PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 4 Mobile: A History of Nothing

wraggster
December 23rd, 2006, 12:43
via Gamelife (http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/12/gran_turismo_4_.html)

As we begin the runup to Wired's annual Vaporware Awards, I thought I'd take some time to chronicle the history of one of the most egregious examples of vaporware ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public: Gran Turismo 4 Mobile.

Gran Turismo 4 Mobile was one of the first PSP titles ever announced when it was shown off at E3 2004. It was only available as a video demonstration, but Sony gave it special attention. They showed off the game's box and UMD disc, which were emblazoned with the following paragraph:

"Gran Turismo Anywhere" -- Gran Turismo 4 Mobile, coming from the Gran Turismo series, is the PSP version of the real driving simulator. Its product quality is not at all inferior to its PS2 counterpart, and is compatible to competition over wireless LAN, a unique feature to the PSP.

They even showed off a special GT4-branded PSP hardware. It's safe to say that GT4 was, at the time, the strongest argument in favor of buying a PSP. Which made it all the more ridiculous that it apparently never existed.

Typical of the breathless coverage by the games media was this article from IGN, ironically titled "GT4 PSP is Real." And who could blame them? From all appearances, it was real -- as real as anything else on PSP, given that the vast majority of the software was video-only at that point. It was enough to make Nintendo DS look old and busted, no matter how much fun Metroid Prime Hunters was at that show.

But that was all we ever heard about it. Realizing that they had to say something, Sony's Japan offices kept delaying the game by bits and pieces. First it got pushed back to Spring 2005. Then, after E3 2005 came and went with nary a mention of the game, it got pushed to 2006. Two Tokyo Game Shows came and went with nothing. Meanwhile, developer Polyphony Digital was announcing and shipping other games, like the motorcycle racing game Tourist Trophy, and now Gran Turismo HD for PlayStation 3 (which was cancelled, turned into a downloadable "concept demo" to be released this month, and replaced with Gran Turismo 5).

1up interviewed the series' producer Kazunori Yamauchi in April 2006 and asked point-blank what was going on. Yamauchi's answer indicated that they weren't anywhere near close to completion on the game, and indeed brought into question whether it was even going to happen at all:

1UP: Finally, can you give us any update on Gran Turismo PSP?

KY: We are in the works. It is going forward. It does exist. We're working on it. We don't have a release date, of course. A question for you is do people out there really have high hopes for a GT version on PSP?

1UP: I think so, yeah. Back when it was first talked about, people got really excited. I guess it's kind of fallen off the map because it hasn't really been talked about since then, but it'll be big news.

KY: Another question. Which do you think would you or the users would like to have first: a PS3 version of Gran Turismo or PSP version of Gran Turismo?
That really should have ended anyone's hopes for Gran Turismo 4 Mobile. At this point, Yamauchi's suggestions (and just the fact that they've stopped talking about Mobile) would seem to indicate that if they ever do bring out a Gran Turismo game for PSP, it won't be GT4 Mobile. But the damage has been done, as they say.

240-185
December 23rd, 2006, 12:58
KY: Another question. Which do you think would you or the users would like to have first: a PS3 version of Gran Turismo or PSP version of Gran Turismo?
That's the dumbest "answer" I've ever read.

dogspit
December 23rd, 2006, 15:42
WTF?? Since the time i bought my PSP, that i've been waiting for GT 4... and now it looks like it will never see the daylight :mad: :mad:
Man.. i'm really disappointed with sony :(

And yeah, one of the things that convinced me on buying my PSP was seeing the video of GT4. (guess it was to good to be true)

SHAME ON YOU SONY! :mad:

dejkirkby
December 23rd, 2006, 15:46
I still sometimes see adverts including PSP images (such as a free PSP with a mobile phone contract) and the PSP have a screen of GT4 Mobile. This is a damn shame.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
December 23rd, 2006, 17:13
Really?

acn010
December 23rd, 2006, 17:16
WTF?? Since the time i bought my PSP, that i've been waiting for GT 4... and now it looks like it will never see the daylight :mad: :mad:
Man.. i'm really disappointed with sony :(

And yeah, one of the things that convinced me on buying my PSP was seeing the video of GT4. (guess it was to good to be true)

SHAME ON YOU SONY! :mad:

i bought my psp because of gran trsmo, but meh, gt my homebrew and emus :)

mavsman4457
December 23rd, 2006, 17:40
I bought my PSP for the same reasons: Homebrew, first and foremost, and then GT4 mobile. Now that we have a PS1 emulator I say play GT1 and 2 and forget about GT4 mobile. It's just depressing to hear about it.

Baboon
December 23rd, 2006, 17:55
That sucks.

I guess the only option to play Gran Turismo on PSP will eventually be by a PS1 emu.

acn010
December 23rd, 2006, 17:58
nooo!!!!!!!!....... when is it coming out!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!

robocelot
December 23rd, 2006, 19:58
Why does everyone blame Sony for this, since at least some of the blame should be POLYS.

Since SCEJ took POLYS under their wing they have been treated like gods and given free reign to do anything they please. The best example of these sorts of excesses is how many real life cars they wrecked or destroyed doing 'research' for GT3. While it made for some sensational magazine articles it really didn't help the bottom line when it came to producing games. As a result, good projects have fallen by the wayside and been replaced by stuff that has gone nowhere and never sees the light of day. Frankly, I'm surprised that Sony hasn't curtailed POLYS behavior and forced them to focus on one game sooner.

Before Gran Turismo POLYS was little known, even within Japan. Motor Toon Grand Prix was their claim to fame and it wasn't until the Motor Toon sequel that they gained any notoriety (and that was because of the bonus game on the second MTGP2 disk -- the demo showing that a 60fps racer was possible on the PS1). It was that little demo which started them on the road to what ended up as Gran Turismo. Sony only took notice (and later ownership) of POLYS long after Gran Turismo was started.

gdf
December 23rd, 2006, 20:24
i heard that some folk got to try it out over wireless at the start of this year. it will probably surface again at some point and get either a) a belated release and seem old or b)get turned into another gt game, with a different title (eg GT: Portable, GT: Mini, or even a psp version of GT: 5), different tracks, cars etc...

emuking
December 23rd, 2006, 22:31
biggest over promised vaporware ever in history does anyone agree with me

mikebeaver
December 23rd, 2006, 23:05
Well apart from Duke Nukem Forever.
When they made the title of that game they never expected it to actually take forever, lol.

hacksparrow
December 24th, 2006, 04:23
i remember on my ps1 my gf @ the x got me GT1 and i didnt talk 2 her much after that haha, but now we can have GT1 AND 2!!! on psp so who cares about this vaporware?

F9zDark
December 24th, 2006, 07:39
That's the dumbest "answer" I've ever read.

Actually, its not really all that 'dumb' per se. It gets to the point without ever saying it. Devs have gotta watch their mouths. If they say, "Its not happening", and it is, albeit slowly as hell, they could get in trouble from the 'higher ups'.

Whether its going to come out is rather clear: its not. But he never said it "wasn't" so he's washed his hands.

Rather clever actually, even though shitty.

F9zDark
December 24th, 2006, 07:46
Well apart from Duke Nukem Forever.
When they made the title of that game they never expected it to actually take forever, lol.

Duke Nukem Forever is a prime example. However, 3d Realms had extenuating circumstances. I, firmly, believe they neared bankrupcy; which would explain the complete and utter lack of ANY news on their website for 2+ years.

Prey was also a title that they started early on (if I recall correctly, it was started sometime in 1998). Which made its release a whopping 8 years after...

Personally, I think DNF is a lost cause. Unless they use the engine used in Prey for DNF, they won't achieve the results they want (they changed engines for DNF numerous times, trying to harness the state of the art graphics tech of the time).

Now that DX10 video cards will be rolling down the pipes, I doubt 3d Realms can keep up with their constant shift towards the fresh and new graphics.

I'd love to play DNF, but I don't think I will ever get to.

HarryPOThed
December 25th, 2006, 13:36
word, no new gt for psp, gt1 2 will have to do......where are you oe-b?!