PDA

View Full Version : Here is a thread (to be stickied) that indexes and categorizes the very best homebrew

SuckerPunch
December 19th, 2006, 02:09
I thinking making such a thread is extremely useful. First I need help completing the list below.

I am aware of fanjitas site, but most of the homebrews on there are incomplete, buggy, and neither look nor run halfway decently. Very few of the programs on the site have ratings next to them, and it seems that a lot of useful homebrews that are newer to the scene, like PSPEncyclopedia are missing completely. And many of the homebrews listed don't have a very good description of what they do either.

This is the forum where ALL the homebrew gets posted.

If there was a stickied periodically updated thread here with the latest version of all of the homebrew that is actually complete, and bug free, and looks and runs half way decently, with description, and categorized into emulators, versus utilities, versus homebrew games, that would be a MASSIVE MASSIVE boon to the community.

Had I not been with the homebrew community for months, I would have no idea just how kickass stuff like devhook, and irshell, and beats of rage, and gpsp are. I never would be able to find out about them now, among these thousands of available homebrews.

The top 10 homebrews articles a while ago helped a lot of people find the gems of homebrew among the literally thousands of homebrews available. Unfortunately, there's a hell of a lot more gems out there than 10, it's probably close to 100 when you include stuff like encyclopedias, navigation programs, graphing calculator emulators, super mario war and many of the other lesser known but very useful greats.

I left the homebrew scene for 2 months and now am completely lost. I would complete this list myself were that not the case. But I need your help

I have no idea if I have latest version of my emulators, if there were any new ones made that are good, if there are any new useful utilities.

I've been trying a lot of the stuff posted here, and some it is pure gold, like the PSPEncyclopedia, but a good chunk of it is clearly very incomplete first attempts.

Without a thread such as this, it would take anyone atleast a week to go through and find the latest version of all my emulators and homebrews, and make sure there aren't any new ones that are complete and bug free, and look and run half way decently.

So for those new to the homebrew scene, this is a near impossible task.

I just think this would be really helpful, for everyone that can't check this forum on a daily basis, is all.

Rather than sitting on my butt, I'm going to compile a list of the ones I can think of, from back before I stopped checking here, please help me by copying and pasting this list, and adding to it, so we can get a handle on all the great homebrew out there. Then I or anyone else who wishes will proceed to add a description to each, search for, and link to the latest version of each, on a seperate thread that can be stickied.

Apps/Utilities
1. Devhook
2. MPH Downgrader
3. GTAEloader (and Exploits too)
4. PSPRadio
5. PMP Mod
6. iRShell
7. UMDIZO loader
8. PSPBrew/PSP Unpacker
9. PSP Video 9
10. GTA Cheat Device
11. Links2

Emulators
GPSP .9 - Full speed GBA emulator
SNES9xTYL - Super Nintendo Emulator
DGEN - Genesis Emulator
NeoGeoCD
NesterJ
RIN
SMS Plus
Daedalus
PSPXTI (the TI-92 calculator emulator)
ScummV
PCE
Turbographix

Games
Beats of Rage
Quake w/ MP support
Callisto
Iris - Early but very impressive
Super Mini Mario - Whichever Mario has the insanely good graphics.
Smashgpsp
Super Mario War
Squarez
Doom
PSPool
R-Gear
PSP Revolution

Please copy and paste this list, and add to it, or update it as needed, it'll be a great boon to the community to have such a list, eventually I will add descriptions and links to the latest version of each, but I need a complete more up to date list of all the gems out there now first, this was just what I recalled from before I left the homebrew scene

P.S. This list is for 1.5s, since that's what I have and am familiar with, please feel free to start one with higher firmwares if you wish.

cha0ticbliss
December 19th, 2006, 02:20
hmmm... I had the same idea but then I got lazy and never updated, maybe I will now.

I have a good 50 homebrews on my desktop that I am editing to have shadow's theme. Maybe I will upload and link the good ones when i am done. I'll have to take the bios's and whatnot though...

If you wanna look at the thread I had earlier search for "master homebrew list" and it will be the one with the blue smiley face.

100th post woot woot

SuckerPunch
December 19th, 2006, 02:32
I checked your thread and noticed that is has far far fewer homebrews listed than I have listed, and without categories.

I want this list to be as complete as possible, and well categorized. I don't even know what half the stuff on your list is, so could you please copy and paste adding your own suggestions of anything I left off that you consider a gem to my list instead.

Tinnus
December 19th, 2006, 02:57
a) PCE and Turbografx are the same thing.
b) Technically ScummVM isn't an emulator, it's an interpreter.
c) Why MPH downgrader and not DAX's generic one? Why GTAEloader and not the eLoader itself?

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 04:30
Add to the list:

Dungeons

Why? Because its the first from the ground up 3D FPS engine we have on the PSP and its certainly going to become better in the coming months.

bah
December 19th, 2006, 07:23
Personally I prefer MMSplus for master system.
Dungeons definitely deserves a mention in the games list.

dejkirkby
December 19th, 2006, 07:36
Go to this page http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk
Scroll down and keep your eyes on the left hand edge of the page. Ta-Dah! All done by your local friendly mods right here at, the one, the only, DCEmu.

tuta
December 19th, 2006, 08:07
no offence though theres many threads like this in here scroll a few pages back and u will see some
So I thinks its pretty pointless now as theres not much new applications or emulators and we all should be pretty much familiar with em and as what dejkirkby said go to the main site thers many down there.

weirdelf
December 19th, 2006, 10:03
You are not allowed to post anything regarding isos on these forums. Please take "UMDIZO Loader" out

ACID
December 19th, 2006, 12:23
Nice. I have a sugestion why not wright also the latest version of the emulators so people can know what to actually look for. and maybe a link just a thought plus theres way more emulators then just that.

bah
December 19th, 2006, 13:02
I think maby if the front page LHS menu bar links could be ordered/colour coded based on how popular they are, then this list would not be needed. I agree a newb-friendly list is nice, but don't think it's too respectful to the authors of the other emulators for the system to direct all newcomers to a single emu for each system.

With some systems like SNES where there is 1 standout emulator its fair enough I guess, but others like SMS where there are several fantastic emulators you really need to link to them all.

Also if release posts for new versions of apps contained links to previous version's threads, people could look through easily to find existing answers to their questions.

gdf
December 19th, 2006, 13:25
a list like this would be pretty neat but it would need some effort put into it. we should give wraggster a look at this, as he could maybe guide you making it and keep you up to speed.

cha0ticbliss
December 19th, 2006, 20:33
Yea... if you want you could link each one to a download for it.

drEDN4wt
December 19th, 2006, 20:46
what this site needs is just an organisation of the downloads with explanations of what they each do.

at the moment its just very basic catagories with alphabetical listings of every bit of homebrew ever released, good or bad.

i'm sorry to say that i often find myself going to other sites to find downloads.

m0th
December 19th, 2006, 23:19
You are not allowed to post anything regarding isos on these forums. Please take "UMDIZO Loader" out

SHuddup

turtleguy101
December 20th, 2006, 00:56
ummm i know this is a lot to ask, but could u put like a picture of gameplay by each description and download link? that would make this thread VERY helpful indeed...