PDA

View Full Version : Animated Backgrounds

kalhalla
December 19th, 2006, 00:27
Alright, any idea on how to make / find, or if its even possible? I remember seeing on my PSP the very beginning wallpaper / background you have is subtly animated, kinda just those lines flowing.

Is there any way to find out which file that is, and replace / flash / devhook it with a different one? I would absolutely LOVE to have the matrix scrolling code as my 2.71 Background. :P

turtleguy101
December 19th, 2006, 01:49
ummm good question... dont think thats been done yet which prolly means it cant be done lol?

cha0ticbliss
December 19th, 2006, 02:04
yea... same thing I was thinking. It would be cool, but someone must have thought of it already.

andrewgabriel77
December 19th, 2006, 03:47
Here's the real question though...when xflash or another program removes the wavy lines what is it removing? The lines are obviously separate from the background...so where are they and can that be changed?

tuta
December 19th, 2006, 08:09
definitely it would be cool to have maybe if we hack the PSP to use GIF images as wallpapers we'll have an animated background

kando
December 19th, 2006, 09:20
it cant be changed without having the original tools sony used to make the firmware. same goes for debranding the gameboot/intro screens...we can remove it, just cant code something different :(

cloud_952
December 19th, 2006, 10:23
Okay, here's how it is:

The background you see on your PSP (whether it's the default backgrounds that change every month or one you set on your own in a 2.0+ fw) is a *.bmp file. When you set a *.jpg, *.tiff, or *.png as the background, the PSP resaves the file as a *.bmp and writes it to the flash.

The significance? bitmap files CANNOT contain animation. They consist of one image, and cannot contain multiple cells, therefore, you cannot animate your PSP background. ^_^; Not to be rude, but this question has been answered time and again on this forum.

Since this is a fundamental part of the PSP's firmware (going into the very core of the PSP, from ver. 1.0 clear to the current revision), there is no way this could be changed, nor should it be. Seriously, it'd be really distracting to have an animated background while trying to read text on it.

As for the wavy lines, those are not a part of the background, but an element that is above it. I think it's more of a programming detail than an image. The xflash program simply disables it (indeed, in the original versions, it just corrupted the value that was supposed to make the wavy line start up. I hope they have a classier way of doing it now).

So, hope that answered your questions.

m0th
December 20th, 2006, 04:28
only way to find out is mess with emulated 2.x/3.x FW. Dont have to worry about bricking than. As far as I know everything thats been modded so far in flash can also be modded in the emulated version... text, boot sound, game boot animation, renaming menu items... etc etc.

kalhalla
December 21st, 2006, 05:40
Yeah, I have been playing with my emulated 2.71 "flash" files XD Have a few custom gameboots and such.

Thanks Cloud for the pretty good answer. . .

But I'm still longing to have matrix code scrolling on my background *Tear*