PDA

View Full Version : PSP to hit 1m UK sales in 2006

wraggster
December 20th, 2006, 18:41
via mcv (http://www.mcvuk.com/PSP-to-hit-1m-UK-sales-in-2006)

Think the PSP is struggling? Think again. Sony has told MCV that it is confident of selling one million units in the UK before the end of the year, safely securing its place as the second best-selling console of 2006.
After a raft of online fanboy disdain and hype surrounding its home console rivals, the PSP has managed to comfortably outsell both PS2 and Xbox 360 in 2006 – leaving its performance at UK retail second only to Nintendo’s DS.

“People mention us in the same breath as DS because we’re both handheld products, but we’re actually going after very different markets,” Sony UK’s commercial director Kevin Jowett told MCV. “We’ve put in just under £300 million of turnover at retail with PSP because we’re such a boys console and we’ve hit the mark with older gamers.”

The PSP arrived in the UK to much fanfare last September, and quickly became the fastest selling console the territory had ever seen. But the rise of the DS and the troubling performance of UMD have dampened enthusiasm surrounding the format.

However, ChartTrack’s statistics bear out the fact that 2006 has truly been the Year Of The Handheld – and that PSP has been a dominant force. And Sony sees much more to come next year.

Jowett added: “The evolution you’ll see on PSP will be greater than any console Sony has ever released, starting with new peripherals like the PSP camera, which is out in early 2007.”

Basil Zero
December 20th, 2006, 19:50
yes, cant wait for 2007, it'll be psp's shining moments

vanle
December 20th, 2006, 19:55
I really do hope that the PSP comes through. FFVII Crisis core should raise the bar on psp performance. SUck it DS.

mikebeaver
December 20th, 2006, 20:32
Great,the best thing he can say about it is that the cam will be out in 2007,whoop de o,the original Gameboy had one about 10 years ago,bring on the GPS and many more good games.

the_eternal_dark
December 20th, 2006, 22:39
via mcv (http://www.mcvuk.com/PSP-to-hit-1m-UK-sales-in-2006)

Think the PSP is struggling? Think again. Sony has told MCV that it is confident of selling one million units in the UK before the end of the year, safely securing its place as the second best-selling console of 2006.
After a raft of online fanboy disdain and hype surrounding its home console rivals, the PSP has managed to comfortably outsell both PS2 and Xbox 360 in 2006 – leaving its performance at UK retail second only to Nintendo’s DS.

“People mention us in the same breath as DS because we’re both handheld products, but we’re actually going after very different markets,” Sony UK’s commercial director Kevin Jowett told MCV. “We’ve put in just under £300 million of turnover at retail with PSP because we’re such a boys console and we’ve hit the mark with older gamers.”

The PSP arrived in the UK to much fanfare last September, and quickly became the fastest selling console the territory had ever seen. But the rise of the DS and the troubling performance of UMD have dampened enthusiasm surrounding the format.

However, ChartTrack’s statistics bear out the fact that 2006 has truly been the Year Of The Handheld – and that PSP has been a dominant force. And Sony sees much more to come next year.

Jowett added: “The evolution you’ll see on PSP will be greater than any console Sony has ever released, starting with new peripherals like the PSP camera, which is out in early 2007.”

I still call bullsh*t on this. They are IN direct competition with the DSLite, and are still behind.

Come clean Sony and quit hiding behind the "multimedia" machine you are trying to make it. The UMD has failed as a media format outside of games. You have to rely on the fact that people, if they choose to or not, will convert DVDs to watch them on their PSP, or if they want to use the PSP rather than their iPods to listen to music (or watch videos for that matter).

Good job on the sales though, it proves that more good games are coming out for us now. You still have a long way to go with the PSP, so keep doing good so that we can still have an alternate handheld in the market, which I personally am tired of Nintendo not having much competition in that field.

Oh, and lose the useless crap from your updates, you know, the stuff no one uses and has complained about.

BTW, I just noticed this... It is rather easy to determine you can sell over a million of anything when you have the numbers for the ENTIRE year and only like a week or so left in 2006. It's Ms. Cleo all over again...

emuking
December 21st, 2006, 04:27
god the psp is lame thank god for homebrew

whitey75
December 21st, 2006, 09:25
If the PSP were lame you wouldn't be coming to this site. It's probably the best bitta kit I've ever owned.

If you mean the software is lame then...I guess to each his own. But the hardware itself rocks!

Hungry Horace
December 21st, 2006, 12:56
I still call bullsh*t on this. They are IN direct competition with the DSLite, and are still behind.

well in that case, i call bullsh*t on YOUR comments.

the statement is right, the market IS different.

I am in the 18-30 bracket of consumer, and in the UK... i dont know a SINGLE ds owner, the only one's i've seen belong to friends / family-members with young kids.

i do however know quite a few PSP owners, a couple like myself (with homebrew) but more who update, in order to play the latest stuff... i think they would also use more multmedia stuff on it, ifd the functonality / support was there (TV out, cheaper storage, etc)

the statement regarding sales comes as no surprise to me. everyone is quick to bad-mouth Sony, but the fact is, your average consumer couldnt give a toss, and they care a lot more about them than they do about us.

dejkirkby
December 21st, 2006, 13:22
well in that case, i call bullsh*t on YOUR comments.

the statement is right, the market IS different.

I am in the 18-30 bracket of consumer, and in the UK... i dont know a SINGLE ds owner, the only one's i've seen belong to friends / family-members with young kids.

i do however know quite a few PSP owners, a couple like myself (with homebrew) but more who update, in order to play the latest stuff... i think they would also use more multmedia stuff on it, ifd the functonality / support was there (TV out, cheaper storage, etc)

the statement regarding sales comes as no surprise to me. everyone is quick to bad-mouth Sony, but the fact is, your average consumer couldnt give a toss, and they care a lot more about them than they do about us.
I totally agree. I know at least 20 PSP owners ranging from 18-40. I know around 5 DS owners ranging from 5-15. The market is clearly different, only the fact they are gaming handhelds are the same. I do agree with one thing though. Sony need to stop trying to be the Jack of all trades and concentrate on the gaming.

IHadToReRegisterwtf
December 21st, 2006, 14:23
god the psp is lame thank god for homebrew

He's right, without homebrew the psp is just a piece of crap that can play video files,mp3's, like an ipod.

Hungry Horace
December 21st, 2006, 16:35
He's right, without homebrew the psp is just a piece of crap that can play video files,mp3's, like an ipod.

obviously homebrew is the best use of the PSP, but what's wrong with the ipod exactly?

i have an ipod i use for exactly those things and not the PSP, because the PSP is hideously inefficient as a media player (once again, no TV out, memory stick storage instead of 60 gig internal storage etc)

funnily enough, that would be an ideal PSP... rip out the UMD drive and slap 60 gigs worth of storage ipod-style in it instead, and Sony could release a DVD for every game, which when transferred to the PSP would be encoded with the ID of the PSP itself (thus preventing piracy)

there you go... i've just solved Sony's PSP problems...

if only they were reading.

irongiant
December 21st, 2006, 17:06

Yet another childish post from you.. have you got a life at all?

dejkirkby
December 21st, 2006, 17:56
Yet another childish post from you.. have you got a life at all?

Finally, it happened. I actually agree with you 100%.

the_eternal_dark
December 21st, 2006, 19:05
You guys will believe anything Sony tells you….

Just because you know more PSP owners than DS owners doesn’t prove much. I know plenty of people over the age of 15 that own a DS or DSLite. The fact that you may live in the UK may have an impact on who owns what. It could also mean that your friends believe Sony as well.

So, Sony isn’t in for the kids market? They are trying to target everyone, but are lacking at targeting kids (and some adults, as this site has proven) with software titles, but the few they have, adults seem to like more, such as LocoRoco, Tokobot, and Me and My Katamari. And come on, the best FPS is a homebrew one. That’s sad. And what is with all of the Ad-Hoc multiplayer games? I don’t know anyone that has a PSP except for 1 or 2 people at school and my little sis.

More people at ITT (school) have DS’s than PSP’s, and they are ranging in ages from 22-40. That’s 12 people (possibly more, including myself) with DS’s (all of them black DSLites of course) and 3 with PSP’s (including myself.

Nintendo is targeting a wide range of audiences as well. With titles like Resident Evil: DS, FFIII, The New Mario Brothers (is this why all you PSP owners hate/detest Nintendo so much, because of Mario?), Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, how could you not like the DS (aside from your belief that it’s strictly for kids).

And hasn’t anyone noticed as soon as Sony is said to be in competition, they are constantly “WTF, no we’re not. We have UMD video, mp4 and mp3 capabilities. Obviously we are targeting an older market.” Then everyone else sees that and starts their crap about “The DS is for kids, PSP is for adults. I’m and adult and play GTA on my adult PSP.”

Seriously, I hate seeing everyone, including Sony, deny that they aren’t trying to take any of Nintendo’s market.

gdf
December 21st, 2006, 20:18
sony are now concentrating too much on the multimedia features of their consoles, most of which are half baked, ill advised ideas. sony would do better with psp and (presumably ps3) if they actually concentrated on the GAMING aspects of their GAMES consoles(get the hint sony?). thats why ds is doing better. and btw, though aimed at diferrent age brackets, the psp IS in direct competition with the ds, as it is another handheld videogame machine. the whole reason for psp existing was for sony to grab a share of the handheld market, which nintendo have dominated for well over a decade.

dejkirkby
December 21st, 2006, 20:24
the whole reason for psp existing was for sony to grab a share of the handheld market, which nintendo have dominated for well over a decade.

Sony have succeeded in this, but probably not as well as they'd hoped. But as with everything, you learn from your mistakes and hopefully Sony will learn from this and come back stronger with the next version.

emuking
December 21st, 2006, 20:25
If the PSP were lame you wouldn't be coming to this site. It's probably the best bitta kit I've ever owned.

If you mean the software is lame then...I guess to each his own. But the hardware itself rocks!

i mean the software the games are terrible, the hardware is okay with me

irongiant
December 22nd, 2006, 12:02
Finally, it happened. I actually agree with you 100%.

At last.. you've made my day :thumbup:

Now the challenge is to do it again!

irongiant
December 22nd, 2006, 12:59
You guys will believe anything Sony tells you….

And some people are so blinkered they won't believe anything.

Just because you know more PSP owners than DS owners doesn’t prove much. I know plenty of people over the age of 15 that own a DS or DSLite. The fact that you may live in the UK may have an impact on who owns what. It could also mean that your friends believe Sony as well.

What are you going on about?? We can only give our own experience, personally i know about 12 people in their early 30's that own a PSP. None of those own a DS but a couple of them have children that do have a DS. Why is it such a shock to you that the PSP is selling well in the UK, did you not know it was the fastest selling gaming machine in the UK when launched?

So, Sony isn’t in for the kids market? They are trying to target everyone, but are lacking at targeting kids (and some adults, as this site has proven) with software titles, but the few they have, adults seem to like more, such as LocoRoco, Tokobot, and Me and My Katamari.

Sony are happy to sell games to anyone, their focus is on older gamers but why not try to grab younger ones as well?

And come on, the best FPS is a homebrew one.
That’s sad.

The PSP is perfectly suited for other types of games, what is so important about FPS games.. personally i only expect to see FPS games on the big consoles that can really pump out the detail to be displayed on a huge screen as targetting and sniping play such a big part in those games.

What's really sad is just how much this obviously angers you!

And what is with all of the Ad-Hoc multiplayer games? I don’t know anyone that has a PSP except for 1 or 2 people at school and my little sis.

So because you only know 2 people with a PSP Sony shouldn't give others the choice then? Me and my mates have had some quality gaming with Ridge Racers using ad-hoc multiplayer.

The design and functionality of the PSP aims it at a more adult demographic, that's blatantly obvious. Do you know any kids who use the Wi Fi or GPS functionality? The DS on the other hand is aimed more towards kids, the software released speaks for itself. What has happened though is games being released that cross over into each others target audience, the DS has games aimed at adults and the PSP has some games aimed at kids.

More people at ITT (school) have DS’s than PSP’s, and they are ranging in ages from 22-40. That’s 12 people (possibly more, including myself) with DS’s (all of them black DSLites of course) and 3 with PSP’s (including myself.

So what. The US sales figures show the PSP is not far behind the DS is units sold. Why are you so bothered about which one is more popular.

Nintendo is targeting a wide range of audiences as well. With titles like Resident Evil: DS, FFIII, The New Mario Brothers (is this why all you PSP owners hate/detest Nintendo so much, because of Mario?), Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, how could you not like the DS (aside from your belief that it’s strictly for kids).

Most people buy a gaming device for the software available and coming along later on, maybe just maybe we aren't all excited by the thought of another mario game. Plus do you expect everyone to buy a DS as well? Are we not allowed to be happy with just having a PSP. You'll find most PSP owners don't hate Nintendo at all, you're deluding yourself if you believe they do.. just accept that not everyone likes the same games as you.

And hasn’t anyone noticed as soon as Sony is said to be in competition, they are constantly “WTF, no we’re not. We have UMD video, mp4 and mp3 capabilities. Obviously we are targeting an older market.” Then everyone else sees that and starts their crap about “The DS is for kids, PSP is for adults. I’m and adult and play GTA on my adult PSP.”

Seriously, I hate seeing everyone, including Sony, deny that they aren’t trying to take any of Nintendo’s market.

Sony and Nintendo have both stated that their handhelds are primarily targetted at different audiences. Accept it and get over it. Sony will try to take some of Nintendo's audience if they can and Nintendo will try to attract some of Sony's, that is just good business sense.

Try getting out more.

dejkirkby
December 22nd, 2006, 15:07
At last.. you've made my day :thumbup:

Now the challenge is to do it again!

Dude, lets learn to walk before we start running!!:D