PDA

View Full Version : OT - Nintendo DS Games for Cancer Patient

wraggster
December 4th, 2006, 21:54
As a gaming community we like to help others and today we may have the chance to help someone suffering from Cancer, heres the details posted at Gamertag radio forums (http://www.gamertagradio.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=2902)

I got an email from my friends at Gamercast Network (http://www.gamercastnetwork.com/). A member from the forums needs your help to donate Nintendo DS Games for a Cancer Patient. There are looking for more people to donate. Here is a picture of her thanking GCN!

If you would like to help please read:

Hey gang,

I may not have been around the forums long enough to warrant this request, so no one will blame you for ignoring me on this one.

For the past 3 years I have worked with Texas Children's Cancer Center, the largest pediatric cancer and hematology center in the United States. As a result of our radiothon efforts we've raised about 1.5 million dollars for pediatric cancer research since December, 2004. As a result of my work there, I have gotten to know lots of really amazing kids. Some of them go on to live full lives... others fall this terrible disease.

2 years ago I met Tori, a young lady fighting Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.... In layman's terms... blood cancer.

At the time, Tori had already beaten this terrible disease when she was 8 years old. But then, just shy of 13, she relapsed. When a leukemia patient relapses, it means it's time for a Bone Marrow Transplant. Basically they give the child HUGE amounts of chemo and radiation to kill their existing (flawed) bone marrow. Then a donor (healthy) marrow is introduced. If all goes as planned, the donor marrow will take over (engraft) and the leukemia will be gone forever.

The side effect of blasting their bone marrow is an EXTREME vulnerability to viruses and germs, since the immune system is literally non existent.

So to protect against that, the child must spend upwards of 100 straight days in the hospital... Tori is about to embark on this journey... Which is why I am writing to gamers about this. Yesterday, I asked Tori's mom (Jo Ellen) what Tori likes to do in between the medicines and radiation treatments. She told me that Tori is GLUED to her NINTENDO DS.

So I'd throw this out to any of you who might have a Nintendo DS with games you beaten or don't play any more. Perhaps you would consider giving them to a very amazing young lady who's going thru something that no child should endure.

If you have any games you'd like to donate to Tori, please send them to me, and I will deliver them to her mom before they start their 100 days of utter isolation.

Jeromy "Doc" Adams
21515 Brookchase Loop
Cypress, TX 77433

I would really appreciate it if you might possibly be able to include something about this little project on Tori's behalf on your next podcast if you think it would fit. If not, no worries.

Here are some links to a few things.

THIS is a link to Tori's Carepage. (http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=TheToriTattler2006&uniq=105438&extrefid=tlcupdate)

Amethyst
December 4th, 2006, 23:39
I'm sorry but I am very skeptical of these online pity donations.

Let me get this straight, a member of a forum received an e-mail from another member requesting donations (plural, more than one) of DS games for ONE person he met amongst many sickly persons? Assuming only 5 people reply, that's still a lot of games. And why donations? Has this person, that is working with many patients, bought her any games? He hasn't mentioned in his noble request any purchases he has made for this unfortunate young woman.

I apologize for being skeptical. If anyone cares to explain how trustworthy is this MySpace for the sickly, let me know. Call me heartless for doubting his kindness but, frankly, it's the f'cking internet.

picketf
December 5th, 2006, 01:00
I'd lend her a couple of my games if her mom would care to send them back as soon as she's dead

firstknight
December 5th, 2006, 03:06
this is one strange donation dude... the mom cant afford games??? wher she afford to send her for medical..???

mmmbud
December 5th, 2006, 04:42
sell the games she is addicted to...... get flash cart.......

sorted

...then sue her for piracy!

lightningdude
December 5th, 2006, 07:57
Hey, have some respect. Maybe the guy didn't want to post what he's donated because he's afraid of sounding like he's bragging about what he has done. It sounds to me like he's doing enough just getting to know these children instead of thinking that they're just gonna die anyway.

Secondly, her mother probably can't afford games when she has to pay for the treatments that her daughter has undergone already.

And having an attitude, "I'd lend her a couple of my games if her mom would care to send them back as soon as she's dead"? How dare you! Sure it's the internet, but even if it's not real, how can you say something like that? You should be ashamed of yourself, even if it is a joke. The person that said "...then sue her for piracy!" The same goes for you, too.

All in all, I'm not going to donate to this either because I am unable to, since I do almost all of my nds gaming on a flashcart. But at least I have respect enough not to talk down about it. Seriously, people.

shadowprophet
December 5th, 2006, 09:55
This is awful. can people not reserve judgment before intangible evidence, it doesn't matter is this person is real or fake, has cancer or not, people are missing out on the opportunity to help someone by looking for justified reasons not too.

the concept of a chartable act is to give whole heartedly without reserve, if you give something up in charity that you only gave for show. then your reward is that you've made a spectacle of yourself.

in no corner of thinking is it considered good will to give up something to charity because you feel you must to please others, that's the complete perverse opposite of what charity is.,

any human being with a little humility, isn't even concerned with the rest of this thread beyond the links at the top to get in contact with the people anyway.. nuff said..

souLLy
December 5th, 2006, 09:57
Read the gamercast thread before being overly skeptical, there's photos of the girl with the games. That's really humbling.

shadowprophet
December 5th, 2006, 10:14
before

http://www.carepages.com/usr/G36698/P414646_FS.jpg

Now

http://www.carepages.com/usr/G3²698/P488043_FS.jpg

happy,

http://static.flickr.com/100/314200167_b27e70c47c.jpg

Adrenalin
December 5th, 2006, 11:39
A flashcart would actually be quite practical..... either way, i only own one game and i'm poor too.

picketf
December 5th, 2006, 11:52
And having an attitude, "I'd lend her a couple of my games if her mom would care to send them back as soon as she's dead"? How dare you!

Knowing that she will die eventually doesn't change much. We all die at some point in life. I don't give a hunk about people who think they have to fulfill a dead person's last wish. And if she survives what'll happen to the games? That's my point. People argue if she deserves death but I think she doesn't deserve any of those games for the simple fact that she is (through her mother or whoever) BEGING FOR THEM and SHE'S USING HER LIFE AS A MOTIVE FOR BEGING.

Understood?

If I had short time to live I'd start an online petition for crack cocaine.

shadowprophet
December 5th, 2006, 12:03
Knowing that she will die eventually doesn't change much. We all die at some point in life. I don't give a hunk about people who think they have to fulfill a dead person's last wish. And if she survives what'll happen to the games? That's my point. People argue if she deserves death but I think she doesn't deserve any of those games for the simple fact that she is BEGING FOR THEM and SHE'S USING HER LIFE AS A MOTIVE FOR BEGING.

Understood?

except It is made perfectly clear..

I have no Right to be upset. Yet I am.

Thats the most close minded ignorant heartless thing ive ever heard anyone say ever...
if i reserved the right to bann you for personal reasons, you would be gone right now..

Freaking jerk..

I changed my mind thee day ban, just because I dont want to see you in these forums for a while.

Maybe banning him was the wrong thing to do.

If so, ive made a mistake and im willing to accept the consequences..

THB
December 5th, 2006, 13:47
I dont post much on these forums but was absolutely horrified by his comment, ban definately well deserved.

As for where the games would go if she passes on, I'm sure other unfortunate children in her situation at the hospital would have access to them.

souLLy
December 5th, 2006, 15:45
I've got no problem with it sp

dejkirkby
December 5th, 2006, 16:08
a 3-day ban is way too good for him. Insta-ban for this heartless, unfeeling feck.

shadowprophet
December 5th, 2006, 22:44
I've got no problem with it sp

I just dont understand why picketf couldnt have just kept his opinions to himself to begin with,

Anyone with opinions like that, be it from mental problems or not, should have the common since to remain silent..