PDA

View Full Version : How long does sony have left before we hack all the firmware?

buildit92
December 12th, 2006, 01:58
I was thinking awhile back about using the tiff explote in the 2.80 to make an eloader before it even came out. we have homebrew for almost all the firmware. but will we hack the 3.00 and higher or is the 2.80 exploit going to be the last one. this is an open quiestion. share your ideas about future exploits here so that hackers can look at this and hopefully someone will inspier them to try out a vaild exploit. i was thinking mabey using a .swf file that would reboot the psp and restart it with homebrew capibilty on it. i dont know if this would work (dout it, but still) if you got and exploit idea share it here. there is stuiped answers, only stuiped poeple.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Video_freak
December 12th, 2006, 01:59
Personally, I don't really care. 1.5 can emulate 3.0... :)

gunntims0103
December 12th, 2006, 02:02
ey video freak can yoou anwser something does devhook actaully emulate the firmwares features like the internet browser if so please run through how to set up dev hook i cant do it :(

turtleguy101
December 12th, 2006, 02:19
so long as there are losers who want to hack a handheld device, homebrew will progess through all the firmwares...i love losers....

andrew24
December 12th, 2006, 02:37
your a loser
________
Honda Unicorn history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Unicorn)

F9zDark
December 12th, 2006, 02:57
Well Sony was quick to update 3.00 to 3.01, so that must say something. I hope there are future hacks for the future firmwares. It saddens me to know that there are people out there just getting PSPs who will never know homebrew because of Sony's 'War on Homebrew'.

turtleguy101
December 12th, 2006, 04:54
your a loser

yeah........

andrewgabriel77
December 12th, 2006, 05:08
Well Sony was quick to update 3.00 to 3.01, so that must say something. I hope there are future hacks for the future firmwares. It saddens me to know that there are people out there just getting PSPs who will never know homebrew because of Sony's 'War on Homebrew'.

and 3.02 came out recently...but I think we're going to be seeing less "exploits" and more custom firmwares like SE where they have a 1.5 bootstrap and move the excess .prx's over to the MS. Or even a 2.71 bootstrap with HEN flashed to the Nand for the TA-082 psp's out there.

Video_freak
December 12th, 2006, 05:39
ey video freak can yoou anwser something does devhook actaully emulate the firmwares features like the internet browser if so please run through how to set up dev hook i cant do it :(

If you use the ultimate installer, it should install the whole firmware for you to emulate (that means all the features).

bah
December 12th, 2006, 06:19
I guess it depends what you mean by all firmwares.

Booster is doing a great job emulating the newer firmwares from 1.5/2.71 psps, but his work isnt accessible to anyone who buys a psp that comes with 2.80+ out of the box.

If a new downgrader-capable exploit is discovered in say 3.02, it will most likely be present in lower firmwares, and if not then people can always just upgrade then downgrade back to 2.71 and use HEN.

It would be as good as having all firmwares hacked, but the next day/week sony will bring out a new, patched revision and we'd no longer have 'all firmwares hacked'.

Sure, at the rate the psp is selling it would take a fair while for consoles to ship with that new firmware, but eventually it would. Or they'll modify the mobo again and this time prevent any firmware lower than 3.03 from running like the 2.5/2.6 (cant remember) lower limit of ta-82's.

Its a cat and mouse game between sony with their money and power to force changes, and a lot of very smart, determined people out there who want to have access to the hardware they purchased.

I, and we all, owe the latter a great debt of gratitude for sharing their work.

andrew24: if your going to insult someone, cant you at least do it with a little flair?

hawke213x
December 12th, 2006, 08:52
.....I estimeate within the next few years...perhaps by 2009.....

throughsilver
December 12th, 2006, 12:30
This might seem like a silly request, but can anyone point me to info about the various firmware upgrades (and what emulating them would mean) please?

I got my PSP from Japan in spring 2005. It is a 1.5 and I never upgraded it. Given the ensuing trend for homebrew, I'm glad of that. But what am I missing out on with these advances in firmware, and will emulation of them allow me to maintain the purity of my 1.5?

steve-b
December 12th, 2006, 13:13
devhook lets you emulate higher firmwares and gain all of their features...web browsing, flash, wma playback, music visualiser... all of this without actually upgrading your PSP. This also allows you to play games that require a firmware higher than 1.50 so you can homebrew AND play commercial games.

Russoxley187
December 12th, 2006, 15:11
devhook lets you emulate higher firmwares and gain all of their features...web browsing, flash, wma playback, music visualiser... all of this without actually upgrading your PSP. This also allows you to play games that require a firmware higher than 1.50 so you can homebrew AND play commercial games.

Music visualizer?
What FW is that in?
I have all of them, and I did not see that.
Maybe I missed it., that is a possibility.

Personally, I'm happy with the scene right now, I have two PSP's
1. 1.5 emulating FW 3.2
2. TA-82 HEN-D Emulating 1.5-3.2
That enables me to do anything with both...
Could not be happier...

tuta
December 12th, 2006, 15:30
visualizers on the music section press /\ while playing music

Gold Line
December 12th, 2006, 15:47
well there should be a downgrader for 2.80 before we get homebrew on 3.00

mikebeaver
December 12th, 2006, 19:51
well there should be a downgrader for 2.80 before we get homebrew on 3.00

Things dont always work out like that though do they?
If we get homebrew running on 3.0 it means more people can play all the great stuff the comunity makes and doesnt pi$$ sony off as much as if a downgrader comes out, allowing people to go back to older fw's where iso loaders were more prevailant.That is sony's main issue, unfortunately it's kinda hand in hand in thier eyes.

Russoxley187
December 12th, 2006, 20:46
I agree...
I think sony could really care less about homebrew...
Its just the Piracy and the same thing as mod chips.
It allowes you to play backups.
Alot of people are into piracy unfortunately...

flying_dutchman
December 12th, 2006, 20:49
No matter how you look at the updates and how hard Sony fights the hackers it's a battle they can not win.
Sony uses humans to write the codes and like Dark_alex once said codes can be broken down and re-written.
Sony does not have someone working for them who is smarter then the rest of the world so there will always be someone out there breaking up the security and make homebrew possible for the PSP.
Actually in my opinion sony should just give up since it's only costing them money. (but then we don't live in a dreamworld lol)

Edit; I think Russ makes a good point they couldn't care less about that. But still the fight against piracy is still one they can't win

perverted_monkey_x
December 15th, 2006, 01:58
Quick question: Does anyone know of a way to downgrade 3.02? I know that sounds incredibly naive (perhaps stupid), but I just got a PSP, upgraded to 3.02, and then found out that the dude who sold me the PSP with 10 games on E-Bay neglected to tell me that he just gave me a CD with ISO and CSOs instead of the actual mini-disks. Now I have 3.02 and can't play any of these games!

gunntims0103
December 15th, 2006, 02:04
Quick question: Does anyone know of a way to downgrade 3.02? I know that sounds incredibly naive (perhaps stupid), but I just got a PSP, upgraded to 3.02, and then found out that the dude who sold me the PSP with 10 games on E-Bay neglected to tell me that he just gave me a CD with ISO and CSOs instead of the actual mini-disks. Now I have 3.02 and can't play any of these games!

sorry to say that you cant downgrade a 3.02 firmware at the moment and you will probally not be able to for a while.....

perverted_monkey_x
December 15th, 2006, 02:06
Someone just informed me that my games are illegal. Ouch. Sorry for posting.

cha0ticbliss
December 15th, 2006, 02:27
Well, if you wanted you could stick it to the guy who sold it to you. He may have never said that they weren't umd's, but a buyer can assume that they will be umd's because any other format is illegal to sell.

hawke213x
December 15th, 2006, 12:24

Bully for you, but yeah, you can actually sue him or even inform the publishers of said games and they shall help you take care of this.

MikeDX
December 15th, 2006, 12:29
More importantly.. how long does sony have for the PSP in general? There's just nothing coming out for it!

hawke213x
December 15th, 2006, 18:05
Maybe they will get smart and offer a homebrew service? Lol....thatll be the day.

Perhaps something similar to the XBox XNA project? Or the PS3 homebrew thingy which I seriously thought I was gonna have an aneurism when I read about homebrew support?

OH!!!!! I GOT IT! Nice marketing ploy for Sony. I understand now!! They see how popular homebrew is on the psp....so they put homebrew support on the ps3 to generate better sales and considering the PSPs fledgling library which lets hope not but the ps3 may go the same direction, maybe better games? AHA! Wow, talk about foul on there part.

gunntims0103
December 15th, 2006, 19:43
More importantly.. how long does sony have for the PSP in general? There's just nothing coming out for it!

you mean how long does sony have "commercail gamming and firmare updating" for the psp.

Homebrew is still alive and well for the psp. the homebrew community has plenty of time ;)