PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Max Announced for Wii

wraggster
December 9th, 2006, 21:42
Heres the details from Datel:

WiFi MAX is your ticket to the exciting world of online gaming, and it couldn't be simpler to use. Just plug your USB WiFi dongle into your internet-enabled PC to create a Wireless Access Point. You can then connect to the internet and play online-enabled multiplayer games with DS and Wii gamers from all over the world. Just the thing if you don't have a wireless router! Best of all, WiFi MAX supports up to five ‘local' DS gamers at a time, so you and your mates can all play online at once with no loss of speed!

Don’t forget, there’s more to the Nintendo Wii’s online service than playing games. You can also download additional material such as new levels, skins, artwork and even retro games! That’s right – Nintendo is gradually making its back-catalogue classics for old Nintendo machines such as the NES, SNES and N64 available to Wii owners through the Virtual Arcade service. And with WiFi MAX, you can download them through your broadband internet connection! Just think what you’ll be missing out on if you don’t take your Wii online…

As WiFi MAX operates on the Wireless G standard, it's five times faster than an ordinary WiFi connection, and if you use our USB cable and dongle stand (supplied), you can position your dongle to maximise WiFi range. If you have other WiFi-enabled devices capable of using the internet, such as laptops or PDAs, you can take them online with WiFi MAX too. It's the ultimate device for internet surfing without a WiFi router!

ICE
December 9th, 2006, 22:26
ok i have the old wifi max so can i not just use it?

Sektor
December 10th, 2006, 09:35
You can use your old one or just a wireless AP or the nintendo USB wi-fi adapter.

G2DaB
December 10th, 2006, 10:55
i have a problem. ive got broadband but not wireless is it possible for me to play over the internet?

mwstevens
December 10th, 2006, 10:59
i have a problem. ive got broadband but not wireless is it possible for me to play over the internet?

Yup - get a Wireless USB dongle (nintendo do an official one) - plug it into your USB port on your PC then set it as "Access Point" instead of "Station" - it'll use your PC's internet connection to send out a signal your Wii can pick up on.

Sounds more complex than it is - I got my Wii connected in less than 3 mins.

G2DaB
December 10th, 2006, 22:24
how much would an official nintendo wireless USB dongle set me back ?

Strumtoo
December 11th, 2006, 08:01
Yup - get a Wireless USB dongle (nintendo do an official one) - plug it into your USB port on your PC then set it as "Access Point" instead of "Station" - it'll use your PC's internet connection to send out a signal your Wii can pick up on.

Sounds more complex than it is - I got my Wii connected in less than 3 mins.

or just pay a little bit extra and get a wireless router, then you can use you Wii online, DS, PSP etc.. without having to have your PC on..

with the price of wireless router/modems nowadays, I fail to see the point of the wifi max :confused:

curt_grymala
December 11th, 2006, 11:14
or just pay a little bit extra and get a wireless router, then you can use you Wii online, DS, PSP etc.. without having to have your PC on..

with the price of wireless router/modems nowadays, I fail to see the point of the wifi max :confused:

That's what I'm thinking, too. That's why I plan on getting a wireless router around Christmas (if I don't get one for Christmas).

how much would an official nintendo wireless USB dongle set me back ?

Here in the U.S., it's $35.00.

G2DaB
December 11th, 2006, 17:01
Where would i get a wireless router and how do i connect it to my orignal internet.

Strumtoo
December 11th, 2006, 17:38
Where would i get a wireless router and how do i connect it to my orignal internet.

couple of Q's are you in the UK? if so NTL/cable or BT? desktop or laptop?

G2DaB
December 11th, 2006, 17:51
Ive got a desktop and im already on bt but i work off a router.

Strumtoo
December 11th, 2006, 18:07
you can buy a wireless router/modem that can replace what you have and most of them come with 4 wired ports too, so you can keep your desktop wired via ethernet and then have to freedom to connect any wireless device you may have or have in the future..

its a much better futureproof solution than those silly usb wifi things..

your looking at around £40, and thats even at pc world, they do a Linksys one that is of very good standard but you can even go into a supermarket nowadays and pick one up..