PDA

View Full Version : I'm Shocked...

Mr. Shizzy
December 20th, 2006, 17:38
I just got homebrew running on my Dreamcast two days ago. :D The thing that strikes me as odd, is how much more advanced the PSP scene seems to be when compared to the Dreamcast. You would think that since the Dreamcast has been around so much longer that it would be more established.

Is it just me, or does the PSP pretty much blow it away? PSP has a playable N64 emu, CPS 1 & 2 (As far as I know Dreamcast has a pretty slow CPS1 with no sound), GBA (Dreamcast has a slow port of this).
PSP has Turbo Graphix 16, Neo Geo ( Dreamcast does have neo geo CD though).

This is not meant as disrespect to anybody. I am just a little shocked. I assumed the extra power of the Dreamcast would mean a more advanced homebrew scene? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? Could some offer some feedback, or useful links?

kaffie
December 20th, 2006, 17:54
Why would you be shocked that a system that has been dead in the water (*sob*) for such a long time has less advanced homebrew than a current system?

BTW the DC emulator Chankast has recently seen some update action in the form of ChankastEx. Its at http://chankex.esmartdesign.com/mainindex.html

ACID
December 20th, 2006, 18:21
Actually its like Kaffie said its a system thats over 12 y/o. First of , second if you look at most of the coders now there around the age of 25 y/o witch would have made them 13 at that specific time. So thats prety much it most coders are comming to live withing the last 6 years for the big part and there for the counsils from that point on benefitit from it the most. Just my view on it though

SSaxdude
December 20th, 2006, 18:22
No actually the PSP is 133 mhz faster than the Dreamcast, which is why the emulators are faster. Sure the DC homebrew scene has been around longer, but the PSP scene is bigger. But the Dreamcast has way better games than the PSP, so in the end they are equal.

splodger15
December 20th, 2006, 19:16
if you look at most of the coders now there around the age of 25 y/o

I am not 25. I am only 15

the_eternal_dark
December 20th, 2006, 21:08
I feel a post by quzar coming soon...

I don't get how you can say DC doesn't have homebrew as good as the PSP does. PSP has much more, but most of it is useless in my opinion.

Also, DC has a playable version of Marathon, and until Inigo Montoya finishes his version for the PSP, DC is going to be better (to me atleast). Marathon, Quake, Doom , and other classic FPS (and now dungeons) was the main reason, along with emulation, that I got my PSP in the first place.

My main reason for getting a DC was just for the games, which are still superior to most games out for the "next gen". DC=Games+Homebrew, PSP=homebrew+a few select games.

DC wins.

m0th
December 21st, 2006, 03:19
PSP has much more, but most of it is useless in my opinion.

Uhm... WOW! hey why don't you slap every PSP dever in the face and be prepared to get lynched by the rest of us?... wow... just.... WOW... I kinda like the fact I can listen to internet radio when im in range of a wifi AP, I can play NES, SNES, Genesis, Mame, GB, GBA and countless other Retro systems, I can browse the net without crippling my ability to run homebrew via DEVHOOK, ETC ETC.

ExcruciationX
December 21st, 2006, 03:33
I am not 25. I am only 15
So am I! :)

I have started C coding, but I really suck at it. Hopefully, it will come with time.

JKKDARK
December 21st, 2006, 03:35
Also, you can run THE SEGA SATURN BIOS on the Dreamcast :p

JKKDARK
December 21st, 2006, 03:41
Why would you be shocked that a system that has been dead in the water (*sob*) for such a long time has less advanced homebrew than a current system?

BTW the DC emulator Chankast has recently seen some update action in the form of ChankastEx. Its at http://chankex.esmartdesign.com/mainindex.html

Are you saying that the Dreamcast is dead? What the fcuk are you talking about? Do you have "any" idea?
In 2006, there were OFFICIAL COMMERCIAL GAMES for Dreamcast (Under Defeat, Radilgy). And in the next year (22/02/2007) will be released Trigger Heart Exelica (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-x-49-en-70-1qgc.html), another official Dreamcast game.

m0th
December 21st, 2006, 03:54
Uhm.. Dreamcast IS dead. Jus cos you are out a couple 100 bones dont mean you gotta resurrect an already doomed system. And the games you mentioned... Im just assuming they're just japanese ta english ports.. RIGHT? RPGs/SSFs with 2D sprites but translated to english.... Specs alone... Dreamcast is crap ta PSP, Dreamcast is crap ta PSOne, Dreamcast is on par with N64 only with better gfx and sound but waaaaaay way less fun than N64. Last thing ta ground your face in the mud... Daedelus and PS1P... huh?... no DC emulator... wonder why.... No point! cos its crap

the_eternal_dark
December 21st, 2006, 04:05
PSP has much more, but most of it is useless in my opinion.

Uhm... WOW! hey why don't you slap every PSP dever in the face and be prepared to get lynched by the rest of us?... wow... just.... WOW... I kinda like the fact I can listen to internet radio when im in range of a wifi AP, I can play NES, SNES, Genesis, Mame, GB, GBA and countless other Retro systems, I can browse the net without crippling my ability to run homebrew via DEVHOOK, ETC ETC.

How many of the same games do we really need? Do we need a drawing program or a word processor? Look at all the homebrew games and then look at all of the programs and apps. Do we really need some of them? Some are clones of other peoples work and others are abandoned after they are released or the coder doesn't release another work after finishing something. Things could be expanded. Sources could be handed out if the coder doesn't feel like finishing anymore of it instead of being lost forever or completely restarted.

I don't mean to sound like I'm sh*tting on people's work here, but there is a lot of things being abandoned that could turn out to be great.

Also, I wasn't saying anything about the emulators, devhook, or anything else, but cheat devices kill online play (like in Socom), and why listen to internet radio if you have IRShell where you can listen to your MP3's in game?

Sorry to make it sound that way m0th, but I'm sure you've seen more than 1 release for the PSP that you went "why in the hell?"

F9zDark
December 21st, 2006, 04:12
How many of the same games do we really need? Do we need a drawing program or a word processor? Look at all the homebrew games and then look at all of the programs and apps. Do we really need some of them? Some are clones of other peoples work and others are abandoned after they are released or the coder doesn't release another work after finishing something. Things could be expanded. Sources could be handed out if the coder doesn't feel like finishing anymore of it instead of being lost forever or completely restarted.

I don't mean to sound like I'm sh*tting on people's work here, but there is a lot of things being abandoned that could turn out to be great.

Also, I wasn't saying anything about the emulators, devhook, or anything else, but cheat devices kill online play (like in Socom), and why listen to internet radio if you have IRShell where you can listen to your MP3's in game?

Sorry to make it sound that way m0th, but I'm sure you've seen more than 1 release for the PSP that you went "why in the hell?"

It all depends on your preference. I did some work on getting the IR Keyboard driver that a member of PS2dev.org forums wrote and adding it to a word processor someone else wrote. Worked out pretty decently. However, when I tried to get some help on the project from the guys they kinda dropped off the face of the earth (since I am a C newb).

A word-processor is useless without a decent way to write on the PSP, which I made happen by combining the work of others (don't take this as me taking credit, when I released the program, I took no credit for it, since I merely put the two seperate programs together). Point is, different people look for different things, and while you may think many of what we have available on the PSP is useless, the fact that we have it at all (whether its useless or not) indicates that we have a great scene.

A homebrew scene should not be measured by what is used the most, but rather, by the diversity of what we have available.

Personally I don't like DC homebrew because I can't figure for the life of me on how to get the cds to burn properly.

the_eternal_dark
December 21st, 2006, 04:28
Uhm.. Dreamcast IS dead. Jus cos you are out a couple 100 bones dont mean you gotta resurrect an already doomed system. And the games you mentioned... 1. Im just assuming they're just japanese ta english ports.. RIGHT? RPGs/SSFs with 2D sprites but translated to english.... Specs alone... 2. Dreamcast is crap ta PSP, Dreamcast is crap ta PSOne, Dreamcast is on par with N64 only with better gfx and sound but waaaaaay way less fun than N64. Last thing ta ground your face in the mud... Daedelus and PS1P... huh?... no DC emulator... wonder why.... No point! cos its crap

1. Yeah, some of them are, but the DC is better in the games market.

2. No DC emu for PSP, the PSP is not powerful enough, research it or let quzar tell you. And DC is better than PS1 and N64.

SSaxdude
December 21st, 2006, 04:32
Also, you can run THE SEGA SATURN BIOS on the Dreamcast :p

Like that does much
And you double posted! :mad:
jk

the_eternal_dark
December 21st, 2006, 04:42
It all depends on your preference. I did some work on getting the IR Keyboard driver that a member of PS2dev.org forums wrote and adding it to a word processor someone else wrote. Worked out pretty decently. However, when I tried to get some help on the project from the guys they kinda dropped off the face of the earth (since I am a C newb).

A word-processor is useless without a decent way to write on the PSP, which I made happen by combining the work of others (don't take this as me taking credit, when I released the program, I took no credit for it, since I merely put the two seperate programs together). Point is, different people look for different things, and while you may think many of what we have available on the PSP is useless, the fact that we have it at all (whether its useless or not) indicates that we have a great scene.

A homebrew scene should not be measured by what is used the most, but rather, by the diversity of what we have available.

Personally I don't like DC homebrew because I can't figure for the life of me on how to get the cds to burn properly.

Yeah, the disk writing can be a pain in the ass, but it's worth it in the end.

I agree we have a big scene, but we do have some bad programs (fake downgraders, brickers, etc.) floating around, and things that don't need to be continuously released (like tetris clones or snake clones, we have enough of them!) or things that aren't all that useful right now.

I remember the IR keyboard driver well, thats a great idea, but I can see better uses than just a word proccessor, like if we get a good online chat program working or web surfing without the "virtual keyboard".

The wordprocessor right now is about as useless as the one on my iPod Nano (rockbox).

JKKDARK
December 21st, 2006, 05:08
Uhm.. Dreamcast IS dead. Jus cos you are out a couple 100 bones dont mean you gotta resurrect an already doomed system. And the games you mentioned... Im just assuming they're just japanese ta english ports.. RIGHT? RPGs/SSFs with 2D sprites but translated to english.... Specs alone... Dreamcast is crap ta PSP, Dreamcast is crap ta PSOne, Dreamcast is on par with N64 only with better gfx and sound but waaaaaay way less fun than N64. Last thing ta ground your face in the mud... Daedelus and PS1P... huh?... no DC emulator... wonder why.... No point! cos its crap

HAHA Why you don't tell me that you are 12 years old? It's obvious that you are an ignorant kid that never had a Dreamcast :rofl:
Why don't you see the games released for both 6th generation consoles (dreamcast/playstation 2)? Grandia 2, Resident Evil Code: Veronica had better quality on the Dreamcast. How the fcuk you can say that the Playstation One or the Nintendo 64 were better if the PlayStation was WORSE than Dreamcast? You never played the Shenmue series? Or you are so kid and you do not have any idea about video games? Why don't you get a job and buy games and consoles? Please, don't talk about something that you never played because you will be a loser all your life.

V3N0M
December 21st, 2006, 05:40
Well i'm only 16 and i've been coding for about 8 months. In Visual Basic, C/C++, and of course LUA which currentaly i'm making a new game for the psp. Check Demon's old site out for progress on the new "Secret" game that I am currentaly coding along with Zion and Demon doing GFX. Anyways my point is not all coder's are really that old. Plus i enjoy my Dreamcast as much as I do my PSP. But if your looking for something that has a better set homebrew scene than the Dreamcast you should look into the Xbox scene. I'm picking up a used one in a few days and then modding the hell out of it. :thumbup:

Baboon
December 21st, 2006, 10:05
The DC might be an old system, but it still kicks ass! To compare a PSP to a DC is pretty weird though? lol ...there both totally different systems and each has its own fields of speciality.

I’ve also got a soft modded xbox, but to be honest I tend to play my DC more because some of the great games available on it!

What makes me laugh though is that a year or so ago arcade emulation wasn’t that great on the PSP and the programs we have running now would have seemed impossible back then. We kept getting posts in the PSP threads from GPX32 users saying that we should get their hand-held system instead of the PSP cause it was the best thing for emulation and the PSP was inferior! ...but now times have changed and the PSP seems to be kicking ass by emulating CPS1,2, MVS, Snes, GBA, Megadrive, N64 (I hope this isn’t dead?), plus all of the commercial games etc etc. I’m just glad I trusted my instinct and opted for the PSP.

We are very luck to have some very talented coders in the PSP homebrew scene right now, and because of this my PSP has become a emulator and homebrew dream machine.

Anyway, back on topic... DC and PSP for ever! :)

JKKDARK
December 21st, 2006, 10:08
N64 (I hope this isn’t dead?)

Yes, Nintendo 64 is dead since 2002.

Baboon
December 21st, 2006, 10:11
Yes, Nintendo 64 is dead since 2002.

No I ment N64 emulation on the PSP via 'Daedalus'! :thumbup:

quzar
December 26th, 2006, 10:27
It's funny, I did a search for my name and this came up. Anyways, wtf is wrong with you people. How can you POSSIBLY compare homebrew/emulation on a handheld to a console. Last time I checked, you can't play your precious psp homebrew on a 72inch HDTV. The Dreamcast actually has commercial homebrew, we have EXTREMELY mature emulators (try NesterDC SE to see literally THE most compatible NES emulator with one of the most impressive menu systems of any console emulator), we can play divx (ok, my info may be old, last I checked the psp couldn't or barely could), lightgun/fishing/ddr/samba/karaoke/mic/vmu/rumble/etc etc etc accessories, and whatever else.

Basically you can't really compare the two at all. Most of the things that were listed as not being on the DC are literally in the works and such. It can't fit in your pocket, but it's not supposed to? Oh, and lets not forget, DC can play audio CDs =P

Mr. Shizzy
December 26th, 2006, 11:38
Actually you can play PSP on your 72 inch TV. (Either with PS3 or PSP on TV Adaptor) :P

Anyways I agree with alot of your points. But my point was not which was better. It was just that I think if you compare the actaull full speed emulation availible for DC and PSP; it's shocking how much PSP blows DCaway. I had just assumed when I decided to hack DC, that it had been around years longer. So I thought it would be safe to assume it would offer everything PSP has, and then some. Sadley, this was not the case. And I was quite frankley disappointed. I think I will turn my targets to XBOX for my home based emulation needs now. No disrespect intended towards the DC scene. I was just a little shocked, and wanted to get some feedback on the subject. Again, things I suspected would be readily availible on DC (@ fullspeed) that isn't (to my knowledge) :

- CPS 1 & 2 (CPS1 sloooow, and no availible CPS2)
-GBA (slow port of gpSP 0.8 availible)
- FULL SPEED SNES
- N64
- ect, ect, ect...

I didn't EXPECT any of this. But I SUSPECTED all of it. Anyways, like I said, DC kicks a$$. Nothing against it, I just don't think it will meet my homebrew needs for a home console.

Russoxley187
December 26th, 2006, 12:16
I feel a post by quzar coming soon...

I don't get how you can say DC doesn't have homebrew as good as the PSP does. PSP has much more, but most of it is useless in my opinion.

Also, DC has a playable version of Marathon, and until Inigo Montoya finishes his version for the PSP, DC is going to be better (to me atleast). Marathon, Quake, Doom , and other classic FPS (and now dungeons) was the main reason, along with emulation, that I got my PSP in the first place.

My main reason for getting a DC was just for the games, which are still superior to most games out for the "next gen". DC=Games+Homebrew, PSP=homebrew+a few select games.

DC wins.

Did he say USELESS???

WOW...
what a kick in the Balls...
In my opinion MapThis by Deniska is the most useful app out there...
Fully functional GPS...
And there are plenty of other apps out there are worth plenty..

lemmiwinks
December 27th, 2006, 01:07
DC and PSP for ever! :)

100% Agree, both systems are awsome, i would never sale one of them.

the_eternal_dark
December 27th, 2006, 05:50
Did he say USELESS???

WOW...
what a kick in the Balls...
In my opinion MapThis by Deniska is the most useful app out there...
Fully functional GPS...
And there are plenty of other apps out there are worth plenty..

Yeah, I said useless. So what? That is my opinion. Did I say MapThis or Deniska were useless? Don't believe so. Besides, I didn't say ALL of it was useless, MOST of it is.

Does anyone actually read what is posted?

F9zDark
December 27th, 2006, 05:59
What really gripes me about the scene is all the unfinished programs we have lying around. How many 2d sprite based RPGs do we have? And how many of them are actually finished?

I hope that people would rather pick up where someone left off rather start new. Nothing is more useless than a 'demo' of a program or game.

Edit:

I should clarify (so as not to get castrated...) Nothing is more useless than a once WIP that has been abandoned. Then again some WIPs that haven't been worked on, are damn cool (Quake 2 for instance).

quzar
December 27th, 2006, 09:59
Does anyone actually read what is posted?

Very few do. Most, I have noticed, simply tend to skim

What really gripes me about the scene is all the unfinished programs we have lying around. How many 2d sprite based RPGs do we have? And how many of them are actually finished?

I hope that people would rather pick up where someone left off rather start new. Nothing is more useless than a 'demo' of a program or game.

Edit:

I should clarify (so as not to get castrated...) Nothing is more useless than a once WIP that has been abandoned. Then again some WIPs that haven't been worked on, are damn cool (Quake 2 for instance).

2D RPGs are a pipedream for indie development simply because of the extend of the non-programming related development and material required for it. 90+% of all homebrew dev is driven by the programmers, which often are very restricted in terms of content creation.

Anyways, I predict the DC outliving the PSP in terms of homebrew. It's already lasted this long. Also handheld homebrew has a short lifespan generally, especially since every new system does things like bigger screens and whatnot that do more to enhance homebrew play than just the added processing power/memory/video.

Russoxley187
December 27th, 2006, 14:14
Look, I was just asking for an opinion, thats all..
I read through that already.
Thanks for your help anyways...

quzar
December 27th, 2006, 16:43
Look, I was just asking for an opinion, thats all..
I read through that already.
Thanks for your help anyways...

As far as I can tell, you didn't ask for anything...

Oh and I forgot to refute the 'play psp on tv' options. One costs an extra 600ish$ and the other is shit quality (comon, it's a video camera strapped onto the screen). The DC on the other hand can be had for under 50$ and has the ability to output 480i HD signal (via vga).