PDA

View Full Version : PSP: PSP vs. Nintendo DS

jbonett
December 17th, 2006, 07:22
Both the PSP and Nintendo DS are good systems to pass the time playing games with, although which one is better can only be judged by the preferences of the person playing with them. If you prefer an upgraded gameboy system with added pen support then go for the Nintendo DS, although do not expect any ground breaking graphics or sound from the system, this on the other may be what it may appeal you and that is simplicity, in fact thats why many small kids still play with a gameboy these days. The psp on the other hand is a relatively new breed of machine which earns the respect of being much more powerful, the games will get better for sure as they will definitely use the power better in the future. If you like the sony playstation consoles, the psp is a better choice. It really depends on your particular likes and dislikes. Anyone who says that any of the portable consoles will disappear is very much in my opinion stupid…and anyone which starts talking about sales and other stuff misunderstood the whole argument…

gdf
December 17th, 2006, 15:41
you're right about the preferrence thing. most people here bought psps for homebrew and homebrew alone. the ds lite is a much solider system to hold, unlike with my psp when im scared it will fall and smash, and doesn't have a crappy stick or sticky square button. but i still prefer psp purely for homebrew and the fact that its a very powerful portable that can have "proper" 3d games. on gameboy it was 2d etc... also the psps commercial games are getting better now too: mgs:po, ffvii:cc, killzone, gta vcs etc etc

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 19:31
hmm, but i'll surely go for the PSP.. i dont like Nintendo's ;)

xg917
December 18th, 2006, 20:45
i can play nintendo on my psp, so yea.. PSP it is, :P lol

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 21:17
How do you play nintendo on your PSP?? never heard that before :D

VampDude
December 20th, 2006, 02:10
PSP is better, DS is on crappy little "out dated" cartridges!

Junixx
December 20th, 2006, 02:45
Heheh......and then theres the GP2X :p

Look at the battery life between the two though :rofl:

I will agree to an extent that the PSP homebrew is better, but DS homebrew is getting better as is the commercial games are for PSP, but for a larger library of games, I'd have to say the DS...

jak66
December 20th, 2006, 16:30

Yet those crappy out dated cartridges are much harded to break than UMDs (not one of my DS cartridges broke when i had a DS, but about half of my UMDs have had the clear circle in the middle snap out)

To be honest, the PSP graphics isnt important to me, neither is the new features of the DS, but more the quality and gameplay of the games released. After all, whats the point in paying £30 for a game that has lifelike visuals, but only lasts you a couple of hours. May as well have a 2D game that lasts at least a few days (Zelda: A Link To The Past anyone?)

weirdelf
December 20th, 2006, 17:04
How do you play nintendo on your PSP?? never heard that before :D

Using a gba/snes/nes emulator

gdf
December 21st, 2006, 20:29
yeah stump, with emulators, em...only on 1.0, 1.5, 2.71SE,2.71 HEN, and all f/ws with eloaders. (man you have loads of posts for someone who knows so little about psp homebrew an' stuff. btw no offence man!)

dongle
January 1st, 2007, 00:51
both. the ds has a more interesting game library (electroplankton, phoenix wright, contact, etc), but the psp has metal gear and loco roco and the like, plus a better homebrew emulator scene.

it's more fun developing for the ds, though.

Abgoj
January 1st, 2007, 01:26
I think that the psp is just a simply amazing console. nes, snes, genesis, n64, PSone all in one. Add that on top of it's current games library and video features and music capabilities and...well...need I say more

mikebeaver
January 9th, 2007, 15:41
I have both, a DSand a PSP
I really like the DS and think it isreally inovative, the only problem is that all the games I wanted to play, I have and now they are finished and played to death im bored.
So I got a PSP for my birthday and havent looked back since, the fact that there arent many games I like doesnt bother me, as im constantly either playing the few games I like, running emu's with classic games I havent played for a long time or keeping upto date with the latest news on the "scene", it may not have the best comercial games collection at the moment, but it certainly has the most active community around, there is always something new to look at.
I think both consoles have a market and can happily survive in thecurrent climate for a few years to come.

chrono75
January 30th, 2007, 01:11
Well, I have a DS Lite and a PSP and my DS Lite has been collecting dust for the last month or so and I still use my PSP almost everyday... I do believe the PSP rules over the DS both power and feature wise. But damn, the DS sure does have some kickass games!

TeenDev
January 30th, 2007, 01:15
DS is way more sexy... sexy, sexy, sexy

gdf
January 30th, 2007, 18:54
people way undresetimate the psps commercial games. there are lots of shit ones, but there is a little goldmine of classics to find and improved games on the way(FF anyone?)

buckyohare
February 2nd, 2007, 13:47
I choose PSP if only for what it can do beyond playing games. Just wait until the PS3 comes out and you can sync them together. Eventually you'll be able to access everything on your PS3 with your PSP through Wi-Fi. A long these lines I'm also liking all the other non-gaming advantages of the PSP such as sites like Feed Your PSP (http://www.feedyourpsp.com) where there are videos made espically for PSP users.

It gets my vote anyway.