PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sony Survey Hints At Plans For New PSP?

wraggster
December 19th, 2006, 18:07
via kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/psp/rumor-sony-survey-hints-at-plans-for-new-psp-222790.php)

Right about now, I think a revamped PSP is the only thing that can truly save Sony's handheld ambitions in the long-term. They need to give the PSP a clean break, take stock of the lessons learned from the original then come back and improve on it.

Sony sent around a survey last night that, from this weary writer's point of view at least, looks like they may well be thinking of doing just that. They threw a bunch of questions at PSP owners about what they'd like to see improved or added to the console, some good (hard drive, GPS), some not so good (book reader) and some sadly absent (decent games), but most telling was this question:

Would you buy another PSP system if it included a hard drive and/or video out?

It's very suspicious that the single-most desirable add-on mentioned (the HDD) is repeated in a further question that specifically asks whether you'd go out and buy another PSP for it. Very suspicious indeed.

yoshinatsu
December 19th, 2006, 18:14
OOooooooooooh...
I can see it comin'...
I'd also like a D-Pad fix if they are to do it. And a bit lighter. Mmmm... something for the style... Changeable face/back plates maybe?
Ohhh... And homebrew...

disturbed19
December 19th, 2006, 18:15
You know what would be really cool?

if we could play our ps2 games on our psp. i thought about this beofre the psp was released. maybe it would be a bit bigger, but it would be fricken awesome! does anythone think this would be possible?

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 18:41
I would, if said PSP ALSO had another analog nub.

Come on Sony, you never threw 1 analog stick at us when you made the the Dual Shock...

erix2006
December 19th, 2006, 18:44
If they would put analog stick like in ps1 or ps2 that would be sick, and also if you could take it off.
Yea I would buy another psp just cause of the hard drive and/or video out. :)

December 19th, 2006, 19:07
HDD, video out, allowing homebrew, better screen (less ghosting), new analog stick, better range of games, better laser diode to speed up the reading of UMDS (is that possible?) and you're sorted I think

Veskgar
December 19th, 2006, 19:15
Sure an internal HDD would be nice. Video Out would be kinda cool but not used that much. A second analog nub with an improved design would be very good. But one thing will be missing....

HOMEBREW!

I don't think any PSP would be the same without homebrew. This could partially be SONY's way of admitting defeat in the battle against homebrew and just coming out with a new PSP altogether because any new PSP will probably be very hard to exploit for homebrew.

And we have talk about an internal HDD but what about the 32GB memory stick that SONY/SanDisk are working on? I'd prefer a 32GB memory stick in my current PSP than in internal HDD on a new PSP.

What will probably happen is the homebrew scene will continue to evolve and dominate the current PSP hardware version. Hopefully with new downgraders, custom firmwares, etc. etc.

Then as long as the new PSP is backward compatible I'd consider getting it to play commercial games, connect to the PS3, etc. etc.

I really do like the look and feel of the current PSP. Sure there could be some improvements. I just hope SONY doesn't screw it up.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
December 19th, 2006, 19:54
HMMM....just make it better and if it is good enought and supports HOMBREW i might get one....just make it good!!!

Jonesyxxiv
December 19th, 2006, 20:07
Im taking the survey now.
What do you believe is the biggest benefit of owning a PSP system? Other Specify: Homebrew

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 20:19
Sony will need a Harddrive to combat the likes of the iPod. My friend got a 30 gb ipod video for 256 USD. It has 2 features that the PSP has, yet comes with 30 gb of space and is less money than a PSP capable of the same thing (figuring, a PSP + 4 gig stick).

Not to mention, the benefit of having a harddrive outweigh that of memory sticks. For instance, developers of homebrew apps with the current PSP are limited to a small amount of memory and the fact that memory sticks have a certain amount of read/writes per sector makes using physical space on a memory stick as memory risky business. This is not the case with a harddrive and memory whore applications will then be possible.

Not to mention, it will be at least another year before we see a 32 gb stick and what price? Right now 4 gig sticks from Sandisk are approximately 100 USD, a 32 gb stick would be 8x that cost in a perfect world; however I predict that if a 32 gb stick came out right now it would be closer to 1000 USD because the manufacturing process of making that much space available in the same physical dimensions would be alot more difficult than producing 4 gb sticks.

I just hope that PSP Mk 2 uses standard hard-drive technology and not something thats proprietary.

Datahax
December 19th, 2006, 20:26
I can see it now. Sony will release the PSP2, and shit all over the original PSP users.

mikeyzee
December 19th, 2006, 20:31
Instaed of being such *******s with thier technology perhaps sony should release some information on the psp so it becomes more of an open development platform for software and hardware alike, instaed of just making a new psp with 2 or 3 new things on top. A new psp would pretty much spell the end for this handheld and cuase even more hoards of angry people

shedeus
December 19th, 2006, 20:33
this sucks... i've only owned my psp for 6 months and now to hear this

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 20:34
I don't really see how it can hurt Sony. It will improve the future of the handheld.

However, Sony has mentioned, shortly before the PS3 launch, that they were working on implementing a developer environment for the PS3 and PSP. Maybe the harddrive's role is paramount for that.

F9zDark
December 19th, 2006, 20:36
this sucks... i've only owned my psp for 6 months and now to hear this

Its not a bad thing...

Seriously, at least they are CONTINUING to work on a PSP. I'd be more pissed if Sony said they were dropping out of the handheld market...

mib_
December 19th, 2006, 20:38
sounds to me like they're still trying to push movies on us. The UMD movies failed for many reasons... one of them because ppl just don't want to watch movies on a PSP.

The hard drive sounds like it's gonna be for downloaded content, and the TV out for the same reasons.

Sony need to decide what the PSP is trying to be... a games machine, portable music or video player? It's never gonna do well trying to be everthing. It sound like a nice idea, but in reality people just don't want that. If you try to dominate in several different markets with a single device you'll always come in 2nd place to the device that trys to dominate a single market. That's just basic product development. :D

shadowhawk22
December 19th, 2006, 20:39
Before people freak out, or think this is a big deal-- The new PSP is just in the earliest of stages. It could be 3 years before we even see a release date announced. I doubt we will see a new PSP for many years, so don't start thinking the PSP is a "lame-duck".

MattZani
December 19th, 2006, 20:42
i hope that PSP2 would have a hard-drive, and a Mem stick reader. Also a faster CPU would be nice, and more connectivity options such as bluetooth. Changeable face plates is a big yes! or at least easy clip on area's.

the video out would be a good plus, and a seperate PS2 disc reader would be brillitiant! Maybe with a function of ripping the game to hard-drive? Dual analouge sticks, and more release color's, A touch screen (not like the DodgyScreen, more web browsing and note taking etc.) Blu-ray UMd's, and a UMD Reader for PS3

but i say let the PS3 be fully released first, then they can asses the functionality of the PS3, release a few FW updates, then build a PSP2 (better name though...) that would be built around the PS3. Then the PSP would be left, games still being released, but a FW opened up that lets you customise the PSP more, and maybe a Free Program that makes games.

Matt

emuking
December 19th, 2006, 20:49
besides dual analog and umd slot loader(think toaster) i would love built in gps, bluetooth, camera, and also to solve the whole problem about what kind of memory the psp would use, why not use nand flash memory, its lightweight and comes in 2 large sizes which are 32gb and 64 gb which is awesome, im sure you can figure out the positives yourself :D

vanle
December 19th, 2006, 21:31
Dual analogue sticks, HDD/Flash mem and some freaking good games damn it!

Endlessrain
December 19th, 2006, 21:50
If they release a new PSP, ill make sure nobody buys it.

For christ's sake, they should've gotten it right the first time.

December 19th, 2006, 22:26
Wait, I've just made a link here - PSP2 with Hardrive, Downloadable movies from Amazon!

jimjamjahaa
December 20th, 2006, 00:00
a psp with hard drive and tv out would be such an awesome thing to behold

i think i probably would upgrade for that. 2nd analogue stick *should* have been there to begin with, but should NOT be added, as that would obsolete the original psp

jimjamjahaa
December 20th, 2006, 00:01
If they release a new PSP, ill make sure nobody buys it.

For christ's sake, they should've gotten it right the first time.
just like the ds eh? and the gba (edit: and pretty much any other nintendo handheld you care to mention)

Shadowblind
December 20th, 2006, 00:03
How can we trust Sony isn't lying again? They seem to do that alot, so I wouldn't get your hopes too high.

Joe100517
December 20th, 2006, 01:19
At first I was thinking, "A harddrive would be awesome! ..but who is going to want a lot of storage space besides people who use homebrew? since game saves don't take up a lot.." Then I realized you guys are right... they just want us to pay to download movies!! Seriously, does anyone actually watch movies on a PSP? Or even an iPod? I've never even watched the Spider-Man2 it came with and I like that movie a lot!

I really wonder if they'd release PSP2 or just an upgraded PSP similar to what Nintendo does with their handhelds.

Video-out is something that makes me more excited than a hardrive. That means you'd just plug it into a TV and be able to see what you're playing on the big screen, right? I've always thought that eventually video game systems will be so small that they can make them all handhelds that play on TVs without any actual large TV-only systems. When I saw that trailer for Crisis Core I was imagining how nice it'd be to enjoy on a big TV.... of course..... blowing it up might downgrade the quality of the picture... :/

Basil Zero
December 20th, 2006, 01:38
dont u mean PSPX? lol

mavsman4457
December 20th, 2006, 01:56
Sony, stop denying the rumors and just release the new PSP. Give it some flash memory or a hard drive, a right analog stick that can pop out of the console to actually be a stick and not a nub, do the same thing with the left stick, and give it L2 and R2 as well as motion sensing so it can be used with PS3 well. That would be perfect.

F9zDark
December 20th, 2006, 02:16
This is quite a stretch here, but I came to the realization when one member said that PSP2 could be many years off.

To be quite honest, I believe it would be in Sony's best interest to move entirely away from UMDs. What would they put in its place? Logically, DVD is the best bet.

Fitting a DVD into a pocket sized handheld would be a tad difficult, however, but designing a PSP to accomodate DVDs would allow Sony to throw in:

1)A hard drive
2)A larger view screen
3)A larger battery

Now why would Sony opt to go this route? Well, PS2 held a HUGE market share in its prime and still did until the launch of Xbox 360. Now imagine PSP2 playing, natively, PS2 discs?

The hardware is extremely inexpensive to produce now, all they'd need to do is make it smaller. Not only, but the PSP2 could also play DVD movies, a huge plus over UMD or downloaded movies, could also accomodate CDs for music and maybe even data and the hard-drive would be more than sufficient for downloading of PS1 games, MP3s and any anything one can shake a stick at. Not to mention, since it will undoubtedly use Memory sticks, one could take their saves from the PS3 and use them on the PSP2.

Now, mind you, this all speculation without even a shred of real evidence. But I wouldn't put it past Sony. Simply because it would serve the dual purpose of keeping both the PSP and PS2 alive at the same time. How it will accomodate UMDs is beyond me, which would also hurt it as a 'PSP', but the inclusion of PS2 compatible gaming will launch the PSP2 LIGHTYEARS ahead of any handheld device out at that time.

Ramza042
December 20th, 2006, 02:41
This is quite a stretch here, but I came to the realization when one member said that PSP2 could be many years off.

To be quite honest, I believe it would be in Sony's best interest to move entirely away from UMDs. What would they put in its place? Logically, DVD is the best bet.

Fitting a DVD into a pocket sized handheld would be a tad difficult, however, but designing a PSP to accomodate DVDs would allow Sony to throw in:

1)A hard drive
2)A larger view screen
3)A larger battery

Now why would Sony opt to go this route? Well, PS2 held a HUGE market share in its prime and still did until the launch of Xbox 360. Now imagine PSP2 playing, natively, PS2 discs?

The hardware is extremely inexpensive to produce now, all they'd need to do is make it smaller. Not only, but the PSP2 could also play DVD movies, a huge plus over UMD or downloaded movies, could also accomodate CDs for music and maybe even data and the hard-drive would be more than sufficient for downloading of PS1 games, MP3s and any anything one can shake a stick at. Not to mention, since it will undoubtedly use Memory sticks, one could take their saves from the PS3 and use them on the PSP2.

Now, mind you, this all speculation without even a shred of real evidence. But I wouldn't put it past Sony. Simply because it would serve the dual purpose of keeping both the PSP and PS2 alive at the same time. How it will accomodate UMDs is beyond me, which would also hurt it as a 'PSP', but the inclusion of PS2 compatible gaming will launch the PSP2 LIGHTYEARS ahead of any handheld device out at that time.

Why not just buy a laptop?... :rolleyes:

They aren't going to make it use dvds.

I wouldn't buy a portable gaming system that uses dvds. I seriously doubt anyone would. For one, it would have to be HUGE which defeats the purpose of being portable. Second, I think Sony is not going to abandon the UMD format simply for the size to storage ratio. Producing cartridges large enough to hold UMD quality games would be very expensive, and downloading games would only be for the elite of the broadband users with >5mb/s lines. Using something similar to Gamecube's proprietary mini-dvd format would be more feasable, but again, the system would have to be quite a bit larger. Personally, I would like to see it look the same, only be better for homebrew. :thumbup:

sok98
December 20th, 2006, 04:13
And we have talk about an internal HDD but what about the 32GB memory stick that SONY/SanDisk are working on? I'd prefer a 32GB memory stick in my current PSP than in internal HDD on a new PSP.

I'd much rather have a new psp with an hdd because the newer psp itself would probably be much more optimized then this one and who knows maybe sony would give in to homebrew and make like an extremly obvious exploit and then keep making security updates from there... who knows

Tonx_9
December 20th, 2006, 04:37
OMG a new PSP....i love my psp and all but its dying. i live in Queensland (Australia) and were i live there used to be UMD's you could hire out but not anymore..they used to sell UMD movies but not anymore...there are harldy andthing you can buy for the PSP now....my friends rekon the PSP is shit.. i dont think a new PSP would go so well unless it a billion times better than this one..and plus what format are the games gonna be in??? UMD's again. most of my UMD's cracked around the top (still playable) but it very poorly made. if they are gonna release another handheld system like the PSP they should revise and add all the ideas that have put on the table like hombrew and dual nubs.. and for petes sake fix the bloody D-Pad i cant go diagonal in any of my GBA games!!

WOOT 100TH POST

IamAbe
December 20th, 2006, 05:11
heres what i wanna see in a new psp:

-no hdd(that would be waaay to bulky/heavy), but SD support and/or cheaper/higher capacity ms(that 32gig thing would be sikk!)
-better wifi
-at least 64mb memory
-a little faster processor (4-600mhz)
-second analog stick
-8in. slot-loaded disks instead of UMDs(or maybe just use those 32gig ms)
-video out
-keyboard accessory (see where im going with this?)

it may sound like alot, but im sure its do-able.

MaxSMoke
December 20th, 2006, 07:03
Um... I think you're all on Crack.

The PSP is pretty damn awesome as it is. It's got the best screen, fastest processor, and most storage space (UMD and Memory Stick), of *ANY* handheld gaming device ever made.

I'll tell you right NOW what the PSP needs, and the ONLY thing it needs:

$150 Price Tag!

It's still too expensive for any of my friends to buy one. I fell in love with it 2 years before it was released, so $250 was nothing to me. But my buddies just gag at the cost. Even a crappy DS at $130 is better for them then the other $70+ they'd need to get a PSP.

As for games, the top rated handheld games, that weren't made by Nintendo themselves, are *ALL* on the PSP. Even Nintendo's aging franchises are looking pretty poor compared to PSP games like Burn Out, Medal of Honor, or Loco Roco.

Why is it that every good PSP game that gets reviewed by critics gets treated as if it's the only good PSP game, even though these same websites and TV shows have TONS of highly rated PSP games in their reviews? What kinda deal with the DEVIL has Nintendo made, that allows people to forget that the PSP has such an amazing game library.

Every person here can name 10 games on the PSP that they've loved, and yet you people come here and talk smack about the PSP, as if you've never played a good PSP game.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? Did you drink the Mario Kool-Aid? Is Luigi threatening to kill your parents if you don't denounce the PSP?? It's the power of a PS1/PS2 in the palm of your hands! Sure, it's not a PS2, but compared to the DS, it's 24k Gold Plated Joy! The PSP already does 10x what the DS does and still you diss it!

At this point, the DS isn't even in the same LEAGUE! And now you want the PSP to do even more??? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY MAKE YOU PEOPLE HAPPY????

belialone
December 20th, 2006, 07:52
me personally think that a new psp should be like the old one except a better cpu and display

and homebrewshould run

gdf
December 20th, 2006, 11:24
they should call it the psp lite! thats basicaly it. we're not looking at a psp2, more psp.5, just like with the DS. i would keep my psp unless psp.5 had homebrew support and we weren't forced to upgrade if we want to play new games.

Baboon
December 20th, 2006, 11:42
If something new did come out I'd doubt I would invest in another handheld. I’m quite fond of my PSP as it is, it pretty much does everything I want it to already.

I guess if there was going to be some improvements for a new PSP model then id opt for:

1) Decent d-pad.
2) 2nd analog.
3) Homebrew/emulator support (though I doubt this will ever happen).
4) Some decent commercial games (compared to the cack that’s currently available).
5) TV out.
6) Longer battery life.
7) Cheaper price tag.
8) Bigger memory capacity.
10) The ability to make toasted sandwiches.

MattZani
December 20th, 2006, 14:35
i wouldn't want anything much bigger, not DVD Size, i prefer the external drive idea, which would then keep the PSP small.

motion sensing would be very cool!

PSPFR3AK
December 20th, 2006, 15:03
Nice.
:thumbup:

Joe100517
December 20th, 2006, 15:18
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? Did you drink the Mario Kool-Aid? Is Luigi threatening to kill your parents if you don't denounce the PSP??

I think my PSP is awesome! It's one of the most fun things I've ever owned........ but that doesn't mean it's perfect! :p

TimmyJ
December 20th, 2006, 15:54
Personally I don't think that an internal HDD would be a wise or necessary move on Sony's part - all it would do is increase the size and price of the device. Perhaps a better solution to this would be to include a second memory stick slot, that way you have one for gamesaves, music etc and another one for larger files such as videos and PS1 games.

A second analogue nub would be a nice addition for the sake of the PS1 emulation, but not all that necessary. Personally I'd rather the current analogue nub received some treatment so that it would feel more.. analogue because at the moment it's not easy to move all that delicately with it.

If there was to be one alteration that I'd like to see made to the PSP it would be a clamshell design (With it being manufactured on a 65nm fabrication process it should be easy to shrink the PSP down to the size where it's not too thick for this to be acheived). My main problem with the PSP at the moment is that it doesn't feel all that portable, I don't want to take it out of it's hard case whilst I'm not using it for fear of damaging the screen, and honestly leaving it in the case makes it far too large to put in my pocket comfortably.

Gold Line
December 20th, 2006, 16:40
not so many fw upgrades would be a start :mad: