PDA

View Full Version : Iso

luch559
December 8th, 2006, 22:51
When I exract mgs po It tells me theres not enough volume. Anyone know what to do

weirdelf
December 8th, 2006, 22:55
No iso talk!

Damian666
December 8th, 2006, 23:40
Exactly! This is a site of Homebrew and Emulation. You are not to ask about ROM's and or ISO files. Read the rules first, before posting!

SSaxdude
December 8th, 2006, 23:42
Wow, this guy is just begging to get this thread closed.

andrewgabriel77
December 9th, 2006, 03:48
I know what to do...go somewhere else and talk about that crap

gamerremag
December 9th, 2006, 03:54
just go to the link in my thread and itll help you from there. gamerremag.tk

JKKDARK
December 9th, 2006, 04:11
Exactly! This is a site of Homebrew and Emulation. You are not to ask about ROM's and or ISO files. Read the rules first, before posting!

If we cannot talk about our dumped games, then we are not in an emulation forum ;)

ExcruciationX
December 9th, 2006, 04:46
If we cannot talk about our dumped games, then we are not in an emulation forum ;)
Your right! I guess I never thought about that! Smart girl...

F9zDark
December 9th, 2006, 06:58
Ripping PSone ISOs is thoroughly permitted yet doing the same with the PSP is illegal... The one thing I don't agree with on this forum.

If the MGS:PO ripping is not working then you have reached the capacity on your memory stick. Invest in a larger stick (unless you got a 4gig then you're SOL).

If I may suggest, there is really no need to run MGS:PO from the memory stick, load times are nearly non-existant. If you are ripping it for backup purposes then by all means. But I just can't see any benefit from running it off the memorystick.

splodger15
December 9th, 2006, 10:23
No ISO Talk on the forum

gamerremag
December 9th, 2006, 15:42
ripping isnt illegal, because you own the game, its downloading games you dont own thats illegal.

u pirate

dejkirkby
December 9th, 2006, 15:52
****ing noobs better start reading the ****ing rules! You lazy people piss me off. I've a good mind to send your IP address to the law. Stop asking for help with goddamn ISO's.

Elven6
December 9th, 2006, 17:23
****ing noobs better start reading the ****ing rules! You lazy people piss me off. I've a good mind to send your IP address to the law. Stop asking for help with goddamn ISO's.

What if he owns the game hes making a back up for? Unless hes is really a pirate!

cloud_952
December 9th, 2006, 18:13

Umm.. o_o wow, that comment just reeks of said "noob"-ness.

You DO realize that the law doesn't care if I talk about ripping an ISO on a message board, right? I don't support the usage of ISOs, nor do I have any intention to talk about them here. But seriously.. the very insinuation that you could get me in trouble over talking about such subjects online is absurd. I could walk into a police station and rip an ISO in front of them and they wouldn't care.

Would you also mind telling me who "the law" is? O_o Not sure where you are, but we have a whole slew of levels of government, laws, and agencies. I don't think there's a simple e-mail address for [email protected]

splodger15
December 9th, 2006, 21:54
I could walk into a police station and rip an ISO in front of them and they wouldn't care.

Ok walk into a police station and download a ISO and see what they do

cloud_952
December 9th, 2006, 22:15

I'm not sure what people aren't getting. Yes, copyright infringement is against the law, but it's not something that a local police dept. will arrest you over. Copyright infringement is a federal law, and as such, generally involves federal investigators (read: FBI), though this is not totally required.

However, the police dept. has better things to do than arrest you and try you for the crime. They will not, I promise you, arrest you for ripping a DVD or downloading an ISO right in front of them. First off, the police officer may or may not even understand what you're doing or the legality issues. Second, THEY DO NOT CARE. o_o

Seriously, a vague concept of law should clear this up. This reminds me of the conversations you have in the fourth grade, where people think 'the law' is some mystical force.

Gah.

m0th
December 9th, 2006, 22:29

Too funny. People that look at piracy as some horrible crime, really irritate me with their holier than thou additude. So what's worse, going into a store and stealing a whole bunch of games or going online and downloading them? If anyone says that they are equally just as bad, you should get punched in the teeth.

F9zDark
December 9th, 2006, 22:45
Too funny. People that look at piracy as some horrible crime, really irritate me with their holier than thou additude. So what's worse, going into a store and stealing a whole bunch of games or going online and downloading them? If anyone says that they are equally just as bad, you should get punched in the teeth.

As far as the law is concerned they aren't really the same, but in terms of incurred loss to the game company and store that sells them, they are indeed the same thing; either way, someone is getting a game without paying for it; it just so happens that the physical act of stealing is a crime that local authorities will and often do punish, whereas downloading a game is not.

Such is why downloading is a much better proposition for those wishing to steal games: its relatively safe without much risk.

To the others mentioning "No ISO talk" why is it that backing up UMDs is such a huge issue when the powers that be here fully codone ripping PSOne games into ISO format for the homebrew PSOne emulators?

Emulation/Piracy go hand in hand and without Piracy, there would be no emulation whatsoever; I don't give a crap about how righteous yall think you are, if you download an SNES rom, whether you own the original or not, you are supporting a pirate.

This whole thing about ISO discussion is not as black and white as you all would like to believe it is; if you condone emulation of any kind (especially the kind that involves ISOs, as is the case with the PSOne emulator) then you shoudn't just immediately disavow any ISO discussion for other systems. There are plenty of benefits for using the ISO of a UMD that one owns rather than the UMD; conservation of power and reduction of load times.

But of course, being that ISO talk as it pertains to the PSP is just 'wrong' people wouldn't know that.

PS2-Dev has got it right; no ISO discussion WHATSOEVER, and they make no differentiation between good or bad; what bothers me is that here the distinction is made so long as it applies to the PSOne, but once its applied to the PSP its automatically this heinous crime...

VampDude
December 10th, 2006, 03:37
ripping is'nt illegal, because you own the game, it's downloading games you dont own that's illegal.

u pirate

ripping games that you've rented is illegal thou, so technically ripping is illegal!

cloud_952
December 10th, 2006, 04:25
ripping games that you've rented is illegal thou, so technically ripping is illegal!

Correct. It's illegal SOMETIMES. But not always. Under your logic, because I could use a screwdriver under some situations to kill people, all screwdrivers are illegal all the time.

Your logic is impeccable. Really.

On to the policies of the board.. I agree, they're totally BS. It's alright to rip PSX games and cart ROMs, but god-forbid someone even talk about a DS, GBA, or PSP rom. Oh, heavens no. It's okay to get ISOs on other systems, but those? No, illegal.

If you want to argue that DCEMU says that you can't talk about obtaining copies of current media, consider this: PSP Revolution releases copyrighted MP3s with it. So, yeah, that argument's screwed.

I don't really care either way. I think it's best for people to not talk about these issues entirely. Don't be stupid, use Google, and figure it out yourself.

F9zDark
December 10th, 2006, 05:02
On to the policies of the board.. I agree, they're totally BS. It's alright to rip PSX games and cart ROMs, but god-forbid someone even talk about a DS, GBA, or PSP rom. Oh, heavens no. It's okay to get ISOs on other systems, but those? No, illegal.

If you want to argue that DCEMU says that you can't talk about obtaining copies of current media, consider this: PSP Revolution releases copyrighted MP3s with it. So, yeah, that argument's screwed.

Thats what I can't stand man, its such a hypocrisy. Downloading ROMs whether you own them or not, is still supporting a pirate; because the person who ripped it and then is distributing it, is distributing it illegally.

So if there is a full on ban of ISOs, then follow suit with emulation and roms entirely. Don't make the distinction for one and deny it for another. And as I pointed out, there ARE uses to having the ISO from a UMD one owns; the battery life on a PSP is horrible when the UMD drive needs to work; such is alleviated when one uses an ISO of the same game.

cloud_952
December 10th, 2006, 07:22
Definitely. And, more so, what's the hurt of learning how to RIP an ISO? o_O Clearly, I have access to the game if I'm ripping it. I can kinda see the argument against telling people what to do with an ISO once you had it (could've gotten it from the internet), but hey, be smart and figure that one out. But ripping an ISO? This is just getting pathetic.

m0th
December 10th, 2006, 08:18
HAHA! Wow cloud and dark just owned.. thanks you two... very valid points. the thing I don't get is "still supporting a pirate"...F9zDark. Pirates/crews just do it cos they can, they dont make money off any of it at all, they hack, crack and post cos they can. I know shit about hacking and cracking but if someone comes onto the boards asking all sorts of TABOO questions, yeah Ima gonna say SHHHH!!!! to protect the board and maybe thats what the mods want too. As long as the person shuts the hell up, PMs me.. ill help em cos than its between me and them and not dcemu. Look at the bigass picture, this site IS the number one spot where new devhook news comes from. Devhook has already been in Sonys sights for quite sometime. DCEMU is keeping a low stat pro.. so just respect it.

pibs
December 10th, 2006, 09:30
ha this quickly got off topic...... btw its only if u own the rights to the game that u can rip, and distribute it and not if u own the game. But as for the whole umd dumps forbidden talk, it does make sense because its not like ur gona run it on another system, mostly all the roms and iso talk is to emulate it on a system completely different from the one it was originated to run on, yet umd dumps will of course run on the psp and not another cosole.

the way i see it is that its more of a dev issue, if we run copied/dumped games on the original console it automatically looks like piracy. yet if we run a completely different platform game on a console it looks more like tinkering with the system and involves development of software to see what else that system can do... haha just flame away if u think im wrong but its just my opinion on these things

dejkirkby
December 10th, 2006, 09:39
its only if u own the rights to the game that u can rip, and distribute it and not if u own the game.
Thank you pibster. You backed up my point perfectly.

splodger15
December 10th, 2006, 10:12
Mod please lock

Cloudhunter
December 10th, 2006, 11:27
Mod please lock

This has been left open to prove a point I think.

But the main difference between PS1 ripping, and PSP ripping is this.

a mystical thing called the EULA, which most people don't read.

One of the clauses of the EULA states this.

The EULA (End User License Agreement) states you are allowed one copy.

And that copy is on the umd. You can not legally backup a umd, because as soon as you do, you have 2 copies, and your licence to own the original UMD is void, meaning it is now illegal for you to play the UMD even from the original disc, while you have 2 copies.

Cloudy

dejkirkby
December 10th, 2006, 12:14
AFter doing some reading up on the subject, I have found that currently in the UK it is illegal to have a back-up copy of ANY digital media you have purchased apart from music. No matter if it's a video DVD converted to avi or even a PSP UMD converted to ISO, it's still currently illegal. Music conversion was only relaxed very recently. So no matter which way you look at it is illegal.

gamerremag
December 10th, 2006, 15:24

i cant rent psp games where im from. i didnt know that you could. do you mean through that mail order thing?Its like the netflix for video games...i cant remember what its called

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_952 View Post

what if you have a game, but its scratched enough for you not to be able to get a good rip, but good enough to play? its not illegal to copy games that you own, right? well, long as you arent distributing them.

thread still not closed....and i got into trouble for double posting. :0

SSaxdude
December 10th, 2006, 15:49
Ok, let's not into the whole "any ripping is bad." Because if you were to live with that mentality, you couldn't rip mp3s from your CDs, yet everybody does it. Then you would be hypocritical.

As for the legality of dumping isos, the police wouldn't give a damn. All they care about is donuts, people loitering in front of stores, and people smoking weed (god forbid we harm ourselves!) Only the federal government would arrest pirates.

dejkirkby, ratting out people is not cool, unless they are a rapist or killer.

dejkirkby
December 10th, 2006, 16:01
I never said I was going to rat him out. I said I have a good mind to. Different things. Read the post before trying to judge okay. At the end of the day, the rules of the site are no iso talk, yet noob after noob after noob come with the same things "Help me with my iso's, help me with my iso's."
It takes 5 minutes to read the rules so they have no excuse. I'm sick of it. They wanna break the law, fine. Don't come onto a respectable site and ask for help.
And for all those with problems about the iso talk rules and the alleged hypocrisy, take it up with Wraggster or any of the other mods. Don't try and use me as the catalyst for your complaints.

splodger15
December 10th, 2006, 16:27
yet noob after noob after noob come with the same things "Help me with my iso's, help me with my iso's."
It takes 5 minutes to read the rules so they have no excuse. I'm sick of it. They wanna break the law, fine. Don't come onto a respectable site and ask for help.

Well said. I back your point completely

S34MU5
December 10th, 2006, 16:54
Why isnt this locked yet?
where is zion?

Oh yeh running Zionmax.com!
its much better!

F9zDark
December 10th, 2006, 16:58
ha this quickly got off topic...... btw its only if u own the rights to the game that u can rip, and distribute it and not if u own the game.

If you own it you can RIP it, you can't distribute it. Distributing someone else's copyrighted work without their permission is illegal, regardless if you own it or not. This is the most basic tenet of Copyright Law and the reason that ISO talk is banned on many forums is because ISO distribution is what is illegal, sites are just trying to save their ass.

Read any EULA and it plainly states that you are not allowed to distribute the game. Some, more recently, acknowledge a user's right to make a backup copy for archival purposes, but this is a fairly recent addition to most EULAs and its not all that widespread.

From Wikipedia regarding Copyright Law:

There are five basic rights protected by copyright, and they are sometimes called the five "pillars" of copyright. The owner of copyright has the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:

* To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords;
* To prepare derivative works based upon the work;
* To distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;
* To publicly perform the work, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
* To publicly display the work, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work.

A violation of any of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder is said to be a copyright infringement.

I added the bold and underlines to show the points that coincide with my point above. Only the original author has the right to distribute his/her work and can give others permission to have such a right (a license). As is the case with software, we don't 'own' software, we are licensed to used it, but we are NEVER licensed to distribute it, that is copyright infringement and has yet to hold up in court; regardless if another person owns the same game you are not allowed to provide it to him/her or anyone else on the basis that "if they own it they can download it legally".

gamerremag
December 10th, 2006, 19:43
To distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

oh, so if i download a game for a week if its old, or 3 days if its new its concidered as a rental, right?

jk

Tetris999
December 10th, 2006, 22:09
BLAH BLAH OOGABOOGA! no iso talk BLAAAAAAAH!

yeah no iso talk

C0R3F1GHT3R
December 10th, 2006, 22:33
lol cant backup stuff ie. dvds... wtf were dvds created for... so if a person wants to burn a copy of a dvd they bought in order to keep the original from getting f'd up they cant. I personally think its a big money scandal just so the pockets of the tech industry get bigger and bigger...

JKKDARK
December 10th, 2006, 22:38
Why isnt this locked yet?
where is zion?

Oh yeh running Zionmax.com!
its much better!

You have the same url in every post :confused:

What happens here?
You can make a backup of your own game and you cannot distribute it. But if you distribute your backup, then you are doing something illegal (and being a fcuking pirate).

pibs
December 10th, 2006, 23:29
F9 we can argue about this all day but i just really dont care about these things plus a source like wikipedia isnt credible since anyone can edit or reorganize their contents.plz some1 lock this thread already.....

JKKDARK
December 10th, 2006, 23:38
F9 we can argue about this all day but i just really dont care about these things plus a source like wikipedia isnt credible since anyone can edit or reorganize their contents.plz some1 lock this thread already.....

yeah but it will be edited again if it's wrong. believe me, i tried it ;)

Zion
December 10th, 2006, 23:48
i dont think were ever going to reach a conclusion here....

locked,,....maybe wraggster can clear up the whole ps1 iso talk being permitted, i dont know...

locked for now