PDA

View Full Version : Homemade PSP Camera

cartmandude14
December 22nd, 2006, 19:53
I was wondering if you made a usb adaptor for your psp if you could plug a webcam into it and use it as a psp camera. if anyone would lke to try some stuff out that would be great.

turtleguy101
December 23rd, 2006, 05:52
i dont think thats possible... i think chotto shot comes with like drivers and stuff... i duno lol

gdf
December 23rd, 2006, 15:45
technically i think this could be possible, but it would probably require a homebrew app and lots of time.

acn010
December 23rd, 2006, 18:09
now that im thinking, it is possible, just an adapter could help

kalhalla
December 23rd, 2006, 20:49
i dont think thats possible... i think chotto shot comes with like drivers and stuff... i duno lol

Chotto Shot doesn't come with drivers. The updated usbcam.prx file is included in the 3.01 Firmware. Maybe even the 2.82.

kiore
December 23rd, 2006, 21:40
hey ,now this sounds interesting

cartmandude14
December 24th, 2006, 00:02
hey ,now this sounds interesting

i think the drivers on on the psp's flash in a .prx file so maybe we could edit it to work with a standard usb cam.

now that im thinking, it is possible, just an adapter could help

i made an adaptor but i dont think it works right so i can't really test it :( ill get back to you later.

PSPdemon
December 24th, 2006, 00:36
You can buy the adapters...

Also, it could work.....and then again...it might not.

im pretty sure someone out there is willing to give this a try.... would be cool if we could have webcam ability chat :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

mikebeaver
December 24th, 2006, 17:42
Well if nobody has tried it by Tuesday, ill have a look when i get to work, sounds like an interesting idea though, and im sure it could work.

IamAbe
December 25th, 2006, 19:02
i just bought an adapter online and my logitech cam doesn't work

IndianCheese
January 6th, 2007, 22:12
Not possible. See the two tiny square holes on either side of the USB port on the PSP (NOT the far, circular ones used for securing attachments)? Those provide additional connection to the camera, and unless you can find a USB cable with the same, there is no chance of it working.

Gene
January 8th, 2007, 07:33
Not possible. See the two tiny square holes on either side of the USB port on the PSP (NOT the far, circular ones used for securing attachments)? Those provide additional connection to the camera, and unless you can find a USB cable with the same, there is no chance of it working.

Aren't they just screw holes? i mean, i have various accesories that use the "2 holes" as just ordinary screw holes designed to lock in place.

I apoligize for my ignorance at this point.

GuitarGod1134
January 8th, 2007, 17:44
it would be complicated and might not even work. your better off using the current camera but then writiing some app to function with the camera .
The psp has a good camera why add another one? Im sure someone will make a video recording program or something/.

Larry
January 9th, 2007, 18:32
Dont know if im waking up an old post found this with google.
But did anyone figure out yet how you would connect a 3rd party camera up to the psp?

I made the connector but the psp still doesnt recognise the camera as being plugged in.
The psp official camera has 2 plugs next to the usb port. if you look into them on your psp you see two copper plates, these are for power.

Im under the assumption that the psp draws power through those plugs to external devices. Since the usb plugs main power works as power in, not power out. in order to recieve power as expected for any usb memory device.

"hence why you need special addapters to connect 1 computer to another computer with usb for file transfers, as both would have power out. not power in."

So if anyone has any ideas which is positive and which is negative, we could reroute the power into the usb addapters in order to power the 100mA usb cameras. "500mA cameras would be to high for the psp."

This will come in handy for anyone making their own.
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Edit: the reason im doing this is because i intend to buy a usb camera microscope and use the psp screen as the microscope display..
I'm also gonna peak at the prx but i dont expect to find anything useful

Edit2:I found out the power.
When looking down at the usb port, with the screen facing to you.
The copper plate on the left, near the usb symbol is positive.
the voltage is 3.263volts.
i couldnt get an mA check from my crappy multimeter. as i think its a power on demand which means if it needs 100ma it gives 100ma if it only draws 50 then it only supplies 50. a power saving feature no doubt

Edit3:
Update
Ok i tried removing the power from the psp's usb to the addapter and using the two power ports on the psp to power the camera, still didnt work. not sure whats up. if i can get my hands on an official psp camera i can probably find out whats up. and possibly make a design spec on how to make a propper addapter.

if anyone has an official psp camera and dont mind opening it up and taking some high resolution pics of the pcb boards and connections and all that fun stuff it would really help. Just becareful not to lose any screws or anything.
Have fun guys.

LJRivera
April 17th, 2008, 00:19
Dont know if im waking up an old post found this with google.
But did anyone figure out yet how you would connect a 3rd party camera up to the psp?

if anyone has an official psp camera and dont mind opening it up and taking some high resolution pics of the pcb boards and connections and all that fun stuff it would really help. Just becareful not to lose any screws or anything.
Have fun guys.

Hey Miss Larry - Long Time No Update - Was wondering if there was any progress in this area?

jamiejrg
May 10th, 2008, 17:21
Hmm, thank goodness for the search eh. Well I'm interested in this subject area as well and I will be starting my own research. If I make an progress then i'll post.

Btw, anyone know of any homebrew that is used in conjunction with the camera?

jamiejrg
May 11th, 2008, 23:12
Well i can confirm that the left node is in fact the power and the right being the connected to ground.

Can't seem to get a good reading for voltage or current tho. Just sitting in the xmb and taking a measurement with my volt meter i only get a max of 400 mV. But that can't be right. I can't even get a measure for the current.

Larry, can you explain your experiment in more detail and maybe with pictures?