PDA

View Full Version : Running Emulators on YDL 5.0

oninotsume
December 5th, 2006, 09:43
Hi,

I just installed YDL 5.0 onto my PS3 the other day, and I have to say I'm fairly impressed.

I was wondering if anyone knows what procedures have to be undertaken to port existing Linux emulators to PS3 YDL 5.0? I know next to nothing about Linux, but I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that if the source code for a program is available, it can be recompiled and run on that unit.

Is it possible to recompile and run existing emulators i.e. Genesis, Neo Geo, etc. and get acceptable results, or will we have to wait for developers to port their work to the PS3?

Oninotsume

Termite
December 5th, 2006, 15:21
I don't know much about this but i bet if you have Emulators for another linux OS you could probably recompile them if you know what your doing, other than that just wait for other people to make them:thumbup:

NoQuarter
December 5th, 2006, 15:33
I believe that the gcc compiler for YDL is patched for the cell processor.I would try getting the source code,reading the read me and it should be as simple as a make then make install or ./configure,make then make install,from the command line.You have to check the readme or install notes for the particular program you are trying to compile though

oninotsume
December 6th, 2006, 05:59
I see. I found a page with a ton of Linux emus on it, so I'll try to work with the compiler to see if I can get anything up and running. I've never tried this before, so please don't wait for any updates okay ;)

It's really too bad that the RSX isn't supported, at least at this moment in time. That could have led to some pretty insane emulation and homebrew.

potatoman
January 2nd, 2007, 13:25
let us know if it works, i get mine in march caise off damn delays, but the launch should have more systems right? anyway if u need help let me know ill do my best...
good luck

potatoman
April 17th, 2007, 20:15
any news on those emulators yet? i heard some work on qj, but i dont trust those guys...

Triv1um
April 17th, 2007, 20:22
Well there are nes/snes emus.

I am running Xubuntu on my PS3, and my snes emu struggles to work.

So nothing graphicly higher will not work well.

I know there are some problems with mounting some of the processers and some of the gfx cards etc. so that must be the problem. Sony have been clever on this one.

potatoman
April 21st, 2007, 09:47
That can be overcome with the use of an emulator that dosent rely on graphics though, like some ps1 emus. Because Xubuntu wasnt designed specifically with that kind of hindered graphics in mind, it probably would have trouble. We may have to go from the ground up on this one and make the emulators by hand rather that editing them or modding them like im trying to do

Triv1um
April 21st, 2007, 10:43
That can be overcome with the use of an emulator that dosent rely on graphics though, like some ps1 emus. Because Xubuntu wasnt designed specifically with that kind of hindered graphics in mind, it probably would have trouble. We may have to go from the ground up on this one and make the emulators by hand rather that editing them or modding them like im trying to do

yeah, well I'm not actully running xubuntu anymore.

I've tried yellow dog, fedora core 5 and 6 and ubuntu.

all just as bad, we need to get more access into the console before anything can happen with emulation.

potatoman
April 21st, 2007, 23:49
I think YDL would work best because of it optimisation for ps3.