PDA

View Full Version : uk release date for psp

andrew
March 22nd, 2005, 09:25
Launch date uncertainty results in thriving PSP grey market

Retail sources are today suggesting that PSP may not reach the UK until Christmas.

Following the news last week that PSP will not be released over here "for several months," many insiders pointed towards a summer launch for the Sony handheld.

Indeed, a July release was apparently bandied about by Sony at one point but this, it seems, will clash with PSP's launch in South Korea. And, as Sony never releases hardware in more than one territory at a time, in order to avoid hardware shortages, it seems a post-July outing for the machine is assured.

At this point, a firm release date for the machine is nothing more than speculative. But, given that July is apparently out of the question, retailers we spoke to were under the impression that Sony would further delay the UK launch until Christmas in order to cash in on what is by far the most lucrative period for new hardware and software.

At present, Sony is remaining tight-lipped on the subject but as soon as we get official word from the company on PSP's UK release we'll let you know.

Meanwhile, the uncertainty about when Europe will finally see PSP has resulted in a thriving grey market for imported machines. Shops on London's Tottenham Court Road are currently selling imported PSPs for around £300 - three times the Japanese price of 19,800 yen (£99).

leggy
March 22nd, 2005, 11:32
I wish I had a shop in Tot Court Road.

Greedy buggers!!

Vimes220
March 22nd, 2005, 18:21
well i think Sony will watch to see how the USA launch goes then see WHEN they can manage a Europe launch date, personally i think they will launch it around may/june but am hoping for back end of april (ok dreaming of back end of april)

meloe
March 22nd, 2005, 18:43
you must be craazy m8, dreaming for a summer release, S.Korean release is then and with supplies currently tight in japan and probably will soon be tight in US, sony will want to cash in on the crimbo rush

Vimes220
March 22nd, 2005, 19:17
I am sticking to being optomistic. Sony are looking to output 2 million consoles a month and they only earmarked 1 - 2 million for the USA, even with current production at 800,000 i think that mid june is a realistic date, but it would not suprize me if the launch date was set for xmas to get the xmas sales.

aseddon130
March 23rd, 2005, 03:38
ive heard allsorts of dates for UK release date, first it was April, then Mid-May and the latest date ive heard is July/ End of 2nd Qtr 2005. Now, meloe pointed out the 'tight supplies' in Japan and considering we always get things last that would probably push it towards Christmas time, i am thinking that Sony will release it around August/September 2005, goiing on their previous console release dates (the original PS1 console was released in September, PS2 was 'near' that month) also that puts it nicely in place for christmas, when kids will all ask for it, and by that time there will be plenty of titles to choose from.

truth said, its a total mystery - i would be more concerned about the Price of it rather than the release date of it, because if its gonna retail for around £149 you might aswell get it about 5 months early for an extra £20-£30.

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 07:24
well they are either very clever or very stupid.

clever, coz by not anouncing it loads of people are hanging on to get a UK PSP.

stupid, coz the longer we wait the more we import.

leggy
March 23rd, 2005, 09:21
Sony won't care if people import. They are still getting a sale.

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 19:10
either way i belive there will be more information on the UK launch a couple of weeks after the USA launch, the problem is it could be a date for the launch or (more likely) that supplies are so tight that it has been postponed. eitherway i'll be pissed if the south koreans get the PSP before us. but hey what can we do, Well import of course!!

leggy
March 23rd, 2005, 19:18
Vimes - import it!!

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 19:32
i know its not hard fact but....
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1164
they claim 24 june (don't know their source)