PDA

View Full Version : "I'm out to shut down Rockstar" says Thompson

wraggster
December 18th, 2006, 19:04
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=152376&skip=yes)

It's no secret that Jack Thompson doesn't like games (at all) and he's recently been caught airing his views on one of those US talk/news shows Nightline on December 13. And he wasted no time in getting straight to his point.

"I'm out to shut down Rockstar because they're run by a bunch of sociopaths and they're a one company crime wave," he told US talk show Nightline in an interview you check out on the wonder that is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7cwLTSnkQ&eurl=

During a demo of his least favourite game GTA, Thompson explained that "you're literally stomping someone into the pavement, and you can stomp them until there's a pool of blood in the street of the person you've just killed."

ExcruciationX
December 18th, 2006, 19:06
God Damn Jack Thompson!

dzeikei
December 18th, 2006, 19:11
I'm surprised he didnt blame the 9.11 incident on Counterstrike.

Gene
December 18th, 2006, 19:14
I'm surprised he didnt blame the 9.11 incident on Counterstrike.

funny thing is, is that would be normal from him....

shak bo
December 18th, 2006, 19:15
To my fellow PSP modders out there it's important that you ignore these guys because they are hyppocrites. Another thing is that there morons. This guy has no vested intrest in banning video games, he is merely trying to draw attention to himself and his "cause" and trying to use our hobby (gaming) as a platform for some personal gain. Our first amendment rights protect us from anal beads like this nut job. Screw off and play "Left Behind" loser.

M-Lin
December 18th, 2006, 19:15
I love that bit with the blood on the pavement

Hawq
December 18th, 2006, 19:18
I love Jacks comedy value

shadowhawk22
December 18th, 2006, 19:23
It is OUR choice if we buy bloody games. Games like GTA are less bloody than hunting wild animals, yet it is our RIGHT to do that as well. I don't hunt, but I do love GTA and the like. He won't take it away from us, just simply make it more popular... I hope Jack Thompson goes backrupt,=.

fucht017
December 18th, 2006, 19:23
Politicians and government people kill people for real..So what the F%%#$ is he talking about.:mad:

JKKDARK
December 18th, 2006, 19:26
Politicians and government people kill people for real..So what the F%%#$ is he talking about.:mad:

Excuse me, where do you live?

splodger15
December 18th, 2006, 19:29
Why shut down rockstar i dont think he will if he does *.Shotgun loads/*

steve-b
December 18th, 2006, 19:32
Jack is comedy genius. He really needs to see the bigger picture here. There are far worse evils in the world than 'murder simulators' as he puts it. Is he gonna start saying that comics are Evil once he has wiped gaming off the face of the Earth?

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 19:35
hmm, he stinks to far away tht I can smell :D

Mr. Shizzy
December 18th, 2006, 19:36
Jack Thompson is a joke. I don't even take numb nuts like him seriously.
He he is either on something; or needs to be on something. ;)

Hawq
December 18th, 2006, 19:38
I have found my favourite part of it where Jack says:

No-one in their right mind says that a video game or a movie can turn a little angel into a demon
Which sounds suspiciously like what he's been saying all along, is he admiting that he's nuttier than a fruitcake?

steve-b
December 18th, 2006, 19:40
he's just an attention whore. I think he is well aware of how futile his 'cause' is.

The media love him because he is instant controversy. even if it is founded in fiction and not fact. That sad fact means he may never go away.

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 19:41
haha, you're guys right,

240-185
December 18th, 2006, 19:41
Wasn't this Joe Schmoe idiot who wanted to have a copy of "Canis Canem Edit - Bullworth Academy" before everybody in order to see if it isn't too violent?

bullhead
December 18th, 2006, 19:45
No wonder he's pissed:

fucht017
December 18th, 2006, 19:47
HAHAHA he looks like a fart in a space suit.

pt9087
December 18th, 2006, 19:49
What a loser, haha everyone point and laugh.
haha-->

TacticalBread
December 18th, 2006, 19:56
He's never going to stop anything, there's too much comedy in what he says. No one takes him seriously.

Everyone's just like, "ROFL! Look what Jack Thompson said! God, he's so funny!"

Poem58
December 18th, 2006, 20:11
"you're literally stomping someone into the pavement, and you can stomp them until there's a pool of blood in the street of the person you've just killed."

That's what makes it fun Jack! Take that imaginary fun away and the sociopaths will go out and stomp a real person into a pool of blood.

gunntims0103
December 18th, 2006, 20:19
this guy will never shut Rock Star down

period.

-=me=-
December 18th, 2006, 20:28
i thought rockstar was british based....

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 20:33
this guy will never shut Rock Star down

period.

I agree with you also!

He wouldn't dare to close it..

tophead420
December 18th, 2006, 20:45
lmao who gives a flying **** what this guy says he's just an asshole who has nothing better to do then ramble on about how video games are bad in the way i see it its better to beat someone own on GTA then actually go out and beat a person to a bloody pulp so fook u JACK

Boardman2411
December 18th, 2006, 20:46
oo look at me, im going to play GTA and go and kill Jack Thompson.

(i am only joking, unfortunately)

emuking
December 18th, 2006, 20:48
ah jack, another great quote from a great jackass to use in my sig :)

Xiofire
December 18th, 2006, 20:49
What was that game, in the video where Jack Thompson made a "cameo" where yew kill loads of people, that looks good. LOL

-Xiofire

eLAy12
December 18th, 2006, 20:50
He is in no position to attack companies. Yeah the companies dish the stuff out, but its the parents who buy the crap for their kids. Attack the parents! Get on their case for not teaching their kids right from wrong.

emuking
December 18th, 2006, 20:51
wait what game i want to play that it sounds so funny

NightRaven
December 18th, 2006, 20:52
No wonder he's pissed:

ROFLMFAO HAHA That right there has me rollin. Heres hopin this guy ends up in a dumpster somewhere w/ a hangover beatin to a bloody pulp. Then hell be wishin that they had played GTA instead. He should have better things to do and worry about than shining the tip of someone elses d***. Moron.

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 20:54
haha, you guys are so funny :rofl: :)

gdf
December 18th, 2006, 21:02
i hope our good friend jack never goes away. the things he says are comic gold! you could probably make a book of jt's quotes. it would sell in it's trillions!

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 21:08
yeah, it will.. we can write the book, and the money goes to DCEmu ?? good idea, huh?

Tron_Fan
December 18th, 2006, 21:14
i hope our good friend jack never goes away.

He will once the media grows bored of him and stops giving him interviews. He's like any other politician who doesn't overly care about what the crusade is, just as long as he can get in front of a camera while on it.

Zion
December 18th, 2006, 21:15
i wish we could stop discussing this altogether :( its total bull.

who cares what that loser thinks, we cant do anything about it so why cant we stop bitching about the guy and lets see what happens.

Its not like any crappy online petitions are gonna stop that guy from what he aims to do..

get over it

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 21:16
yeah, is a really .. ehm, what the cow is what it calles??

Shilo
December 18th, 2006, 21:19
Jack Thompson just wants all the violent video games for himself. I bet you that every night when he goes home, he plays GTA till his fingers bleed.

Dave the Rave
December 18th, 2006, 21:20
Well, I agree with the regulation of violent games; kids who shouldn't be able to buy these kind of games ARE getting hold of them. It just adds to the desensitisation that children are subjected to although I think TV is possibly a greater culprit. Children ARE impressionable, look at the way they copy their friends; music, fashion etc. Shooting a videogame character is one thing, does it really need to go beyond that?

Tron_Fan
December 18th, 2006, 21:31
Well, I agree with the regulation of violent games;

Regulation of games is one thing. They have ratings, already. A statement like "I am out to shut down Rockstar" is not an attempt at regulation. It's an attempt to deny me MY ability to purchase these games as an adult. That's where his whole argument breaks down and becomes just mindless babble. He's not TRYING to solve anything... just throwing rocks at the bee hive.

NeoXCS
December 18th, 2006, 21:33
I would like to see a good Postal 2: STP mod with Thompson in it. :p

Stump
December 18th, 2006, 21:36
haha, control yourself NeoXCS :) :rofl:

NeoXCS
December 18th, 2006, 21:37
haha, control yourself NeoXCS :) :rofl:
Fine! *Puts away shovel* :D

Veskgar
December 18th, 2006, 21:49
Although this guy will fail in his endeavors to assault the gaming industry and pollute our freedoms and rights, I can't help but get infuriated with this sort of thing.

With all the genuine evil in the world, we should focus on VIDEO GAMES?

Get real buddy, and get a life!

If this guy had grown up in this generation he'd be playing games too.

Broadus
December 18th, 2006, 21:54
Wow, he's right! I was playing Grand Theft Auto, and suddenly I ran outside and started beating the crap out of a random padestrian, then I smashed his face into the ground until it splattered everywhere! It's a good thing Jack Thompson is on the case so that never happens again!
Reminds me of how I was playing Medal of Honor, and it inspired me to grab a bolt-action rifle, march outside of my house and murder some Nazis! There was Fascist blood everywhere!
Actually, nobody would complain if I killed some Nazis. Nobody but Jack Thompson.

Nightmarus
December 18th, 2006, 22:08
If I were Rockstar I would send him a GTA copy with all the staff signatures. I think he hates GTA cause he's not the main character...
Yo Rockstar....ur next game thompson should be ur main character

F9zDark
December 18th, 2006, 22:43
Thing of it is, these sensationalist assholes don't look at the evidence. Babies imitate violent behaviors when given toys that adults play with in violent ways; they mimic the behaviors of the adults.

This has never been witnessed in children over 5, so obviously, as most common sense would dictate, don't allow anyone under 5 to play violent video games.

Secondly, PC Gamer analyzed data from the US Justice Department about violent crime rates among teens in the last 50 years. PC Gamer, showing the graphs in the article, marked the time where video games first came out until the present. What do you know, violent crimes among teens was DOWN since the creation of video games and has STAYED DOWN in comparison to the time before video games.

These retarded lawyers, politicians and nay-sayers of video games make the wrongful correlation that since video games are present at the scene a gruesome crime that they must be responsible. Obviously they overlook the fact that video games in fact keep many teens from commiting crime in the first place.

The true fact of the matter is that the teens that go and shoot their parents to death, do so because their parents abused them, physically, emotionally and/or sexually. Video games simply gave them restraint, gave them a temporary escape from reality, which prevented them from taking drastic measure before.

Columbine was another situation where bad parenting and terrible social class structure of public schools resulted in a massacre, yet games and music were to blame by the establishment.

STOP LOOKING FOR SCAPEGOATS YOU STUPID GOVERNMENT PRICKS! :mad:

Veskgar
December 18th, 2006, 22:47
I argue that violent games and movies reduce real world violence. Its still an ugly world out there but nowhere near as violent as it was just 60 or 70 years ago.

I am very confident in my opinion is that when people have more fictional violence as an outlet, it reduces real violent tendencies to occur.

Sure there will be nutbags criminals that claim it was a certain video game that caused them to lash out as a way to offer a scapegoat for a lesser punishment. But in reality, violent games don't produce violent people.

And another thing, we need to stop blaming game developers and start blaming PARENTS. Parents, if your kid is a bully, mean mannered, hot tempered, etc. buy him/her a MARIO game instead of Grand Theft Auto...

Just a thought...

kiariki
December 18th, 2006, 22:59
I argue that violent games and movies reduce real world violence. Its still an ugly world out there but nowhere near as violent as it was just 60 or 70 years ago.

I am very confident in my opinion is that when people have more fictional violence as an outlet, it reduces real violent tendencies to occur.

Sure there will be nutbags criminals that claim it was a certain video game that caused them to lash out as a way to offer a scapegoat for a lesser punishment. But in reality, violent games don't produce violent people.

And another thing, we need to stop blaming game developers and start blaming PARENTS. Parents, if your kid is a bully, mean mannered, hot tempered, etc. buy him/her a MARIO game instead of Grand Theft Auto...

Just a thought...

*Kid goes to playground. Jumps on top of another kid* <-- Just Kidding... Only really retarded children would do such a thing!

Maybe just ground the heck out of the kid? O.o

Either way, Jack does have his points... But he's going about it the wrong way... And I sorta agree that Rockstar's games are kinda... freakishly violent...

Tron_Fan
December 18th, 2006, 23:17
And I sorta agree that Rockstar's games are kinda... freakishly violent...

Not true. I played Bully all the way through without seeing one drop of blood or one death.

Violent? Maybe... "freakishly" so?.... not at all.

janys
December 18th, 2006, 23:25
Dear Mr. Thompson

For your information, those are not "people" who you see in GTA. If you wouldn't be such dumb person, you would actually found out, that those are POLYGONS with attached TEXTURE and a SKELETON. Those really aren't people. Or do you think they're made of flesh like you (Actually I kinda doubt you're made of flesh, because only human beings are made of flesh). The "blood" you see... that's no blood. That's just a particle effect made of several transparent textures. It looks like blood to you? Well, maybe you're a psycho, dear Mr. Thompson, and you see only what you want to see.

I'm 20 years old, played all GTAs, played Manhunt and a lots of lots other "violent" games and I certainly have no urges to get in my car and start killing people peacefully walking on pavements.

Mr. Thompson, I can honestly say, that I really really hate you. Not because you're trying to sue every game developer. I hate you, because you exist. I hope you die.

Sincerely

Janys

xsimmonsx
December 19th, 2006, 00:37
I wish someone would stomp Thompson into the ground.

LilSwish722
December 19th, 2006, 00:43
To my fellow PSP modders out there it's important that you ignore these guys because they are hyppocrites. Another thing is that there morons. This guy has no vested intrest in banning video games, he is merely trying to draw attention to himself and his "cause" and trying to use our hobby (gaming) as a platform for some personal gain. Our first amendment rights protect us from anal beads like this nut job. Screw off and play "Left Behind" loser.
yea but the sad thing is, is he is a high up politician with the power to shut them down. it doesnt matter if we like them. All that matters is that he wants the world run his way. Talk about F***ing sociopath

FOL
December 19th, 2006, 00:44
This guy is obviously smoking something. People go out and kill people cause they are nuts, they dont go out and kill people cause they played a video game(s).

I really hope the US continue to see sense and not shut Rockstar down, as someone I know will be out of a job, :(.

gunntims0103
December 19th, 2006, 01:03
Dear Mr. Thompson

For your information, those are not "people" who you see in GTA. If you wouldn't be such dumb person, you would actually found out, that those are POLYGONS with attached TEXTURE and a SKELETON. Those really aren't people. Or do you think they're made of flesh like you (Actually I kinda doubt you're made of flesh, because only human beings are made of flesh). The "blood" you see... that's no blood. That's just a particle effect made of several transparent textures. It looks like blood to you? Well, maybe you're a psycho, dear Mr. Thompson, and you see only what you want to see.

I'm 20 years old, played all GTAs, played Manhunt and a lots of lots other "violent" games and I certainly have no urges to get in my car and start killing people peacefully walking on pavements.

Mr. Thompson, I can honestly say, that I really really hate you. Not because you're trying to sue every game developer. I hate you, because you exist. I hope you die.

Sincerely

Janys

:rofl:

well put....

This guy is obviously smoking something. People go out and kill people cause they are nuts, they dont go out and kill people cause they played a video game(s).

I really hope the US continue to see sense and not shut Rockstar down, as someone I know will be out of a job, :(.

I don't think the US will shut down rockstar games, If they did i would be very upset and surprised. I don't see that happening...

wolfpack
December 19th, 2006, 01:22
as a nasty comeback from me to jack thompson, "I HOPE YOU GET RAPED! TWICE! MAYBE THEN YOULL FEEL DIFFERENT, JERK!"

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 04:26
yea but the sad thing is, is he is a high up politician with the power to shut them down. it doesnt matter if we like them. All that matters is that he wants the world run his way. Talk about F***ing sociopath

He's not a politician at all. He's a lawyer, which is even worse. Politicians have something to lose if they do something that the public doesn't want. Lawyers don't, which is why they can run their ****ing mouth all they want.

Added:

Yeah... Just read the Wikipedia article on the asshole; he's really a pathetic human being...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_%28attorney%29

BiohazardEXTREME
December 19th, 2006, 04:55
What bothers me is that people don't realize that Jack Thompson is a good thing.

There have been so many people acting out against video games and really threatening the industry. When Jack Thompson talks, he's making himself sound dumber and dumber and makes contradictions to himself. Therefore, he's making the gaming industry look better.

So if anything, we should be happy that it's HE who's doing this campaign and not David Grossman, now that guy posed a REAL threat to the industry.

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 05:16
I suppose you have a point there, however I don't feel the industry is really threatened. The First Amendment protects the rights of the industry to produce these games.

Jack Thompson is just stupid. I know his crusade involves stopping companies like Rockstar, but he has sued game stores MULTIPLE times over selling games to minors, yet when a politician in power goes to make bans on such, he defames them for trying to gain political foothold...

The guy has major psychological problems and I am surprised he hasn't been disbarred completely.

Destroyer699
December 19th, 2006, 05:25
I think we should make a comedy movie with him as the star.

It will be called....Thompstar. GENUIS!

BiohazardEXTREME
December 19th, 2006, 07:23
I bet you South Park will beat you to it.

dejkirkby
December 19th, 2006, 07:33
Doesn't Jack Thompson know that Games Companies are like hairs?
You kill one and 3 will rise up in it's place.

ExInferis
December 19th, 2006, 09:30
I'd like to see that looser try to shut down British company lol

The only thing he is doing here is giving publicity to Rockstar and GTA. It wouldnt surprise me if this helps give a nice boost to GTAs sales.

Hawq
December 19th, 2006, 18:33
Thing of it is, these sensationalist assholes don't look at the evidence. Babies imitate violent behaviors when given toys that adults play with in violent ways; they mimic the behaviors of the adults.

This has never been witnessed in children over 5, so obviously, as most common sense would dictate, don't allow anyone under 5 to play violent video games.

Secondly, PC Gamer analyzed data from the US Justice Department about violent crime rates among teens in the last 50 years. PC Gamer, showing the graphs in the article, marked the time where video games first came out until the present. What do you know, violent crimes among teens was DOWN since the creation of video games and has STAYED DOWN in comparison to the time before video games.

These retarded lawyers, politicians and nay-sayers of video games make the wrongful correlation that since video games are present at the scene a gruesome crime that they must be responsible. Obviously they overlook the fact that video games in fact keep many teens from commiting crime in the first place.

The true fact of the matter is that the teens that go and shoot their parents to death, do so because their parents abused them, physically, emotionally and/or sexually. Video games simply gave them restraint, gave them a temporary escape from reality, which prevented them from taking drastic measure before.

Columbine was another situation where bad parenting and terrible social class structure of public schools resulted in a massacre, yet games and music were to blame by the establishment.

STOP LOOKING FOR SCAPEGOATS YOU STUPID GOVERNMENT PRICKS! :mad:They cant do that, it would mean that parents would have to take responsibility for their kids

mcvader
December 19th, 2006, 19:04
what an idiot, I've been playing violent games and watching violent movies since I was a kid and I rarely kill anybody!!

Seriously tho, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on rockstars payroll, just think of all the publicity he's given them. I can't wait to see this dude in GTA 4 :), they'd probably have to rename tho, Jock Tameson or something simular.

NeoXCS
December 19th, 2006, 20:16
I, myself, have played violent video games my whole life. I've made it to 17 years old, 18 next month :p, without killing anyone yet! :eek: The fact that you can do so many things in those games you can't in real life is the greatest thing about them. GTA is just very open ended. The story of it rarely has you run and kill random people on the street but you can do so if you wish. I think Thompson just needs to relax and realize video games don't create killers. If so Thompson would have been murdered by thousands of gamers by now. :rolleyes:

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 20:30
Thompson is just a crazed ****ing moron with nothing better to do with his life. If you read the article on Wikipedia about him, you'll plainly see that for the last 30 years all he has done has tried continuously to make a name for himself by dictating to others what's right and wrong.

He is a nuisance to free thinking society and should be assassinated.

Also, if you read about the Flowers for Jack program you'll plainly see that he is incapable of communicating with people of different ideals or beliefs than himself, which, while not rare in human society, is particularly troubling considering the fact that he is a lawyer; someone who is SUPPOSED to remain completely unbiased in their work.

MattZani
December 19th, 2006, 20:30
i feel it lets kid's find out what its like to kill someone, what happens when you shoot them in the head, and how being a druglord works, so then they don't have to go into the real world and try.

idapimp
December 19th, 2006, 21:52
i'm getting quite tired of him now. at first it was a little funny but now it is just lame.

gotmilk0112
December 20th, 2006, 00:17
waht a stupid ass n00b.

you cant just "shut down" a company retard!!!

Basil Zero
December 20th, 2006, 01:39
man this is guy is so funny

bet he plays GTA lol