PDA

View Full Version : Help with DC Controller port repair.

diablo2121
December 24th, 2006, 19:02
So my controller resistor busted and I went down to Radioshack to pick up some 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistors. I replace the busted one with one of the new ones and tested it out. Sure enough, all controllers are working and getting adequate power. No burning aromas and no smoking so all systems are go. I pop in a game and start playing.

Here's where the problem starts: with the vibration pack in, everytime the controller rumbles moderately to severely, the controller seems to lose power since the VMU beeps as if restarting and all input is ignored until the VMU stops beeping. Does anyone know what's wrong with this?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
December 26th, 2006, 00:37
replace them with DC parts. It might have like a breaker for surges or something so that it kix when u add the rumble.

nightwinn
September 7th, 2007, 00:13
Might be resurrecting an old thread for nothing, but here is what I tried. Maybe this will be of help to someone. With this fix I managed to get rumble working again without resetting the vmus.

I first tried the 10ohm resistor from Radio Shack and experienced similar results with the vmu resetting every time the rumble pack vibrated.

The next thing I tried was to use a 1-amp fuse. I bought a chais-type fuse holder (Part 270-739, pack of 2), 1-amp 250 volt fast-acting fuse (Part 270-1005, pack of 4), and 22 gauge wire. It should be noted that the amps and chasis are of the 1.25" by 0.25" size. The package listed the dimenstions with fractions. I hope those years in math class didn't go to waste. I would have used smaller fuses, but Radio Shack did not have a smaller chasis at the location I went to.

I used the wire to attach the chasis connections to the spots where the F1 resistor was. I added some solder to the points where the wires touched the chasis for added circuit quality. I also added a touch of super glue to the bottom of the chasis and placed it on the right part of the controller board.

As a side note, I have heard suggestions about using slow buring fuses instead of fast acting fuses. I do not know which is better.

Here is a pic. All I had was a webcam.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5051/dreamcastup8.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dreamcastup8.jpg)