PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and cons of importing

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 17:26
Was wondering if anyone could give me any good reason not to buy an imported PSP. also, any experiences/problems people have experienced

wraggster
March 23rd, 2005, 17:56
where do you live ?

wraggster
March 23rd, 2005, 17:58
scratch that i spotted ur from the uk

a jap psp will play UK games too both in same region

always use airmail if importing from the likes of .lik sang or better still use a importer like http://www.gbax.com/main.pl (gbax)

tidusuk123
March 23rd, 2005, 17:59
dead pixels, import tax, duty charges - if you order a japanese one then watch out for square button problems but you get a better screen. US one is better to get but you have to be careful with region issues if you plan to watch UMD movies.

If i could go back in time then i would wait for the UK release, or at least would have got an american one due to dodgy square button.

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 18:07
what is the problem with the dodgey button?
do any companys include the import tax?
has anyone used a uk supplier for imported machines?

leggy
March 23rd, 2005, 18:18
I wouldn't really worry about the square button issue.

A relatively small amount of the early machines had a problem but it has now been rectified.

Dead pixels - buy a machine here when it is released and you could still get dead pixels as they are shipped here too.

Vimes - there are quite a few for sale on ebay that are based here - just check the feedback of the seller to make sure they are OK.

leggy
March 23rd, 2005, 18:22
Vimes - I got mine off this person. Quick delivery and great to deal with.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_Sony-PSP_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacat Z91512QQsassZpQ2dsQ2dp

leggy
March 23rd, 2005, 18:26
Vimes - the above sellers website -

http://consolepcuk.com/shop/index.php?cPath=124

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 18:37
is it true that the uk release will have a different screen to the japanese console?

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 18:38
thanks for the links leggy, i have a PSP on Pre order from a UK supplier, but am getting impatient

leggy
March 23rd, 2005, 19:17
Vimes - there were rumours that the US machine would have an inferior screen to the Jap version (I even posted a thread about it myself) but I think they have been quashed now.

Are you waiting for the UK release? It could be many many months away yet and it probably wont be that much cheaper than importing one now.

tidusuk123
March 23rd, 2005, 20:53
the initial square button problem was that it kept getting stuck because of a uncut bit of plastic.

the current problem with ALL other Jap psps is that the square button does not feel as responsive as the other 3 buttons because of it not being centered etc etc.

Thats why i suggest getting a US one because apparently the problem has been rectified.

wrazz
March 23rd, 2005, 22:08
just typed out a long praise for psp--but timed out--
heres short version:)
ordered from lik-sang---10-30pm wed night
delivered here in london 9-30 am friday morning
wasnt in --so received it mon morning 10 am
amazed and astounded
psp value pack
screen protector
usb combi lead
ridge racer-------£228-inc shipping---UPS tracking

import sodding tax------£52.50

still cheaper than it will be here in 6-8months time

512 meg memory off e-bay---£45

pleasure---immeasurable:)

get one now!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrazz
March 23rd, 2005, 22:10
forgot to mention--
absolutely no sign of any of the probs we hear about
no dead pixels
buttons fine
just dont drop it on concrete floors :)

Vimes220
March 23rd, 2005, 22:15
thanks wrazz, I am hanging on for a couple of weeks to see if there is a new anouncement after the USA launch, i can wait till april/mid june but not waiting any longer so if i aint heard anything after 2 weeks i will get a jap one so i can watch region 2 movies when they come out

darcy67
March 23rd, 2005, 22:16
Hello, New here.

Just ordered my PSP from dvdboxoffice.com for £147. I also phones custom's and excise today and asked what the charges should be from Canada. They only said VAT, no duty applied. I also phoned DHL and asked them if they charge admin fee for paying the VAT. They said no, i'm expecting all in to pay £170 for my PSP. Great bargain as well.

Only thing I need to get is games and a decent memory card. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Also ment to add, I'm looking for the games quite quickly. Also does the PS2 power supply work with the 2nd half of the PSP adapter?

tidusuk123
March 23rd, 2005, 22:47
wrazz can you confirm that your psp has square button that feels exactly like the x button when you press it?

englishrick
March 23rd, 2005, 23:47
I have jap import and all buttons feel and sound the same when pressed.........

tidusuk123
March 24th, 2005, 00:12
maybe it was just mine then.

leggy
March 24th, 2005, 02:34
darcy - strange, I am sure you would still pay duty from Canada.

For games, try the same place you ordered your machine / try ebay / try any of the other links in the threads on this site.

I think the plug end of your PS2 lead will fit into the new PSP power supply.

darcy67
March 24th, 2005, 08:19
darcy - strange, I am sure you would still pay duty from Canada.

For games, try the same place you ordered your machine / try ebay / try any of the other links in the threads on this site.

I think the plug end of your PS2 lead will fit into the new PSP power supply.

I should hope that I don't get charged duty. Customs & Excise confirmed that and gave me the 10 digit code to check up again.

I'd be really disappointed If I did.

leggy
March 24th, 2005, 13:07
Let's hope you don't get charged. The government get enough out of us already!!

Vimes220
March 24th, 2005, 16:50
do you have to inform customs or do they just "catch you out"/send a bill through the post?

Vimes220
March 24th, 2005, 16:51
will the NTSC-J/PAL format difference between Japan and the UK have any bearing??

leggy
March 24th, 2005, 16:56
If customs catch you you will get a bill when the courier delivers it (you have to pay it then). If you don't get a bill when it gets delivered then you are lucky and have got away with it.

The games can be played on any machine - multi format.

The movies will have regions like dvd's do now. A Japanese machine (region 2) will not play American (region 1) released films.

Vimes220
March 24th, 2005, 17:09
is there anything you don't know leggy?

Vimes220
March 24th, 2005, 17:11
only question now is.....
should i cancel my pre order and get an import instead. I can't think of a reason now

wrazz
March 24th, 2005, 19:33
in my opinion--
cancel pre-order
buy american-if you want to avoid any language problems on actual console--
(mine (jap) has jap menu on the screen where you 'name'the console)
this is despite all menus being set to english
buy jap import if you want compatability with region 2 films--
cant think of any reason waiting any longer cos we will be paying £200+ for the value pack when it is eventually released here--maybe with no further benefits
so what you waiting for------
well worth any extra expense now--for what its worth
(my opinion that is)

Vimes220
March 24th, 2005, 22:39
of course i would be able to import movies from america for it...

Vimes220
March 25th, 2005, 19:20
right bite the bullet time, I'm Ordering a US PSP.

SalTheWop
March 25th, 2005, 19:32
Wrazz, WRT naming your PSP , you have to press the Select button to get English characters ;)

wrazz
March 25th, 2005, 19:43
as simple as that????
i'll give it a go--but i might keep the name it was born with :)
thanx