PDA

View Full Version : Internet through USB?

Jmax
December 15th, 2006, 22:08
I was wondering if uts possilbe to connect to the internet using a usb cable, if you dont have a wireless access point.

MattZani
December 15th, 2006, 22:09
not without homebrew etc, and even then im not sure.

Jmax
December 15th, 2006, 22:13
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a homebrew app, or anything.

xtreameracer01
December 15th, 2006, 22:31
Im gonna be straight forward......NO.......even with homebrew application.......think about it, if you had to use the USB to get inernet, why dont you just use your coputer for internet instead of through the USB? I remember this being brought up when the PSP first came out, and nothing was done about it because you cant....

In a short answer......No......the answer is No....

Jmax
December 15th, 2006, 22:36
Thanks for the answer and explination. Its not for me anyway, a friend.. I get internet fine :)

F9zDark
December 16th, 2006, 03:10
Why can't it be done? All you need is a USB Host server on the computer, a PSP program for getting the pages from the server (maybe a screenshot every second, like the Remote PC View app) and have it print on the PSP. Nothing like a 'real' internet browser, but still functional through USB.

xtreameracer01
December 16th, 2006, 07:07
Why can't it be done? All you need is a USB Host server on the computer, a PSP program for getting the pages from the server (maybe a screenshot every second, like the Remote PC View app) and have it print on the PSP. Nothing like a 'real' internet browser, but still functional through USB.

Ok, fine......lets say you do that.......now how would that benefit you "internet wise" when you have your computer online with internet?

Jmax
December 16th, 2006, 18:20
Just because you have internet, doesnt mean is a wireless, and you dont have an acess point to connect to in order to play online games.

gdf
December 16th, 2006, 20:00
yeah, i agree with jmax. i haven't got an acess point nearby and i want to play sf:dark mirror online. i cant code for shit (i dont want to sound like im demanding any thing so dont take this the wrong way) so it would be nice if a psp dev could make an app like this...

m0th
December 17th, 2006, 04:42
There's no homebrew out that allows such a thing. You can possibly setup your computer to act as a wireless router if you have a wireless card and than just setup the PSP to connect to your computer. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

xtreameracer01
December 17th, 2006, 05:00
Just because you have internet, doesnt mean is a wireless, and you dont have an acess point to connect to in order to play online games.
I wasnt assuming that it would mean it being a wireless point.......

yeah, i agree with jmax. i haven't got an acess point nearby and i want to play sf:dark mirror online. i cant code for shit (i dont want to sound like im demanding any thing so dont take this the wrong way) so it would be nice if a psp dev could make an app like this...
And if a dev did try to work on it....it would be damn hard in order to have the program tell the UMD (any games actual code in the UMD) to read what the program says to use the USB to connect to the internet instead of wifi......im sorry......it would be too damn hard if even possible....

EDIT:
And even with that said......if you wait for this, your better off to just go buy a wireless router for $20-30 and never have to deal with this problem again....

Sharkey
December 17th, 2006, 05:43
You can possibly setup your computer to act as a wireless router if you have a wireless card and than just setup the PSP to connect to your computer. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

So I have to have a special kind of wireless card to do that? What kind of hardware exactly would I have to have?

I'd rather set it that way than bother with a router. Thanks for the link. :)

xtreameracer01
December 17th, 2006, 06:27
So I have to have a special kind of wireless card to do that? What kind of hardware exactly would I have to have?

I'd rather set it that way than bother with a router. Thanks for the link. :)

A router is not that hard to set up, if you READ the instructions and use common knowledge..... it can be done within minutes....i installed mine in about 5-8min.... not that hard...:thumbup:

MattZani
December 17th, 2006, 16:31
you can buy a thing from the creators of action replay i think, thats USB, and giuves out wireless.

Matt

gdf
December 17th, 2006, 16:41
i heard about it but was told it was a piece of useless crap. does anyone know if its good cos i could have heard a load of lies...

gamerremag
December 17th, 2006, 16:43
there is a usb wireless thing-a-ma-bob like the ds wifi for psp which you can get on ebay :p

andrewgabriel77
December 17th, 2006, 17:13
action replay's is called wifi max..but there are all kinds of usb wireless adapters available...just go to best buy and tell them what you want it for and they'll tell you what you need

m0th
December 18th, 2006, 08:45
I bought a rinky dink compUSA Wifi USB Adapter for like 20$. Its just an adapter about the size of one of those USB storage things you see nerds wearing around their necks or on their keychain. I dunno, its worked fine for me everytime Ive needed it.

As far as setting it up, the Microsoft website should have all the info. Im guessing you have a regular ethernet card for your DSL/Cable modem. All you should have to do than is slap in the Wifi USB Adapter, install the drivers. Than BRIDGE your existing Ethernet Card with the new USB adapter, set both your PSP and PC for adhoc and it should work.

BTW: Personally Id just get a router :T