PDA

View Full Version : PSP Reception Lukewarm in US?

wraggster
March 27th, 2005, 03:17
There are plenty of interesting takes available on Sony's new media/game console. The neat tricks seem to be the most popular. An Anonymous Coward writes "A blogger figured out how to batch convert e-books so they can be read on your PSP. Check out the guide here for a complete walkthrough on this method." Meanwhile, RyuuzakiTetsuya writes "PSP Vault has a great story on how to Use Non-Duo Memory Sticks on a PSP! The process involves using an adapter that's meant for a Sony Ericcson phone." Via Joystiq, a way to get Tivo content on your PSP. Out in the real world there is already talk of the opening weekend sales. Doomstalk writes "According to IGN sales of the PSP have been lukewarm, with many outlets selling as little as 10 out of the 80 units they received." The PSP is currently burning up the charts in Japan, though, where the console has been out for a while. Early adopters on a holiday weekend may not be the best yardstick. Official numbers from the first weekend of sales likely available on Monday.

Hevyduty
March 27th, 2005, 06:58
I think it was a lukewarm reception. I pre-ordered one in Feb. right after Sony announced the price. And it's been disappointing to see unsold PSPs at pretty much every store I've been to since. Pre-ordering a PSP to get one on launch day just wasn't necessary in the least.

I think it's sold pretty well at EBGames and Gamestop, and has been lukewarm to cold elsewhere. I think that's pretty telling. EB and Gamestop are where hardcore gamers go. Wal-Mart and Target and Toy R Us are where casual gamers go. So it doesn't surpise me that it's sold well with hardcore gamers, and not so well with casual gamers.

Quite frankly, the PSP isn't a mainstream gaming device. It's too expensive, and let's face it, it's not very practical. If Sony thought it was building a handheld for the masses, it was wrong. I'd never buy my 14 year old nephew a PSP. He'd break it within a month. I'd consider buying him a DS though.

I have a friend who's a hardcore gamer. But he bought a DS this week for his wife and kids ahead of a trip to Disney. He said if he shelled out $250 for a PSP, he wouldn't trust anyone in his household but him to play it. But a DS? Heck everyone can play that. It's cheaper and more durable, so for less money, he and his family will get more mileage out of it.

Nintendo makes handhelds for the masses. Sometimes we hardcore gamers frown on that, but it's been a good business strategy, and Nintendo does it well. Sony made a handheld for hardcore gamers. Yeah, we like it, but we shouldn't be surprised if it tanks with the casual gamers out there.

-HD

Mimx
March 27th, 2005, 08:30
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hevyduty wrote:

Quite frankly, the PSP isn't a mainstream gaming device. It's too expensive, and let's face it, it's not very practical. If Sony thought it was building a handheld for the masses, it was wrong. I'd never buy my 14 year old nephew a PSP. He'd break it within a month. I'd consider buying him a DS though.

I have a friend who's a hardcore gamer. But he bought a DS this week for his wife and kids ahead of a trip to Disney. He said if he shelled out $250 for a PSP, he wouldn't trust anyone in his household but him to play it. But a DS? Heck everyone can play that. It's cheaper and more durable, so for less money, he and his family will get more mileage out of it.

Nintendo makes handhelds for the masses. Sometimes we hardcore gamers frown on that, but it's been a good business strategy, and Nintendo does it well. Sony made a handheld for hardcore gamers. Yeah, we like it, but we shouldn't be surprised if it tanks with the casual gamers out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo DS only has one market in mind and thats little kids. The Nintendo DS isnt a little kids gaming machine. Every gaming store ive been too that has DS floor models out all have OUT OF ORDER signs on them cause some kid stab the stylus thru the screen, and thats been the story everywhere. Kids cant keep a gaming system in good condition, all they know is "want" and "destroy". The PSP was aimed at the ADULT community, you know the ones that have the jobs that can buy games. The system is a marvel. Its not too small and it sports some awesome graphics. Its not fragile like everyone says it is. If you take some really simple steps you an insure that your PSP will be around the the long haul. Get a screen Protector, and use the carrying case it will protect your system. You shouldnt buy PSP for kids, cause like i said earlier they cant keep it in good condition. Its not meant for kids. Yeah DS maybe cheaper, but you can spend even less and get a GBA SP its the same graphics. Nintendo is only good at one thing, making the same game over and over and giving it a new color or changing one word and then putting it out as a new title. I quite frankly am satisfied with the PSP for the variety of non recycled games they have to offer and that are coming out in the near future.

leggy
March 27th, 2005, 08:49
There is a point here.

I think my PSP is great but I wouldn't let my kids use it (imported with game for £220).

But I would let them have a DS any day of the week (£110 with a game).

The PSP is better than the DS but not as practicle.

leggy
March 27th, 2005, 09:01
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/03/26/131634.php

A few reasons why it might have been a slow start??

Vimes220
March 27th, 2005, 10:43
well i heard

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzgame25q4190114mar25,0,7291622.story?coll=ny-business-headlines

which suggests that the US will sell out

leggy
March 27th, 2005, 11:58
Vimes - you still waiting for Sony to release in the UK?

Vimes220
March 27th, 2005, 13:12
nah, decided that i could wait no longer!!!

Hevyduty
March 27th, 2005, 17:09
Since pretty much all of us on these boards are hardcore gamers, I think we have a tendency to look at these things quite narrowly. It's way too simple to say that Sony made a handheld for adults and Nintendo makes handhelds for kids. In fact, that flat-out isn't the least bit true.

Heck, my mom, who's 60, has two SPs. Obviously, she's an adult. She has a red and a pearl SP cuz she liked the colors. She plays puzzle games, Harry Potter games, and pinball games. All of that sounds lame to us, but Nintendo's made quite a bit of dough off her. Sony won't. She's a gamer, a casual gamer, not a hardcore gamer like we are. Perhaps that's difficult for us to relate to.

I know a lot of adults. I don't personally know anyone besides myself who has a PSP. I have to come to forums like this to talk with other PSP owners.

I know quite a few hardcore gamers. They're watching the PSP launch with interest, but some are in college. Some have kids. They just can't justify $250 on a console. Or have other expenses/priorities at the moment.

Let's face it. Sony created a great device that appeals to hardcore gamers. Or more specifically, hardcore gamers with money. How many of us are there? I think we come to forums like this and talk with thousands of other hardcore gamers, and as a result, we believe we dominate the gaming landscape. Well, you know what? Perhaps we don't.

Let's face it, gamers are of all ages, genders, etc. Some are hardcore gamers. Many are just casual gamers. Maybe, just maybe, there are more casual gamers than hardcore gamers out there. And maybe, just maybe, Nintendo understands this better than us, better than Sony, and better than anybody.

If the PSP tanks in the US (and yes, it's way too early to conclude that), people will blame the season it was released in, the price-point, etc. But I'm guessing it'll be because it appealed to a fairly narrow market, and there's just not as many of us as we'd like to think there are.

-HD

Vimes220
March 27th, 2005, 21:21
well i know a 29 year old and an eight year old who live on our street, both are (almost) holding thier breath waiting for the PSP launch in the UK.

the eight year old just wants really good games to play (ok GTA, but he wont be alowed it).

The 29 year old has told me that he wouldn't waste his money on the DS.

slayerpsp
March 28th, 2005, 02:13
i live in southern california you cant find a psp anywere i also work at a gamestop and we sold all 70 of ours by 5 that night and i work at the slowest gamestop in the area as of 405 pm sunday 3-27-05 it very hard to find a psp in my area untold legends and twisted metal were the games we were sold out of first. the ds is a piece of crap next to the psp the spiderman 2 movie it comes with looks like its in hd the psp is like a mini hdtv its that clear i just love it

darcy67
March 28th, 2005, 18:10
Well I pre-ordered mine from DVDboxoffice.com and they still hadn't sent it. I sent them a mail and apparently Sony have been slow in releasing them as well. Will more than likely be the start of April till mine is sent. I'm disappointed to say the least, but I'm not really sure where I would get a better deal elsewhere!

Vimes220
March 29th, 2005, 09:15
i rather hope that the PSP dosen't do well in the US, More for us in the UK. I don't think it has bombed in the US. Some shops may have stocks left but 1 million were shipped for the launch. They would have to sell 700 a minute across the US to sel out in 24 hours. the majority were probably shipped to the UK anyway