PDA

View Full Version : A Question on PSX Emulation for the PS2

Tesseract
December 19th, 2006, 05:14
I realise that PSX games cannot be archived using HDLoader or the like, but I've not heard anything at all about a PSX Emulator.

I should think that it would be relatively simple to do, as the hardware doesn't need to be emulated at all. All that would have to be done is writing a shell/GUI to bridge the gap between ISO/CD-RW and the existing hardware.

If I'm wrong in guessing at the apparent ease, please correct me... I'm interested to know what the challenges would be in this case.

Ennohex
January 14th, 2007, 22:05
As far as I know, the PS1 routines are hijacked to run unlicensed code, such as .elf file extensions. This hijacking occurs within the PS1's hardware domain. So, you can't run the PS1's emulation within the PS1's hardware. That said, the PS1 emulation on the PSP is done by changing a PS1's iso format into an executable "eboot" file. So, it makes sense to me that the same could be done on a PS2. Someone would have to come up with a way to convert a PS1 game iso into an .elf file that could be run on the PS2's hardware. I'm pretty sure the PS2's specs outweigh the PSP's so it should work well. Bear in mind that I know nothing about coding or hacking, so I may be wrong. Just a thought.

Tesseract
January 18th, 2007, 02:45
From what i understand, the PSP and the PS2 are close in power... The PSP, however, emulates. The PS2 could just use hardware. I like the Idea of making the PSX executables PS2-compatible, though....

Heh... thanks for writing in this post, even if it IS just tossing Ideas about. Perhaps at some point a programmer who DOES know what they're doing will peek in...

bottleofmemories
June 9th, 2007, 10:07
It's fairly great as well, called epsxe emulator it has emulated every psx game i have perfectly thus far & even some i didn't have thanks to the net if u search hard enough you should be able to find both iso's (its version of roms since it uses cds) as well as the emulator type "download epsxe" into a search engine man. you should be able to find it, if not try limewire or something some cases the great ones drop off the net but are still in shareware programs a lot.

bottleofmemories
June 9th, 2007, 10:17
ps2 is what I'm having trouble finding an emulator for, sure there's some demo ones, but the one that claimed to work with actual games let me down on hardware emulation plugins won't work with any of my graphic cards or dvd-roms also it might work in one machine i got but so far no games i have put in through isos have worked in the emulator yet it's called pcsx2 the new v0.9 I've tested these isos on modded ps2 & they work fine so it's all the emulator. no luck finding anything better yet either.

Tesseract
June 9th, 2007, 22:56
ePSXe is a great PSX emulator for the PC, yesh. I've been using that for years.

It's the ability to run PSX games with an enhanced engine or simply the ability to run a PSX game from the HDD after one's PS2 has succumbed to the dreaded Disc Read Error that I'm looking for.

I'm not even bothering with a PS2 emulator on the PC right now. The Emulation just isn't good enough to warrant using my PC rather than my PS2.

junior8210
June 28th, 2007, 16:11
I have search and downloaded everything about psx emulation on the ps2 but nothing work so I have to face facts the only thing to do is to buy a mod chip or buy a boot disc called breaker pro. So I choose the boot disc I used it or a burned copy of chrono cross and it work perfect.

Cloudhunter
June 28th, 2007, 16:30
From what i understand, the PSP and the PS2 are close in power... The PSP, however, emulates. The PS2 could just use hardware. I like the Idea of making the PSX executables PS2-compatible, though....

Heh... thanks for writing in this post, even if it IS just tossing Ideas about. Perhaps at some point a programmer who DOES know what they're doing will peek in...

Hmm... This question have come up before on other forums.

Basically though, while the PS2 is in PS2 mode, it can't access PS1 mode... So you can't simply just use the embedded hardware.

You'd probably have to do what Sony did - write a brand new emulator - which isn't an easy task and isn't worth it as the only reason it would be needed would be backups (which can be loaded other ways) and Piracy.

Cloudy

Tesseract
June 28th, 2007, 23:55
You'd probably have to do what Sony did - write a brand new emulator - which isn't an easy task and isn't worth it as the only reason it would be needed would be backups (which can be loaded other ways) and Piracy.

I'd have to disagree there... I've had to trade in 4 PS2's in the past due to that wonderful Disc Read Error. Being able to make an image of one's PSX disc and sending it via network to the PS2 would be quite helpful in those cases. Not to mention little quirks like maybe making it so one could use a PS2 multitap wth PSX games instead of having to own two multitaps.

There ARE valid reasons why a PSX emulator would be useful... It's just too easy to get sidetracked by the obvious problems.

Anyhow, I can see where you might have a point, but keep in mind that MGS2 actually did make use of the PSX chip inside the PS2 for producing hardware Dolby 5.1.... something the PS2 can't do otherwise. So there IS a precedent for the PSX hardware being accessed while in 'PS2 mode'.