PDA

View Full Version : Hands On: Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core

wraggster
December 17th, 2006, 22:15
Article from IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/751/751423p1.html)

Shocker from this year's Jump Festa. Remember the PSP entry in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII series? You know, the one that's known officially as "CC," or "Crisis Core," but is often referred to as "VW," or "Vaporware"? It's very real. And it's going to make you look at Sony's portable gaming system in a whole new way!

Square Enix debuted the first playable version of Crisis Core at the Jump Festa event in Tokyo this weekend. IGN braved the hour wait to see what the two years of near silence has been about. We walked away with a limited edition Crisis Core PSP case and the conviction that Square Enix's programmers have unlocked new powers hidden deep within the system.

Crisis Core, in case you weren't paying attention the few times that Square Enix has actually talked about the game, tells the story of Zack, an elite soldier in the Shinra Corporation who appeared only momentarily in the main Final Fantasy VII game as a past friend of Cloud. Here, he gets a full game built around his adventures fighting for the Shinra in the build up to FFVII.

The playable demo had two scenarios. The first scenario started off with Zack in his home base. His commander orders him out on a mission to investigate a missing soldier. Sephiroth, the villain from FFVII, had been ordered to do this particularly important mission, but had rejected the order. Following this opening sequence, Zack and a Turk head off to a mountainside area where they begin their investigation, revealing lots of story details as they converse. The scenario came to an end with a few simple fights followed by a big boss fight versus Ifreet.

The second scenario started off in a forest, with Zack and another character already out on a mission. Following a few simple battles, Zack faces off in a stand-off with a dozen or so guards, with new ones appearing as you defeat the current set. Clear this, and you enter a castle, and face off against two giant beasts simultaneously.

Crisis Core has action and menu-based elements. You have full control over Zack when moving around, and can rotate the camera with the left and right triggers. Every now and then, you'll get into a random battle. The battle takes place on the same screen as regular movement, with no transition or loading.

But the controls do change a bit. While you're still free to move Zack around the battle field, the right and left triggers select a command from a command bar, which is then executed by pressing the X button. In the demo, Zack had a number of commands available to him. To attack enemies, you set the command bar to attack. Spells like fire, blizzard, cure and their higher level counterparts are also located on the command bar and used in the same fashion, although they deplete magic points with each use.

When the command bar is set to attack, the game has somewhat of an action feel to it, especially given that you can use square to perform a quick roll maneuver and triangle to block incoming attacks. The only thing missing is a jump.

Battles consist of multiple enemies on screen at once, sometimes totaling over 12. Some enemies can be taken out with standard blade attacks, while others are positioned on higher ground and require that they be knocked out with spells. As you might expect, some spells are more effective against certain enemies; a fire spell won't work against Ifreet, for instance.

I couldn't figure out a way to target specific enemies. It seems that the game automatically targets the closest enemy, and changes the target automatically as you move around. This wasn't a problem in the demo, and that will hopefully be the case in the final.

I also couldn't get the details on another prominent gameplay system. The top-left corner of the screen houses a roulette which, from time to time, rewards Zack with some sort of power up. One of these power ups resulted in a screen-clearing summon spell.

From a strictly gameplay standpoint, Crisis Core seems solid, with a fast pace and the potential for a good mix of action and menu-based battle systems. But my attention at Jump Festa was focused on something besides the gameplay.

Taken strictly on technical merits, Crisis Core is the most impressive PSP game I've ever played. In fact, with the PSP's small screen providing an assist, I'd go so far as to say that Crisis Core looks better than most PS2 games out there.

During cinematic scenes, the character models are detailed and fully animated. Battles contain screens with double digit enemies, and giant bosses. All that, and full voice, wihtout any pauses for loading!

The Ifreet boss was particularly impressive. In addition to showing off gorgeous fire effects, with Ifreet himself engulfed in flames as he fights, at one point during the demo, Ifreet cast a full-motion-video based summon spell of his own. The game managed to switch into and out of the full motion video sequence without turning to a blank screen.

Crisis Core seems almost too technically sound to be a PSP game. It also appears to have some of the highest production values yet seen in a portable game. A trailer for the game shown in the Square Enix closed theater space had real time cinematic sequences featuring the likes of Cloud and Aerith, along with quality CG sequences.

Personally, I think all the "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII" products released so far have been second rate. But Crisis Core looks so good that it could turn things around on its own. It all depends, of course, on how compelling a game Square Enix manages to put together in the end. They've waited this long, so let's hope they don't rush things and end up giving us a game worthy of the FFVII name.

Xiofire
December 17th, 2006, 22:28
Sounds cool, will be buying this when its released.
-Xiofire

Avenyet
December 17th, 2006, 22:59
*drools over floor* finally some real news about the game been waiting since 1997 for this its might actually explain somthing about ff7!!!!!

the mad thing is this might be the only thing that will make me upgrade my psp bravo SE now we've just got to hope that SE bring the ps3 to life with a remake of ff7...

mikebeaver
December 17th, 2006, 23:08
Thia my MOST antisipated release this year, i have to admit im a final fantasy fanboy, but im looking forward to this much more than FF12 on PS2, and i bought a new PS2 just to play that when it comes out! lets just hope they do some kind of special edition or something.

foxzoner
December 17th, 2006, 23:30
when does the demo come out?

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
December 17th, 2006, 23:41
MUST BUY~~~ you are making me want it even more now!!!!!!

dj2005
December 17th, 2006, 23:45
Can't wait, hope they don't keep bumping the release date up (like they are known to do and have already done).

dootiez
December 18th, 2006, 00:39
I know I'll buy this for sure. We gotta support developers to have them make killer titles for the PSP.

Joe100517
December 18th, 2006, 01:13
Yesssss I am looking forward to this game so much! I mean, I was definitely buying it no matter what because I looooovvvveee FF7, BUT it sounds way better than I imagined it would be! IGN was totally loving it in that review and they even said it looks better than most PS2 games! That's awesome.....

Basil Zero
December 18th, 2006, 04:15
man, this will be the best PSP game

titch.ryan
December 18th, 2006, 07:18
this is going to be one of the few psp games that is actaully worth paying for!!

I cant wait bring on the demo

VampDude
December 18th, 2006, 07:33
all the FinalFantasy games are worth buying!

IHadToReRegisterwtf
December 18th, 2006, 08:10
No, dirge of cerberus was a terrible game. I'm ashamed I spent 50 bucks on it, when it was released. And I'm pretty sure this games going to be the same thing. It's just milking the final fantasy VII license.

TacticalBread
December 18th, 2006, 08:17
No, dirge of cerberus was a terrible game. I'm ashamed I spent 50 bucks on it, when it was released. And I'm pretty sure this games going to be the same thing. It's just milking the final fantasy VII license.

Do you even like any games?

or are you here just to hate games?

IHadToReRegisterwtf
December 18th, 2006, 09:17
Do you even like any games?

or are you here just to hate games?

You seem to like all games, when most games are crap and good games are rare. And besides that shit, if sony tries to pull a firmware update with this game. I'm not getting it, losing homebrew isn't worth an update to play this game. Sony loses more money then they gain money when they try to force people to update there firmwares with games.

Paiku
December 18th, 2006, 12:36

You're making judgements way to early, making you look like a bitch.

IHadToReRegisterwtf
December 18th, 2006, 13:03
You're making judgements way to early, making you look like a bitch.

Fanboy, I bet you wet yourself when dirge of cerberus came out. Even though that game blew ass :rofl:

Joe100517
December 18th, 2006, 14:34
I was thinking this game would be second rate like Dirge, but after seeing the trailer and reading about the gameplay I think it will be a lot better.

Apoklepz
December 18th, 2006, 15:31
^^ Agreed...not a FFVII fanboy either, but Dirge was dingy... I hated the movie and the original game's clunky graphics...but this one looks good enough to buy...Will suck if an update is released forehand, though. Damn Sony pricks...we're lucky enough MGSPops came out with 2.82 on it.

IHadToReRegisterwtf
December 18th, 2006, 15:48
I hope someone cracks all the firmwares, but cracking a code in the psp which it doesn't matter if sony keeps releasing new firmwares... I wonder if there is a code that be cracked in the psp such as the one as I speak of.

Apoklepz
December 18th, 2006, 15:53
Every firmware and it's features up to 3.01 can be emulated through devhook...3.02 has some wi-fi issues but it too gets emulated through devhook...So, if SONY doesn't decide to roll out another update before this game is released...we can all play it without a problem....and even if the update comes, it'll just be a matter of days before the Dark Alex and other Devs can help us get around it.

...and just so you know, no such code exists...before, the firmware number could be spoofed to allow playing more recent games, but Sony quickly patched that up...long time ago, too... along with a bevy of other file encriptions within the PSP that have already been attempted to be hacked, so it's not as easy as you might think it is...

My best advice to anybody new to the scene is always to stay on 1.50 or try to safely downgrade to that firmware, only if you and your PSP are capable of doing so...if you want, once you're on 1.50, you could use Devhook to check out newer games and features or even get up to 2.71 SE-C if you want dual firmware compatibilities....add Devhook, and you have it all...for the time being.

IHadToReRegisterwtf
December 19th, 2006, 12:19
Everyones talking about this game as if its suppose to be 50 plus hours. But the question is!!! Doesn't the psp last like on 3 hours of batteries? So, wtf?? :eek:

They should have made this for the playstation 2 instead, those ****ing idiots. Were all geeks, will keep playing this game non-stop, why would we want to keep recharging are battery every 3 hours

irongiant
December 19th, 2006, 12:34
Everyones talking about this game as if its suppose to be 50 plus hours. But the question is!!! Doesn't the psp last like on 3 hours of batteries? So, wtf?? :eek:

They should have made this for the playstation 2 instead, those ****ing idiots. Were all geeks, will keep playing this game non-stop, why would we want to keep recharging are battery every 3 hours

Battery life depends on how skillfully the devs have coded the game, the more UMD access is needed the more drain on the battery. I get 5-6 hours of gaming out of mine, just how long can you play a game non-stop for? If you're that desperate to keep playing then use the adaptor and plug it in to a power socket. Otherwise put it on charge overnight, hardly a problem now is it.

dejkirkby
December 19th, 2006, 12:58
So, if SONY doesn't decide to roll out another update before this game is released...we can all play it without a problem....and even if the update comes, it'll just be a matter of days before the Dark Alex and other Devs can help us get around it.

Not strictly true anymore. DevHook is struggling to play the very latest games without hanging or freezing. SmackDown v Raw 2007, Brothers in Arms and apparently PaRappa the Rapper all suffer from freezing.

carlitx
December 19th, 2006, 17:14
what FW do ya think we will need to upgrade to to get to play this on the psp?

Milleniumas
December 19th, 2006, 17:56
Fw 6.66

jonezybaby
December 19th, 2006, 18:47

ya see it pisses me off wen ppl say the game is terrible becus its not, u just think final fantasy = RPG. there is more to life then makin the game a RPG. i like the game becus its different and takes the game in a new direction!!

Joe100517
December 20th, 2006, 00:54
I enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus for it's FF7 goodness and fairly interesting story, but as a game it definitely wasn't up to the calibur of an excellent game like say, an offical numbered Final Fantasy. My friend said it was easy, however I died a lot since I rarely ever play shooting games and can't really judge it well in comparison to other FPS games... one of the things that annoyed me the most though, was that Vincent couldn't jump up onto anything. I understand that they upgraded it from the Japanese version by giving him the double jump, but they certainly did a half-assed job of it since you couldn't use it to get anywhere. While playing it I felt like I was playing a movie-tie-in game. Those kinds of games are never that good and that is what it was like with Advent Children as the movie. Every once in a while it's like "ooh Advent Children-style graphics!" and you're like "Oooh I'm walking around Edge where they fought Bahamut!" but it's not particularly awesome as a stand-alone game.

From what we've seen of Crisis Core it looks much better. That trailer for it looks amazing although unfortunately there's barely any gameplay. I trust SE more with this type of game though, since I think they've proven themselves with the Kingdom Hearts games that are very fun! It's entirely possible that this does end up like another DoC-quality game.... but I'm staying optimistic.....

Russoxley187
December 20th, 2006, 01:36
whats the release date?

Joe100517
December 20th, 2006, 04:47
Spring 2007 in Japan...... I'd assume America would get it sometime the following fall......