PDA

View Full Version : Online-enabled PSP to hit Korea in May

wraggster
March 29th, 2005, 00:35
According to sources in Korea, Sony Computer Entertainment will launch its PlayStation Portable, or PSP, in that country on May 2. Unlike the Japan and North America markets, the first shipment of the handheld will come with Internet features ready for use. Sony is partnering with KT Corp., a major wireless Internet service provider in Korea, to offer easy online connectivity and other services.

Similar to the North American launch, Korean consumers will be limited to the Value Pack bundle of the PSP (which will be priced at 328,000 won, or about $320, in that market). The Value Pack will come with the PSP unit, an AC adapter, battery pack, headphone with remote control, a carrying pouch, a cleaning cloth, a strap band, and a 32MB Memory Stick Duo. But that market's Value Pack will have one big difference from the unit's previous releases: out-of-the-box online connectivity.

The first one hundred thousand units sold of the Korean PSP Value Packwill come with a Network Utility UMD and limited-time membership for wireless Internet service, in addition to a UMD movie of Spiderman 2.

By tapping the Network Utility UMD functionality, gamers in Korea will be able to enjoy a number of other online services in addition to games, including web browsing, an online movie player, and an online music player.

The first shipments of the Value Pack also come with a membership for NESPOT, the wireless Web service offered by KT. Gamers who register to NESPOT will be able to access over 14,000 wireless hotspots within Korea. They can also opt to get a NESPOT AP (Access Point) installed in their house for no additional charge. The first month of NESPOT usage will be free; thereafter, gamers will be charged a flat rate of 5,000 won ($4.92) per month.

Gamers who register with NESPOT will also receive a free online-enabled game developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Korea (SCEK), titled Glorace.

Other networked services scheduled for PSP consumers in Korea include on-demand streaming music, on-demand streaming videos (including TV shows), E-learning options, and electronic books. SCEK and KT expect that they will be the first companies to provide a full online experience for the PSP user in any market.

xXpurplepanzy56Xx
March 29th, 2005, 01:45
im kinda following u on all of this but what about US web stuff and games tell me stuff about that

Narles
March 29th, 2005, 06:41
I really hope that something like this comes to the USA. I must admit that I bought my PSP partly with the hope that I would be able to go on the World Wide Web with it soon after it was released. I wonder if the same UMD that is used on the Korean one will work on an American since all PSPs are region free. Maybe Lik-Sang or eBay would sell them...

Vimes220
March 29th, 2005, 07:49
does that mean that there will be an update comming soon for older PSP's??