PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for Sega/Mega CD Emulator on PSP?

SCSA
December 24th, 2006, 15:08
I wonder can it be done?
Does someone even tried to make a Sega CD emulator on PSP.
Cause there were some great games on Sega CD.

JKKDARK
December 24th, 2006, 15:12
No. And you will not see one soon. Plus there are NOT Sega CD emulators on consoles.

SCSA
December 24th, 2006, 15:18
No. And you will not see one soon. Plus there are NOT Sega CD emulators on consoles.

You're wrong!
On Xbox there are lots of Sega CD Emulators

althena77
December 24th, 2006, 15:23
Plus there are NOT Sega CD emulators on consoles.

What do you you mean by "there are NOT Sega CD emulators on consoles"? You mean for no console at all? That would be wrong, because there is a great Mega Drive/CD/32X emulator out there for the old Xbox 1 called Neogenesis and some older emulators (for example Xenesis) too. All games so far for it I tested run perfect, including many CD games. After my Mega CD stopped working I played and beat with this one on my Xbox for example Shining Force CD, Lunar 1+2 and Snatcher.

Frohe Weihnachten nach München :thumbup:

Edit:

@SCSA: Right, I am typing too slow ;) But as far as I know CD emulation is not yet supported with the PSP ports of all those emulators because the CD emulations requires more CPU power and the PSP is far less powerful than an Xbox. But maybe some skilled coder will surprise us in the future like the one making gpsp :)

JKKDARK
December 24th, 2006, 16:43
If there are a Sega CD and Sega 32X emulator, sorry. I didn't know, since Xbox have a lot of problems with legal/illegal emulation, I didn't pay attention.

mikebeaver
December 24th, 2006, 17:11
Ya, i forgot about neo genesis, will try and dig out my old sonic cd, used to love that game back in the day.
Be good if someone managed to make a Sega CD emu, its not really much different to the Genesis is it?

JKKDARK
December 24th, 2006, 17:15
Ya, i forgot about neo genesis, will try and dig out my old sonic cd, used to love that game back in the day.
Be good if someone managed to make a Sega CD emu, its not really much different to the Genesis is it?

Sega CD, Sega 32X and Sega Genesis are completely different.

SCSA
December 24th, 2006, 17:50
So wich coder is open for suggestions , so we can ask him to try cause from what i understand nobody realy tried to mess with Sega CD emulation on PSP

Kaiser
December 25th, 2006, 03:22
Sega CD, Sega 32X and Sega Genesis are completely different.

The 32x is quite different then the other two (Much newer and more powerful technology). But Sega CD and Genesis technology are quite similar. The trick is getting the Sega CD and the Genesis hardware emulated at the same time (Lots of horsepower required). 32x emulation is much harder then either and I don't even want to think about the complexities of emulating a 32x-CD game (since it would be going through Genesis-CD-32X hardware simultaneously).

So basically Sega CD emulation is possible/probable but I doubt a 32x emulator would ever surface. Though devs may suprise us, we all once thought N64 emulation was impossible. :)

mikebeaver
December 25th, 2006, 12:10
oops i idnt think about it having to emulate the genesis/sega cd at the same time, good point Kaiser.
The Sega CD was really just a CD add=on with a few extra tricks though, such as fmv capability and a mode 7 esque feature, appart from that I dont seem to recal any difference in the onboard cound or graphics capability, so an emu patch could be made possibly to add the functions to an existing emu, just depends on how sega done it in the first place i suppose.

karurosu
December 25th, 2006, 21:42
The SegaCD not only added a CD drive.

It added:

1 Processor (same as the genesis, but higher speed)
6 Mbits of RAM
1 Graphic Processor
10 extra audio channels via an extra SPU.

Even with that, I think emulation can be possible (the PSP has 2 main processors!)

Also, if neogeo can be emulated, SegaCD should be easy.