Steel, a little bit of Madden," said Reggie. "It doesn't get old. It really doesn't get old. Wii will only become a gimmick if it's marginalised in terms of the way the remote is used, and we have absolutely no indication that that's going to happen."

Aside from that, Fils-Aime also discussed the "Wii60" phrase coined by Microsoft's Peter Moore ("Can I endorse the 360? Honestly, no"), the prospect of Mario appearing in a GTA-style game ("You'll never see that") what game he thinks would be best online ("The ultimate one would be Mario Kart, on a multiplayer basis"), and generally came across as a fairly good egg.

Mind you, his real-life bowling skills suck.

JKKDARK
December 4th, 2006, 18:58
of course. without online gaming, it sucks

curt_grymala
December 4th, 2006, 19:38
what game he thinks would be best online ("The ultimate one would be Mario Kart, on a multiplayer basis"),

Wow. I have wanted Mario Kart to come out for the Wii since I heard about the Wii in the first place, but it never really even occurred to me that it could be an online multi-player game. That would be insane.

That, and Super Smash Bros, which is supposed to support online multiplayer action when it's released. :thumbup:

hp1
December 5th, 2006, 08:41
All I ever wanted on the cube was for MArio Kart to be online, so I could play my brother who lives at the otehr end of the country.

Its the obvious choice for an online game for Wii, that and Metroid using some very large arenas. Sweet.