PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Console Regional Lock-Out Loophole

wraggster
December 11th, 2006, 18:24
Via kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/virtual-console/virtual-console-regional-lockout-loophole-220756.php)

Word is spreading that, like you could on the 360 before the Live Gods rained down their terrible vengeance, the Virtual Console has a little workaround in place to let users from different regions access content not otherwise available in their part of the world.

It's not quite as globally comprehensive as the 360's was, however, as it seems to only have been tested on PAL units: Australian consumers can switch their login details to the UK, which while sharing the PAL system actually has a slightly different Virtual Console lineup (Aussie owners should now be able to access the Turbografix titles, for example)

Heres what was posted at Neogaf (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133125)

Australian Wii owners can change their country settings to United Kingdom and access the Turbografix titles.

Once downloaded, you can change your settings back and the game channels remain.

Bonks Adventure FTW!

Get in quick before this loophole is closed.

Sorry if old...

Interesting, i wonder if this can be done on other regions ?

Hawq
December 11th, 2006, 18:43
I'm amazed we get the Turbografix games really, it never came out here officially so it was import only back in its day. Wonder if this means the regional lockouts may not be as bad as first thought? (even more so if this can be done with other regions o course)

mwstevens
December 11th, 2006, 19:21
It's interesting that no-one has mentioned (to my knowledge, i could be wrong here) the overlooked fact that the PAL units haven't been shipped with a startup disc like the NTSC american units...

would be interesting to see what one of those discs in a PAL machine would do (probably nothing, but you never know)

Ryupowerup
December 11th, 2006, 19:51
i got my Wii day 1, And live in the USA. There NO startup disc need or even came with my Wii
only got 1 disk in the wii box at it was Wii Sports

Strumtoo
December 11th, 2006, 20:18
wasnt it just the first batch of Wii's off the prod line that came with an update disc..?

mwstevens
December 11th, 2006, 21:27
i got my Wii day 1, And live in the USA. There NO startup disc need or even came with my Wii
only got 1 disk in the wii box at it was Wii Sports

maybe im mistaken, but im pretty sure I read on numerous websites that the US units in the 1st batch came with a startup disc?

brainpan
December 12th, 2006, 04:16
I have had my unit (USA) day one as well and have not needed a startup disc. There were reports about some people needing startup discs that didnt actually come with the Wii, but Nintendo Apparently replaced those units free of charge. I think this rumor got started because on a proto Wii box, it says on the side somehting about a startup disc.

bah
December 12th, 2006, 04:36
Originally there was to be a startup disc shipped with the console, but nintendo announced just prior to release they had pre-loaded the software onto the systems.
I read something about early boxes having mention of the disc, but it got covered up with a sticker. There were also reports of a few systems asking for the disc, as though somehow they missed out on having the software loaded onto the onboard flash.