PDA

View Full Version : MoonBooks brings classic literature to the Nintendo DS.

bobslack
December 12th, 2006, 21:59
MoonBooks is an extension of my Literary Greats library on cd project you’ve probably not heard of. These books are in the public domain and are formatted specifically for use with the fabulous MoonShell for the Nintendo DS.

I’m hoping this project, and any others like it will expand upon the interest programs like Brain Age has created in the video game industry, and cause Nintendo or some other company to release something like MoonShell (or any other text viewer) to the general public, as the books are already available and freely (and legally) available.

So basically... books in the public domain specifically formatted for use with MoonShell.

Oh yeah... here's the url: http://moonbooks.stonecypher.net

ikarimaru
December 13th, 2006, 02:52
They should make it so you can read them like you hold Brain Age (like a book)

Amethyst
December 13th, 2006, 03:07
It's all right, I guess. It's just a bunch of .TXT files so reading will be difficult and bookmarks are unavailable.

bobslack
December 13th, 2006, 03:54
It's all right, I guess. It's just a bunch of .TXT files so reading will be difficult and bookmarks are unavailable.
Actually, the text files are formatted so they are 'humanly readable' from within MoonShell. Also, with version 1.5 of MoonShell left and right shoulder buttons handle saving and loading bookmarks. :)

As you can tell, I'm a big time fan of MoonShell.

lightningdude
December 13th, 2006, 05:53
I'm not going to download this because it is hosted on Stonecypher's website. As I recall, Dragonminded had a problem with Stonecypher, ultimately leading to his end of updates to DSOrganize.

If it is a different Stonecypher, then I will retract this comment, but for Dragonminded's sake, I leave this here.

canvasch
December 13th, 2006, 14:59
who cares if two developers didn't get along............

all the guy does is take the books and put them in a .txt (they prolly were allready) and then he just buffers the pages so they read properly on the ds... it's a pretty tedious task so i imagine he made a program that does it for him....

what he should do is do the same for popular books... and just put a little "do not download if you don't own this book" next to it... it'll get him more recognition/hits...

Vegetable
December 13th, 2006, 16:43
I'm not going to download this because it is hosted on Stonecypher's website. As I recall, Dragonminded had a problem with Stonecypher, ultimately leading to his end of updates to DSOrganize.

If it is a different Stonecypher, then I will retract this comment, but for Dragonminded's sake, I leave this here.

You whiny little bitch. Dragonminded was planning to leave, Stonecypher called him out because he had planned to leave many times before, Dragonminded got all sandy vagina and cried on his blog and a bunch of morons like yourself blindly followed him and his dumbass Internet drama.

ikarimaru
December 13th, 2006, 17:15
Yikes... I try and stay away from this drama...

bobslack
December 14th, 2006, 03:59

Actually, I do do it by 'hand' so to speak. Here's what I had to say about the non legal books in a comment on moonbooks.

"I’m hoping to help build interest in a legitimate company like Nintendo to use the DS as a platform for not not just games, but reading books aswell. If I do anything less than legitimate and totally legal with MoonBooks it’d be pretty much going against the purpose of the project.

Also, that would be wrong. :)"

Personally, I don't know anything about the dragonminded stonecypher thing. I did mention implimenting a book download service into dsorganize's homebrew downloader, but dragonminded wanted to keep dsorganize more specialized. Althought it would have been cool to be able to scroll thru and select what books you download, i can certainly understand his reasoning.

Brandon a.k.a. BobSlack

by the way, if anyone wishes they can cut and paste this all they like. Just pointing out all the DragonMinded StoneCypher BookWarez stuff has been mentioned elsewhere...