PDA

View Full Version : Sony responds to PSP dead-pixel reports

wraggster
March 26th, 2005, 09:39
Soon after the PSP launched in Japan last December, reports began to surface that some units' LCD screens suffered from pixels that were either permanently light or dark. Within 24 hours of the portable's North American launch, similar complaints began to reverberate around the Internet. The locus of the complaints was, ironically, the official PlayStation forums, which was temporarily down yesterday following heavy traffic.

Some gamers' outrage over the perceived issue was fueled by an e-mail allegedly sent out by Canadian game retailer Video Games Plus. The e-mail said the company was "informed by Sony that they will not be warranting any dead pixel units. They are only warranting hardware defects ie [sic] broken buttons, malfunction with drive, and so on."

An informal survey of the dozen-odd PSPs in the GameSpot offices found half had at least one pixel that stayed white or dark constantly. While these dots were almost all invisible while playing games, they did stand out when displayed against a black or white screen.

While commonly referred to as a "defect," Sony says the off-colored pixel problem is common in all LCD screens. "A very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels is normal for LCD screens, and is not a sign of a malfunction," a representative for Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) told GameSpot.

Page 13 of the PSP manual puts it this way: "Red, blue, or green spots (bright spots) or black spots (dark spots) may appear in certain locations on the LCD screen. The appearance of such spots is a normal occurrence associated with LCD screens and not a sign of malfunction. LCD screens are made using highly precise technology. However, a very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels exist on each screen." The manual also warns against exposing the LCD screen to direct sunlight and leaving still images on the screen for an extended period of time, as both could damage the display.

The Sony rep suggested that PSP owners who encounter the pixel issue should try the device "for a week or two" to see if it continues to bother them. "If you find the spots are interfering with gameplay/video viewing during this period, we will support the various elements of [the PSP] warranty," the rep said. Each PSP comes with a one-year limited warranty, which is on page 125 of the PSP manual. If a PSP is "determined to be defective" by SCEA, the company will see to the "repair or replacement of this product [the PSP] with a new or refurbished product at SCEA's option."

According to a technical support associate contacted by GameSpot, PSP owners who encounter a persistent and aggravating dead-pixel issue should contact SCEA's customer service line (1-800-345-7669) for instructions on how to exchange their unit after a week or two of using the unit. "We will work with you," he assured. The associate said the process would work much like exchanging PlayStation 2s that suffer from the dreaded "Disc Read Error" problem: Gamers will mail their PSPs in to SCEA and receive units with new screens. The associate was unsure if customers would receive an all-new unit or their old unit with a new LCD screen.

steveola
March 26th, 2005, 10:57
God Sony make me puke!

They have cocked up big time with inferior quality screens, and are trying to wriggle out of it by claiming that this is normal????

I have owned many handhelds over the years, and not one has suffered from this 'normal' defect.

Also, what about LCD monitors and TV's ? If users have a dead pixel / pixels they are quite entitled to claim that it is not 'Fit for Purpose'.

I think they have cut production costs by using cheapo screens, and haven't bothered to soak test them during production. The fact that its mentioned in the manual suggests that they knew about this problem early on, but thought they could get away with, and decided to gamble on being able to blag the customer.

Now here is a typical example of what Sony really think of their customers, they are trying to b*llsh*t you all by claiming that this problem is 'Normal'.

I have never heard anything so outragous in my life.

Shame on Sony!!!

wraggster
March 26th, 2005, 11:15
what does a dead pixel look like anyway

anyone got a photo ofone ?

leggy
March 26th, 2005, 11:39
Nothing wrong with my screen.

I did read somewhere that the email that sony wouldnt repair the dead pixels was a spoof.

As far as I am aware if you buy an LCD screen there is an allowable number of dead pixels before the supplier has to repair it.

Hevyduty
March 26th, 2005, 15:22
Well, I'm 2-for-2 for screens with dead pixels. I'm in the US so I got a unit on launch, and it had a cluster of bright red pixels in the lower part of the screen. It was intolerable, and I took it back for an exchange. Then the new one I got last night has one bright red pixel. Since it's only one pixel, it's less noticeable. But it's also closer to the center of the screen than the ones on my first unit, so I tend to notice it more often.

For $250, this is a premium gaming machine. Premium gaming machines shouldn't have defects, and a dead pixel (in my case it's technically a stuck pixel, stuck on red) is a defect.

This is a classic case of Sony trying to call a bug a feature. I won't bother the store anymore with exchanges since it's not their fault, and it's gone beyond their responsibility. Besides, I can't help but feel that another exchange would result in yet another unit with yet another dead pixel. It's obviously a major, widespread problem.

It's like buying a really nice luxury car, getting all excited the day you pick it up, and when you get to the dealer, one of the tires is flat. It just ruins the moment. The dealer could preserve at least some of your enthusiasm by actively offering to fix it, but instead he says every tire has the possibility of a flat, so it's not technically a problem. After some haggling, he reluctantly agrees to fix it. But in the end, what should have been a fun and exciting moment turns into an unnecessary hassle and disappointment that you'll associate with that car for as long as you drive it.

That's how my last two days have gone. And that's how I feel about the PSP. I pre-ordered 7 weeks ago in anticipation of launch day. The big day comes, I turn on the machine for the first time, and every bad pixel was like a kick to the face.

Any enthusiasm I've had for the PSP is long gone now. With the money I've sunk into it, I still want to like it and enjoy it. But Sony's inability to deliver me a defect-free unit has pretty much ruined the whole experience. It definitely goes down as the most disappointing video game exerience of my lifetime, and my first game system was the Atari 2600. So I've been around a while.

Hey, it's just a game system. It's not like it's got me down about life or anything. It's just that when I look at my PSP sitting on the desk, I don't even want to turn it on. And here I was expecting that once I got one, I'd never want to turn it off. Quite a contrast.

For that reason, I'll definitely be sending my PSP to Sony for an exchange. It's a matter of principal really, such as getting what I paid for: a defect free unit.

Did Sony totally blow this launch? In my case they did, and that's all I can really speak to. Sony is no longer on my radar as a video game company. I don't care how spectacular the PS3 turns out to be. I'll pass.

-HD

Devlin
March 26th, 2005, 16:46
the PSP was never gonna stand a chance anyway
most people would buy it cos its got 'playstation' written on it.
the minority would make an informed choice cos it got games they like.
I would never buy a playstation of any kind of my own free will, and i prefer nintendo anyway.

buy a DS, they are much better.
they dont use cheapo screens, and they cost much less.

aseddon130
March 26th, 2005, 16:52
mine doesnt have any dead pixels, neither does my dads, so i suppose we're lucky. my PSP has a slight indentation on the screen and it does make the screen around that little area a little funny, you can only see it when its turned off or when u actually look at it very hard whilst playing a game, it really doesnt bother me because its invisible when playing a game.

i am very very happy with what sony has made, shame for the people like hevyduty who hasnt been too happy with his experience with his PSP(s), cannot blame him really. The PSP is going to be massive in the UK (when they finally release it) and im sure the PSP is going to do well in the USA, so despite the 'dead pixel' problem there is, Sony aren't very worried i think.

Clare
March 26th, 2005, 18:27
I have actually got one perminant white pixel on my screen. I'm in the UK and it's not officially released here, so I'm not sure where I stand on getting a replacement.

wraggster
March 26th, 2005, 18:42
depends where you brought it from.

I got mine from a UK supplier but unless i had an anoying dead pixel i wouldnt bother replacing it.

Is there anyway of fixing dead pixels ? yourself

tidusuk123
March 26th, 2005, 23:00
my sold jap psp had 5 stuck pixels and were could only be seen when the screen went black - but still it pissed me off that i paid £200 and four dots made it feel more like a £20 product.

Hevyduty
March 26th, 2005, 23:45
my sold jap psp had 5 stuck pixels and were could only be seen when the screen went black - but still it pissed me off that i paid £200 and four dots made it feel more like a £20 product.

Couldn't agree more. If it not for the defects, I'd be loving the PSP. Instead, I can't help but feel like I've been cheated by paying top price for a faulty product.

Everytime I turn on my PSP and that blazing red pixel pierces my cornea, it's just a reminder of how this is one purchase that just didn't work out for me. I'm glad to hear that others have had better experiences though.

-HD

Zaneblade
March 27th, 2005, 00:45
Is there anyway of fixing dead pixels ? yourself

nope there isnt! well not with the psp anyway!! i did here of some1 with a DS on the net and they used the stylus and rubbed the dead pixel
out!

The PSP is going to be massive in the UK (when they finally release it) and im sure the PSP is going to do well in the USA, so despite the 'dead pixel' problem there is, Sony aren't very worried i think.

thats the overall problem!! sony dont gve a rats ass because they know its going to sell anyway!

i think in the end the amount of money the psp cost should ensure you get a good high quality screen!! also i have heard alot about the screen getting scratched very easily so tey havnt protected it well either!!! all sony want to do is maximise profit!

Mimx
March 27th, 2005, 07:21
I got 2 systems and neither one of them had a dead pixel. I think the UPS man that delivered to all the other stores drop kicked the PSP boxes around for a while before they were delivered.

Vimes220
March 27th, 2005, 11:31
My PSP should be hear in the next 2 weeks, i will let you know if there are any dead/stuck pixels on it.

leggy
March 27th, 2005, 12:23
Well, I had none on mine and it is great!!

azn_hardc0r3
March 27th, 2005, 18:05
i actually have a bunch of small scratches INSIDE THE LCD! nd 2 pixels that doesnt turn black when the screen does...

rbervoets
March 27th, 2005, 20:43
what does a dead pixel look like anyway

anyone got a photo ofone ?

The dead pixel is in RED

wraggster
March 27th, 2005, 21:25
5 dead pixels eh jesus

leigh
March 27th, 2005, 22:37
ive got one constant black pixel!

leggy
March 28th, 2005, 00:02
rbvoerts - those look much bigger than single pixels. I think that is a doctered photo.

andrew
March 28th, 2005, 00:41
ive got one constant black pixel!
is that a dead pixel lol i must have several but it dont affect me lol stil looks stunning i cnt even see them unless i look propley

andrew
March 28th, 2005, 00:44
oh no i aint lol just bit of dust i cant find any dead pixels

tidusuk123
March 28th, 2005, 01:13
I think most people don't notice that their unit has dead pixels - probably because they don't know what they are!!

I think everyone should look at theirs and complain to Sony.

Those that say that it is not a big issue then expect the 'PSP 2' to have similar problems. It is better to let organisations know about certain problems so that they are not repeated in future products.

Do the american units also have the less responsive button like the Jap units?

And just to get the records straight for those that do not know:

a coloured or white dot on the screen is a 'stuck' pixel where it remains a certain colour and never changes.

a black dot on the screen that never goes away is a 'dead' pixel.

I have my Nintendo DS and no problems with pixels - If it had a movie player and MP3 player then the PSP would have little to show. I love the DS and think you guys should all get a DS.

I hear so many things about the PSP and how bright, large, and gorgeous then widescreen screen is. Too bad it has dots all around - and for sony to say that it is not a big deal??? Of course they would say that - they have the dosh, you have a screen to play dot to dot with!

I had my PSP but sold it. When the UK version is released then I will open it in the store and have a GOOD look at it and change the unit each time there are dead pixels.

slayerpsp
March 28th, 2005, 01:27
the first japan one i had got had 8 dead pixels so i took it back the next one i got had none. now i just got the usa version the first one i got had three dead pixels so i returned that one for the one i have now which has no dead pixels i will not put up with it mine were the white ones you could see them on the screen anytime it was dark and games like need for speed are at night so you could see them it would drive me crazy. if you buy a psp get it it from target you can keep taking them back intill you get one with out the dead pixels as long as you get the same thing they let you return open systems

slayerpsp
March 28th, 2005, 01:46
I think most people don't notice that their unit has dead pixels - probably because they don't know what they are!!

I think everyone should look at theirs and complain to Sony.

Those that say that it is not a big issue then expect the 'PSP 2' to have similar problems. It is better to let organisations know about certain problems so that they are not repeated in future products.

Do the american units also have the less responsive button like the Jap units?

And just to get the records straight for those that do not know:

a coloured or white dot on the screen is a 'stuck' pixel where it remains a certain colour and never changes.

a black dot on the screen that never goes away is a 'dead' pixel.

I have my Nintendo DS and no problems with pixels - If it had a movie player and MP3 player then the PSP would have little to show. I love the DS and think you guys should all get a DS.

I hear so many things about the PSP and how bright, large, and gorgeous then widescreen screen is. Too bad it has dots all around - and for sony to say that it is not a big deal??? Of course they would say that - they have the dosh, you have a screen to play dot to dot with!

I had my PSP but sold it. When the UK version is released then I will open it in the store and have a GOOD look at it and change the unit each time there are dead pixels. ther are no games to play on the ds unless your like ten its crap at the store i work at we had more then 20 ds turned in towards the psp you can get a used ds very easy in the usa already people in the states have pretty muched stoped buying it the ds will be just like the gamecube nothing to play if your an adult. nintendo is done they will no longer rule the handheld market. how can they when you look at the two systems do you want a ps2 in your hands or a n64 thats easy for me i want a ps2 to you like dvd or vhs dvd of course the psp is dvd the ds is vhs its old my ngage has better games then the ds and they are all free.the psp is out for only 4 days now in the usa and they have more games then the ds that came out in nov there is something wrong with that in my book 3rd party games are few and far on the ds nobody wants to make games for it. so go buy a ds if you need a paper weight how many times can you play a mario game anyways nintendo kings of the remakes lets just resale all the same crap we have been saleing for years they have no new ideas at all and all the nintendo fan boys keep wasting there money on the same old games. its just sad the whole classic line up on the sp sold millions of copies when you can get all of those games for free and i can have them on my ngage with either a mame emu or nes emu and i didnt have to pay 20 for each game that i already bought when i was ten. nintendo is lame they dont care about the older gamers at all just look at there games and you can see that oh boy a new zelda game is coming who the **** cares anymore................ too many people thats why they will keep going because of a couple of games sad just sad

tidusuk123
March 28th, 2005, 03:49
First of all, it took me so long just to understand what you wrote - try using these . and , - they really help.

Secondly, yes i'd rather have something different than a PS2 because it gives me a chance to play some N64 titles that i missed out on - so remakes are a good thing in my opinion.

Thirdly, to say Nintendo doesn't have any ideas...Hello?? TOUCHSCREEN.

Fourthly, I have an NGAGE - don't bother comparing the two because that just means that you haven't even played a DS.

I agree that most games are for younger teenagers, but there are games, and games being developed that are aimed at adults, and yes, Zelda is a big deal - again you would only care about Zelda if you had played them in the past. Those that have would know what a Zelda game is made of and believe me, they are much better than a lot of PS2 games. It's like a Final Fantasy for a Nintendo.

If you want to talk about emulators then why buy a handheld or console at all? Just download and play free roms.

I'm not saying that the DS is better than the PSP or vice versa. The point I was trying to make is that Sony is overpricing their products (nothing new) and are giving you defected PSPs - you should make it clear to Sony that you are unhappy so that they will do something for future products. On the other hand, Nintendo suffered less from dead/stuck pixels and have offered to fix any system with even 1 dead/stuck pixel unlike Sony where you need a reasonable amount.

Nintendo are not dead in the gaming industry. I think they will put up a strong fight against competitors including Sony. I will also buy a UK PSP when it is released and everyone knows that it will be very successful. But unless you let these companies know, you will just keep on recieving items with defects while they grow richer. Try to think instead of getting carried away in a petty DS vs PSP war.

Clare
March 28th, 2005, 09:28
Actually, my pixel isn't very annoying, it's not mega bright and I hardly ever notice it. When the PSP comes down in price I will eventually buy another one after inspecting it and probably sell this one on eBay.

leggy
March 28th, 2005, 11:59
tiduski - but I bought my PSP to play games / listen to music / watch films and because of it's future upgradeability.

Will you DS do all of that?? - no, I didn't think so!

Also, mine and most others don't appear to have pixel problems.

But heh, you like the DS and that is your perogative.

If you really dislike the PSP why don't you post on the DS forum?

MetaFox
March 28th, 2005, 12:38
tiduski - but I bought my PSP to play games / listen to music / watch films and because of it's future upgradeability.

Will you DS do all of that?? - no, I didn't think so!Yes actually, just not out of the box. ;)

tidusuk123
March 28th, 2005, 13:18
Leggy - you must have reading problems. Try to read what I wrote once again, it may help. Maybe then you will realise the point I was trying to make.

tidusuk123
March 28th, 2005, 14:54
And the answer to your other question - just like Metafox mentioned - Play Yan.

Vimes220
March 28th, 2005, 22:42
have done, don't like it.
My own personal opinion but hey thats what these forums are for.