PDA

View Full Version : universal wii-mote ??

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2006, 07:04
So I was laying in bed tired after a long day, I decided to go into the photo and video channel and play a slide show.
As Im laying there I fall asleep.

I wake up disenchanted with myself because I like to take real proper care of my electronics.
there usually not on unless someone is playing them. its just a waste of power, and in a round about way, i've always felt that leaving them playing when there not in use, cant really do much but shorten the life span of a console.

Anyhoo long story short, When is some third party dev gonna come up with a universal wii-mote.
Since the wii is so user friendly, It only makes sense that the same wii mote that controls your wii, should also control your tv and dvd player for that matter. (You know, For us lazy people)

Just a thought.

If something like that is already in development, be a saint and post a link people:thumbup:

*edit
Sorry for this being front page, I had no idea I could post front page in the wii forums,

Nifty :D

PeterM
December 8th, 2006, 15:37
Unless I misunderstood, the big problem here is that the Wiimote is actually the receiver, and it's the "sensor" bar that sends out the IR signal.

The remote uses the 2 lights on the bar to detect its orientation relative to the bar.

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2006, 15:49
Unless I misunderstood, the big problem here is that the Wiimote is actually the receiver, and it's the "sensor" bar that sends out the IR signal.

The remote uses the 2 lights on the bar to detect its orientation relative to the bar.

You are correct :eek:

That fact never even crossed my mind :o

And in fact completely shoots down my hopes and dreams :o thanks peter :p

Still though, even though my original idea is proven flawed, couldnt some third party developer create a soultion to this by simply adding the necessary IR transmitter to the tip of the wii-mote,

I realize something like this, includeing the button scheme would make the wii-mote an eye sore.

Still for functionalitys reasons, i believe it could have market support, ? maybe?

PeterM
December 8th, 2006, 15:59
Sorry for being the party pooper :-(

The idea is cool though - the Wii remote is a very nice piece of kit and I'd love to use it for more stuff.

shadowprophet
December 8th, 2006, 16:05
Sorry for being the party pooper :-(

The idea is cool though - the Wii remote is a very nice piece of kit and I'd love to use it for more stuff.

The only major gripe I have about it, truely. is that its drive should be able to read dvd's.

The only reason I can figure for this, is nintendo really didnt see the need in it :confused:

PeterM
December 8th, 2006, 21:06
Either that or licensing costs. They'd probably have to pay a big fee per console sold if it supported DVDs.

Shame though, it would make a neat DVD player eh?