View Full Version : [RELEASE] Flash0 Free Space Calculator v1

kando
December 25th, 2006, 10:44
another release for tonite, happy holidays all :D

Flash0 Free Space File Generater v. 1

-Coding by kando and weltall
-Based on some code by LordSturm
-Readme by kando

WARNING: ALTHOUGH THIS PROGRAM ONLY RUNS FOR MERE SECONDS, DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY WHILE IT IS RUNNING.
DO NOT RUN IF YOUR BATTERY IS ON THE VERGE OF DYING.

-What does this program do?

This program attempts to determine how much space is actually free on your Flash0.
It achieves this by copying a large file to your flash0 and seeing how much actually transfers.

Afterwards, the file is deleted. A new file is created in your ms0:/ named flash0.size.

The size of ms0:/flash0.size is the free space on your flash0 :)

--Can this program brick my flash0?

Answer: not likely. there is ALWAYS a 0.00001% chance of bricking, however, as long as you dont take out your battery or run it w/ 1% battery left, you will be fine. Just let the program finish running.
Also if you run this program about 100,000 times your flash0 might give out. But then again, even w/ all my playing around w/ flash0, i've only written a couple hundred times :)

--Why would I want to know how much space i have?

Answer: there are many reasons. you may want to code a program that uses flash0 space for something. you may want to modify firmware parts that require more room. you may want to flash modules. there are dozens of reasons. how many times have you heard people asking "how much space is free on flash0 in firmware xxx...."....this is how ya find out!

--BUGS:

-Free space can only be calculated up to 1.50MB at this point in time. Then again, any new firmware nowadays has less than 800KB free :P - i will work on this for the next version.

cheers!
-kando

Shoutouts to (in no order of importance except for the first one): Dark_AleX, deuce, brentp, FoG, Jordan, HellDragon, MikeDX, Train2335, FreePlay, NOPx86, x3sphere, cyanide, LordSturm, birdman, jamesbdx, busta, Feli, Fragtastic06, Nomo, MY MOM, MY DAD, jas0nuk, TheBuzzer, poohter, Fanjita, Ditlew, Team Noobz, Matheuith, Ell, mr_dank, vb_master, all who joined irc.toc2rta.com #psp, all my friends IRL, ColdBird, holmz, weltall, moca, Art, and anyone i happened to miss :)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

blackrave
December 25th, 2006, 13:41
Ah yes. I've always wanted this, so I could see how much free space I actually have on flash0 so I won't overload it with gameboots and fonts and DH files. :p

Thank you, kando and company!

mnuhaily22
December 25th, 2006, 17:22
Not to be negative, but dosn't x-flash already do that without the need to write to the flash??? Just a question, because I thought I read that earlier.

dejkirkby
December 25th, 2006, 17:24
X-Flash estimates the space left, this seems more accurate.