PDA

View Full Version : will 360 not work with 50hz TV??

chemical
December 10th, 2006, 20:30
Hey.

Well I picked up an amazing deal for an Xbox 360 recently, went halfs with my parents (half for christmas, half of my own money) and saving it till the 25th, should be awesome :thumbup:

I do have one question though..

I have a pretty lame TV, and someone I know said your TV must be 60Hz for 360, and some games will just say "please set your tv to 60hz" if it isn't.

Now my worry is, I looked up my tv and knowing my luck, yep its only 50hz : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5290169.htm

Is this going to cause me problems then or is he just wrong?

Darksaviour69
December 11th, 2006, 09:26
the dash board is in 50hz, you can select in the options what you want it at 50/60. But some games don't support 50hz, like gears of war

edit: looked at the link, usally any tv that supports scart has 60hz. when it says "50Hz refresh rate." it could mean it supports 50, so it could support 60. let me put it this way i have not found a scart tv that does not support 60hz. Having said i have an old shity tv that does support 60hz, but not very well, it cuts the very top and bottom of the image off, but still playable with most games.

Reall most PAL tvs started supporting 60hz, as standard, from about mid 90s onwards

beetroot bertie
December 11th, 2006, 12:44
From what I've seen, the game boxes seem to state 60Hz if it's a mandatory requirement. Well, some on mine have it on the boxes. I can't say if it's a packaging requirement or just an optional thing that publisher print on, but it may help you when buying games.

chemical
December 11th, 2006, 16:01
the dash board is in 50hz, you can select in the options what you want it at 50/60. But some games don't support 50hz, like gears of war

edit: looked at the link, usally any tv that supports scart has 60hz. when it says "50Hz refresh rate." it could mean it supports 50, so it could support 60. let me put it this way i have not found a scart tv that does not support 60hz. Having said i have an old shity tv that does support 60hz, but not very well, it cuts the very top and bottom of the image off, but still playable with most games.

Reall most PAL tvs started supporting 60hz, as standard, from about mid 90s onwards

If you're right this would be great!, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it as i'm pretty sure 50hz is its max, i've searched around and its never mentions 60hz, always 50hz :(, its not that old, but was basically the cheapest 21" around.. has mono sound and everything.

I've been looking into 360 playing on a PC moniter and speakers though, I've done some research and made a post about that.. if you know anything about it please reply there, or if you have any info on running 60hz games on a 50hz tv (though im guessing it cant be done) please reply here.

Thanks

Darksaviour69
December 11th, 2006, 16:18
i have a vga cable for my xbox, got it off ebay cheap (£11ish), i have a old monitor, so i had to get a female to female adaptor to connect them (£3 ebay). The only problem was sound. The vga cable for the xbox has 2 audio cables, Red and White, and i can't plug them to my speakers. I tryed to plug them into my tv, so it would play the audio, but the tv will not play audio unless its getting a video imput via the yellow lead... which sucks. so my temp solution is to have the video lead of my DC pluged into my tv and the audio of the xbox leads in to the tv and the vga in the monitor.... messy. Ultimately i going to get a cheap surround sound system in jan sales

i remembered once on a old non scart tv i had with manual buttons, which you could change the refesh rate (flicking screen). I was trying to un the feet of fury demo (60hz only), manually changes the refresh rate, i got a clear image, and this was on a very old tv, and mid-late 80s tv. I have no idea what it did (maybe it dropped the refresh rate to 30hz, don't know if that works..) anyway it was playable

gdf
December 22nd, 2006, 19:12
i was wondering about this... im getting a 360 in the next week or so (will have enough money just after chrimbo) and im definitely getting GoW with it. my TV seems to support 60hz with my Dreamcast(tuned to ch. 1) but on my ps2 (ch. AV) it will only do 50 as in 60 hz it is black and white. im not sure if this is the TV, the AV channel or the way the ps2 is plugged in (composite leads in a SCART adaptor). this wasnt an issue till i noticed the 60 hz only on the front of the GoW box, so er... anyone know if the 360 (or at least Gears ') will work ok on AV channel on my bog standard tv?

Darksaviour69
December 22nd, 2006, 19:45
if it has av and scart, it should be fine. i think the black and white thing is a ps2 problem only...

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 22nd, 2006, 23:42
wats the deal with hzs anyways? and how can your 360 "know" the tv isn't right? i mean can it not just play the game messed up visually?

gdf
December 23rd, 2006, 15:26
not sure what you mean, but the 360 cant know if your tv is 50 or 60hz. you have to tell it if there is an option to choose. if the game is 60hz only it will output in 60hz whether your tv suports it or not.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 24th, 2006, 10:33
so how altered would the screen be?

Rich77
April 29th, 2007, 20:51
Hi, googled my way over because I have the same question as the OP!

I have a Panasonic TX-28DK2 which I bought in 2001, so you would think it would support 60hz; however, according to the manual, it only supports 50hz. If it does only support 50hz, is that likely to limit which games I can play if and when I buy my 360 (I am thinking more of future releases; is the trend more likely to be towards 60hz-only games)?

beetroot bertie
April 29th, 2007, 23:57
Maybe you can borrow a friends machine first to check it, as my TV (also from 2001 - A Sony model of some sort) is labeled as a 50Hz TV on the back but does offer PAL60 support. It's worked fine with my 360 and my Dreamcast before that. I could be that your TV will work despite what you've read so it might be worth checking if you can borrow someone's 360 or Dreamcast even.

Of the 9 games I have for my 360 only 2 are 60Hz only: Gears Of War and Pro Evo 6. Both state so on the back of the box and also have a big-ish 60Hz symbol on the fronts too. I guess this is due to time it would take to optimise the game for PAL 50Hz signals and means they can release the games quicker without the hassle and expense. Both of these games in my opinion were probably rushed out, Gears for a Chrimbo release and Pro Evo being pushed out by Microsoft (with considerable less content that the PS2 iteration)

As an alternative, you could always get a VGA cable for the 360 and hook it up to a PC monitor if you have one. Some games might not work though, Xbox Halo 2 being the only example I can think of.

EDIT: Halo 2 does work with VGA on 360. I bought a cable a couple of weeks ago and the game boots up fine (not played it though). From what I've read Halo 1 might not work with the VGA cable but I have no first hand experience as I don't have the game.

Rich77
April 30th, 2007, 20:12
Thanks for the reply. I've been in touch with Panasonic, and they reckon that the TV will support 60hz (it doesn't on my PS2, but I am led to believe this is more to do with the PS2 than the TV).

beetroot bertie
May 1st, 2007, 00:16
Yeah. From what I've read I don't think the PS2 has a PAL60 output which is what you need. It may output at NTSC but that is different to PAL60 and not much use unless you have a NTSC telly.

buzz_arduk
October 15th, 2007, 11:11
Hi,

I've just got an Xbox 360 last week. I have a pretty new TV which i thought would be fine. Has Scart and everything but to my dissappointment i've found that half the games are in black and white. When i change the setting to 50hz some games work but not all are supported.
I can change the setting back to 60hz but again, the games are black and white??

Is there anyway round this or do i need a new telly?

beetroot bertie
October 16th, 2007, 11:18
Could do with a little more info please.

What cable are you using to attach to your TV? Is it the split composite and component one that comes with the premium 360 with the scart adapter attached?

What kind of new TV do you have and what other connections are available to you? Does it have component inputs or VGA or does it just have scart sockets?

It could be your cable. You could unplug it, check it's clean etc and try putting it back in.

Just see what you've got both cable wise and sockets on TV wise and let us know.

If you're using the premium cable that's split into composite leads (red [audio right], white [audio left], yellow [video] plugs) and component (red, green and blue [all video]) you could try removing the scart adapter and ensuring the correct cables are attached to it (just the red, white and yellow in the matching colour socket on the adapter - ignore the 3 red, green and blue that are bunched together).

It could be just that you have an iffy cable.

If you're TV has component sockets (R, G, B + the White and Red for audio) you really should be using them rather than scart, the picture will be better. Also if you have a VGA socket you might want to consider getting a VGA cable which also produces a great quality picture.

If you're on a standard definition TV, just check all the cables are correctly matched up to the appropriate colours and that the switch on the underside of the TV cable plug (the one that plugs into the back of the 360) is set to the correct setting for your TV (either Standard Def or High Def).

My apologies if I've stated the obvious.