PDA

View Full Version : Revolver -Star Wars Edition

wraggster
March 27th, 2005, 20:52
How hard would it be to say hack Revolver to make a Star Wars Edition. ?

/me would like vorrtexxs opinion :)

DCDayDreamer
March 29th, 2005, 20:24
It should just be a case of replacing the graphics, sounds etc. within the files (keeping the same format and dimensions probably), that would give you a rough starting point for a test.

Vorrtexx
March 29th, 2005, 21:37
Well I've wanted to re-write the game again using a different 3D engine.
The original was done with Iris3D and I discovered it can be quite slow at times. I'm not sure if there's a good 3D engine out there that could be ported or whether to start on something from stratch. It's really one of the main reasons I haven't updated the game. I didn't want to add anything extra for it to be all replaced. The second of course is time, work takes it all from me. Then it would be like daydreamer said, graphics and sounds. However, the one model ;-) I had in the original was really an MD2 model converted to the Iris3D model structure, so the enemies could be replaced quite easily. as for the sounds, well Revolver was really limited in that area. All I think it had was a enemy death and a shotgun blast lol. If you really wanted to hack whats there already you could replace caleb (the IMD model) with a Stormtrooper and the shotgun blast with a lazer lol....course they'd kind of look out of place in a saloon ;)

Just some other things out of curiousity for anyone reading this...

Am I allowed to use MD2 models in a game without a license? Do ID software allow this? It was one of the reasons I didn't go ahead and use them in the first place.

Would there be a copyright problem with me going ahead and creating a Star Wars Themed lightgun game? I presume I wouldn't be allowed to use the real Star wars characters as they'd be licensed to Lucas Arts?

Darksaviour69
March 30th, 2005, 11:53
if you where going to sell it, they would come down on you like a ton of bricks, but if it was free, they tend to see it as fanware, but its techinally illegal and they have the right to ask you to stop.

ptr.exe
March 30th, 2005, 15:34
That would be cool, i really like revolver, but for some reason i whenever i shoot it hits about 2 inchs left of where ive aimed, anyone else had this?

wraggster
April 2nd, 2005, 16:22
fanware games should be a problem

would be very cool

DCDayDreamer
April 2nd, 2005, 21:47
If you really wanted to hack whats there already you could replace caleb (the IMD model) with a Stormtrooper and the shotgun blast with a lazer lol....course they'd kind of look out of place in a saloon ;)

Anyone remember that old Star Trek episode when they ended up in the old wild west?
Star Wars in the old wild west? - strange concept but might be worth it for novelty value!