PDA

View Full Version : PSP games region-free after all, but UMD movies locked

wraggster
March 25th, 2005, 19:02
We’ve reported before on the fact that some games for the PlayStation Portable do indeed sport a region-coding number, but now that the US games are finally out, we’re happy to note that Sony (as promised) did not put a region lock on any of their games. Which means that yes, you can play any Japanese game on that fresh, mint-condition, scratch-free PSP you just picked up (or if you’ve had a PSP for a few months, there’s now a few new American titles you can add to your library). Sony did lock up the UMD movies, so those of you with Japanese PSPs won’t get any Spider-Man 2 action.

Vimes220
March 25th, 2005, 19:27
so i will have to import US movies for my PSP, boo hoo, i will save money!

wraggster
March 25th, 2005, 20:58
yeah but you will get films earlier than uk release

wraggster
March 25th, 2005, 21:19
and i bet they crack the region thing soon enough

leggy
March 26th, 2005, 11:42
It has always been the case that the movies were going to be regionalised the same way as dvd's are - the movie houses want it that way.

Regarding the games, there was never any need to regionalise them.

Capnboebox
March 29th, 2005, 03:40
so i will have to import US movies for my PSP, boo hoo, i will save money!

Vimes220 or anybody else know any sites to import region 2 UMDs? This may sound like a stupid question, but are they in english? I have never imported any movies before. Thanks.

Vimes220
March 29th, 2005, 07:48
www.play-asia.com (http://www.play-asia.com) do region 2 movies on UMD, I believe that the audio is in english or japanese (you select) but i have not bought one yet (hey i aint got mi PSP yet) so i cannot confirm this. most people are spending around £90 - £100 on a 1gig memory stick and sticking movies on that.

just learn japanese LOL

leggy
March 29th, 2005, 11:12
Vimes - cheers for the link but the movies aren't available until April 13th.

CapnJoeBox
April 2nd, 2005, 22:04
I can wait until April 15th for movies. Thanx for the link.

aseddon130
April 2nd, 2005, 23:28
out of all the films they could have put onto UMD .... WHY OH WHY did they put the Punisher onto it? :o quite possibly the worst action film ever ... give me the Dolph Lundgren version anyday ...
http://www.universohq.com/cinema/images/punisher_cinema.jpg

out of all those UMD films i'd probably buy Hollow Man - cool film - but why wud i do that since i got it on DVD :s

same with the R1 UMDs, only film thats good on them is probably Pirates Of The Caribbean and i got the dvd of that also ... RELEASE BETTER FILMS DAMMIT !!

psplover
April 3rd, 2005, 00:19
It's hard to get people to wanna release films on umd since you can't play them on any other thing. Sony should make all there new dvd plays have a umd slot so you can play umd movies too. Try to push the umd format across alot of its mediums. Also Sony should make new Sony films movies come out on UMD 1 month before the DVD.

Vimes220
April 3rd, 2005, 08:12
now that would be class, movies 1 month early