PDA

View Full Version : Exploit with gamepicture possible in 2.82?

CrazyT
December 17th, 2006, 08:57
Today i tested a bit around with my psp with FW 2.82 and found out that you can define any size for your game-icon-picture.
A size of 4095*1023 (and some other sizes,too) produces a hanging of your psp.
(sometimes you can not even poweroff your psp ... only restart it by removing the akku)
Just thought the information can be helpful, because some people search for a possible exploit for 2.82 ... so maybe this is one possible way.
I attached the file that i used for testing ...
(this attachement is no downgrader or something like that it JUST PRODUCES A CRASH OF YOUR PSP ... it is only for exploit-devs that know how to work with bufferoverflows & co., unfortunately i have no tools on my psp to see if it is really a bof ... that's why i posted that, so that other people could check that)

splodger15
December 17th, 2006, 11:32
I think it crashed due to the fact the image was to big

CrazyT
December 18th, 2006, 09:12
I know that the size is too big ...
But i do not know if this is because of a bufferoverflow or because of an out-of-memory-error.
But there are people out there that have the tools to test that.
(a bufferoverflow could be helpful because you can mostly run code with that)

hawke213x
December 19th, 2006, 18:17
Hmmm....lets hope.

CrazyT
December 21st, 2006, 16:02
some things are evidences that it could be a bof ...
for example it does not depend on the number of games that are already installed.
(wich means ... it is maybe no out of memory error because a size smaller than the 1 given in the image never crashes ... but the size of the given image allways crashes ... no matter how many games are installed (more games -> more pictures to load))
2nd thing is that it does just depend on the visible size of the image not on the disk-space(no matter what image tool you use, it allways crashes on that (and some other) size)

PS:I wonder how Dark_Alex managed it to create an exploit without beeing able to use debug-tools :/ .

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 17:20
PS:I wonder how Dark_Alex managed it to create an exploit without beeing able to use debug-tools :/ .

Its called Coding.Quite a few people know how to do it

CrazyT
December 21st, 2006, 17:53
Its called Coding.Quite a few people know how to do it

wow ... you are a genius ... how to make a prog work on a psp that does not have homebrew and does not support it, because you need tools to make homebrew work rofl.

dejkirkby
December 21st, 2006, 18:04
CrazyT, what's the point in arguing with a coder when, by your post, it seems you have very little knowledge of what you are talking about.

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 18:07
, because you need tools to make homebrew work.

LOL you need Cygwin installed and coding knowlegde.

What kind of tools do you mean.

What like a hammer and screwdriver

CrazyT
December 21st, 2006, 18:07
-_- cos im a coder ,too
but no psp-coder
just for interest ... im a delphi,vb and assembler programmer.
(mostly wrote trainers and other stuff for games)
With tools i mean programs like debuggers ... to get the knowledge of the reason of an error.
(like offset adress, type of error,etc.)

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 18:28
I dont think there is Debuggers i just use Notepad ++

cloud_952
December 21st, 2006, 18:57
O_o This forum is markedly hostile to new people sometimes. I understand the attitude, and often I do the same.. but this guy's just trying to help out and making suggestions. His questions are even valid. This isn't like the traditional "Why don't we just plug a keyboard into the PSP" thread.

Cut the guy some slack..

CrazyT
December 21st, 2006, 19:07
Maybe they realy treat me like a newbie because im a newbie on this board ... i visited another board before ... unfortunately i did not found any usable answer.
(very similar to here)
Maybe some do sometimes not understand my kinda strange english ... this is because i'm German.

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 19:14
Your english is fine i can understand it very well. But i am trying to work out what cloud 952 is talking about

cloud_952
December 21st, 2006, 19:50
splodger, not much of my comment was directed towards you. ^_^ Actually, it was more directed towards [dejkirkby], who seems to believe that he not only knows everything, but that he can and should treat anyone how he pleases.

It's also just a truism. This forum is hostile to new members at times. Mostly because a few idiots who really have no clue what they're talking about have ruined it for everyone else. The 300th time you reply with "For the love of God, no ISOs!", you get a little tired. But I just find that new members here get automatically clumped into that category.

dejkirkby
December 21st, 2006, 19:58
splodger, not much of my comment was directed towards you. ^_^ Actually, it was more directed towards [dejkirkby], who seems to believe that he not only knows everything, but that he can and should treat anyone how he pleases.

It's also just a truism. This forum is hostile to new members at times. Mostly because a few idiots who really have no clue what they're talking about have ruined it for everyone else. The 300th time you reply with "For the love of God, no ISOs!", you get a little tired. But I just find that new members here get automatically clumped into that category.

I have never claimed to know everything and the fact you have decided to slate me shows you to be as shallow as you make me out. Try reading through the majority of my posts and you will see that I do my best to help lots of people with a whole plethora of problems. I know my limitations and try to put people on the right track. I also try to defend my fellow members and be a peacemaker in many cases. In slating me, you have really offended me. I find it quite pathetic that the new "flavour of the month" is to flame people. Grow up, boy.

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 20:09
it was more directed towards [dejkirkby], who seems to believe that he not only knows everything, but that he can and should treat anyone how he pleases.

Now thats not fair you cant judge someone like that. I am good friends with dejkirkby and is very good at helping people out with their problems that they have. dejkirkby can always calm down heated situations were others can't.

Everyone only has a certain amount of knowledge some know things that others dont.

cloud_952
December 21st, 2006, 20:35
Everyone only has a certain amount of knowledge some know things that others dont.

Then I find it ironic that dejkirkby makes the assumption that the author of this thread knows nothing about coding and thus has no business "arguing with a coder". This same statement should be applied to all. This is not the first situation I've seen such rash replies, nor do I imagine it's the last.

The guy brought up an idea, and no one here has done much other than suggest the guy knows nothing of what he's talking about, has no business to open his mouth in front of a sacred one (due to the fact that he doesn't have "coder" written under his name. I don't have it either, but that doesn't mean I don't do work in CIS). He asked seemingly legitimate questions, and asked about debugging programs. o_O Notepad ++ is not the type of debugging he's talking about here, that's low level error-checking. NOT debugging or troubleshooting. All high-level coding involves lots of debugging, so I'm not sure what people are having a problem with here.

Oh my gosh, I've been called shallow. Such a shame. Anyway, out of respect for the author, I'm leaving his thread be. More than happy to take this up in PM.

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 20:48
^ ^
You seem to be lacking something Intelligence comes into my mind.

All i said was that Creating a Image that big would cause the PSP to crash its not a exploit.

And what the hell are you talking about here "has no business to open his mouth in front of a sacred one"

Look you need to grow up a bit

dejkirkby
December 21st, 2006, 20:55
You know what, I quit. I don't need this BS. I ain't gonna help people anymore.

gunntims0103
December 21st, 2006, 21:31
Everyone just cool out, Iv read all the post in this thread and you guys are creating conflict for relitively no reason at all.

CrazyT mearly asked a question and opened a thread and such which is nothing wrong with that.

splodger15 anwsered and replied in a respectfull manner from what iv seen so theres no fault there.

cloud_952, i just think that you jumped the gun a bit in what you are saying no one is treating anyone like a noob and everything is just fine. Relax a little bro, some users just asume things by post count and user title is all...

dejkirkby didnt "claim" that he knew everything from what i read and he didnt do anything wrong. dejkirkby dont let other users discourage you from helping around the scene.

Now that i cleared that up lets keep the thread on topic and i dont want to read any more of this or infractions will be giving out.....

--back on topic---

splodger15
December 21st, 2006, 21:42
It what cloud 952 that got everything heated

cloud_952
December 22nd, 2006, 01:45
It what cloud 952 that got everything heated

o_O Didn't the moderator say this is all over with? That we're done? Why is it that we're going back to name calling and saying that "it's all [my] fault"? Maturity at its finest, dear sir. Right, right. Don't call the teacher on me.

Since this is clearly going out of hand, I ask that, if a moderator could, the pointless posts in this (mine included) get removed. I still think that what the person was suggesting is at the least worth considering, and if not, he at least deserves the respect and help in finding the tools he's looking for. But, hey, apparently I'm wrong.

I apologize to the author for this getting out of hand.

splodger15
December 22nd, 2006, 10:08
Or mod just lock this thread

CrazyT
December 22nd, 2006, 17:56
strange ... there is already a png-exploit avaiable.

http://files.pspupdates.qj.net/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,32,1364

maybe they forgot to add a check in the game pictures(and so you can use a changed version of this exploit) ... lets hope ... maybe it is usable ... i will keep on trying more tests

The buffer makes a jump to the VRAM which has the PNG colours
by overwriting the safed ra (return address) on the stack.

sadly the exploit was not in the png itself ... it was just the buffer for the code ;_;
(next time i should read the whole article ;_;)

splodger15
December 22nd, 2006, 17:59
Look at the date

23/09/2005

CrazyT
December 22nd, 2006, 18:02
For what?
As i said ... sony fixed some bugs .. but maybe they forgot some positions that are similar to known exploits.