PDA

View Full Version : PS1 games with 2 or more disks on OE-B?

althena77
December 26th, 2006, 07:06
Hello :)

Does anybody know if games that are on 2 or more disks can be played when you have to switch the disks? I am worried about games that maybe won't let you save before you have to.
I am interested in playing Chrono Cross and Dragon Warrior VII on my PSP if they should work. Has anyone here played them recently and remembers if you can save there before switching the disks? I played these games years ago and can't right know :confused:
Also I think I remember reading something about putting 2 CDs or CD images together to 1 disk, I think for some other emulators. Is there probably a way to do this with PS1 disks for the OE-B emulator?

Thanks and greetings!
althena77

ninja9393
December 26th, 2006, 07:21
you need to iso's

1 for each disc and when it says go to the next disc go to the next eboot with the disc 2 iso

althena77
December 26th, 2006, 08:47
you need to iso's

1 for each disc and when it says go to the next disc go to the next eboot with the disc 2 iso

I know :)

What I am concerned about is, that Popstation doesn't give you an option to change the "disk" on the fly, what all emulators for the PS1 on PC or also pcsxbox on the Xbox have. This lets you change the disk while playing the game without having the exit the game first.
I wonder if this is necessary for some games to be able to continue playing on disk 2. I see there no problems if in all games you can save before switching the disk but if you just had to change the disk without being able to save, I think it would be impossible right now to continue these games at this point with Popstation right now.

kalhalla
December 26th, 2006, 09:54
I think it will all just come down to if it allows you to save your game before you have to switch. Example, Dragoon, and Parasite Eve II should allow you to save your game, and THEN switch. But Chrono Cross im not sure about. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Maybe I'll dig up a savegame file of Crono Cross and check myself.

sfaok
December 26th, 2006, 22:12
I did some testing and found that you can't obviously change discs through the emulator itself. I tried Final Fantasy 8 using disc 2 and started a new game. However, since the Final Fantasy games allow you to save prior to the disc change it shouldn't be a problem.

Games such as Xenogears, Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross don't allow you to change discs so would be unplayable.

My only possible solution to this is to use 2 memory sticks and create two identical folders and put disc 1 and 2 in the respective folders; when the disc change comes about, swap the memory sticks and see if the emulator registers the change and allows you to continue.

Unfortunately, I've no means of testing this method at the moment, nor do I have the means of hooking up my first memory stick directly to the PC and doing it that way.

I'd be interested if someone could test this out by starting a new game on the second disc of any multi-disc game and swapping the cards when the disc change occurs.

steve-b
December 26th, 2006, 23:12
I can see this being an issue. Even if we can get the iso from each disc into one image, the game is still going to expect a disc change surely. Hmm

12loogies
December 27th, 2006, 01:23
I'm pretty sure you could just use the dos command "copy b" to combine 2 or 3 isos. Remember back when we all dumped our umd games about a year ago, and the file size was larger than our sticks, so after 2 dumps the "copy b" command was used and all was fine.

mikebeaver
December 27th, 2006, 01:27
Damn, I hope this doesnt happen, lol.
I remember the reason I never finished Chrono Cross was that it was an imported US one and I had just the swap method for my PSX, as it doesnt save before disk 2 starts I got very annoyed and never played it again, till now. Bah, bloody squaresoft, will I never get to finish this game?

Oraichu
December 27th, 2006, 01:30
It's no problem. All the "homemade" ISO's use the same memory card. So when you change CD(change eboot) it will still be able to load the save.

If you tried the official games, you'd notice each gamde had it's own "memory card", games didn't notices saves from other games. Homebrew ISO's don't notice saves from official games, only other homebrew ISOs. (Most likely because of all being based on the Hot Shots 2, so it readies it all as 1 memory card.)

althena77
December 31st, 2006, 05:49
Hello again, just wonder if by now someone played a game that came out on 2 or more discs until the end of the first one and managed to continue playing the game on disc 2. Did it work for some games or did some people could not continue the game?

PlayingKarrde
December 31st, 2006, 05:55
The GAMEID needs to be the same for all ISOs you are using (ie if using FF7 they all need to be 94163) and have the same name (not FF7 Disc 1, FF7 Disc 2).

Then you save your game before the disc swap, load the new iso and load that save file.

althena77
December 31st, 2006, 07:00
The GAMEID needs to be the same for all ISOs you are using (ie if using FF7 they all need to be 94163) and have the same name (not FF7 Disc 1, FF7 Disc 2).

Then you save your game before the disc swap, load the new iso and load that save file.

Did you actually try that out yourself? Because I really would like to hear from someone that it is working and not how it might work ;)

And you said "Then you save your game before the disc swap". But can you save in all games that come on more than one disc before the swap? I played FF7, Chrono Cross and some more games back then, but can't remember such details right now.
But as some people said before you can't for example in Chrono Cross I am worried that maybe some games like that are unplayable in Popstation as in there is no option right now to change the disc while playing the game.
You would have to exit the game, what would be like turning off the Playstation before the disk swap.

PlayingKarrde
December 31st, 2006, 07:21
If you load up the second disc of FF7 with the save file of the first disc it asks you to insert said disc.

Games that don't allow you to save before changing discs may well be FUBAR. It's a shame. It'll be interesting to see how Sony handles that (maybe not release them?).

gymnotropic
December 31st, 2006, 16:41
A CWcheat was released that lets you save seperate memory card files. You save your game with the memory card option, and it acts as a memory card, I believe. It should help get past the multiple disc barrier.

hockey2112
December 31st, 2006, 18:37
Does MEtal Gear Solid allow you to save between discs?

MasterChafed
January 1st, 2007, 00:01
Umm, couldn't you just put your psp into standby on the change disc screen, then switch the eboot (assuming you have a memorystick reader)?

althena77
January 1st, 2007, 00:01
A CWcheat was released that lets you save seperate memory card files. You save your game with the memory card option, and it acts as a memory card, I believe. It should help get past the multiple disc barrier.

I don't think so, let me explain again:

When you finish a disc from a PS1 game that comes on more than one disc on a real PS1, normally it will ask you to take out the disc and insert disc 2. Then the game will just go on and you can continue playing it.

However I believe this procedure is impossible right now on the PSP unless the games gives you the possibility to save exactly that moment. Some games ask you something like "Would you like to save before changing disc?" but not all games do that.

The PS1 emulator from Sony in the 3.0x firmware has no option to change the disc while playing the game, you have to exit the game and load the second disc like it would be a new game. However this would be like turning off the console at that point when you play it on a real PS1 and you would lose the progress playing until the end of disc 1 and when loading disc 2 the game would still ask you to finish disc 1 first.
The possibility to use more memory cards wouldn't change this. The only workaround you might have by using CWcheat now is to use other peoples save games as it allows you to use save games in other formats than the ones from PopStation. However this way it wouldn't be really your game anymore as decisions might have changed you made in the game on disc one, the play time, names of characters etc.. Also you lose the play time of the game until the beginning of disc 2 and later until the first possibility to save the game.

@ hockey2112: I am not 100% sure as it is a few years ago since I played the game but I think you couldn't. Does anyone remember if you could save the moment you change discs in Dragon Warrior VII?

Tinnus
January 1st, 2007, 00:36
1) swapping the eboot.pbp doesn't worked, people tried

2) copy b doesn't work for technical damn obvious reasons I won't state here :rolleyes:

3) using cwcheat works. Let me explain:

- Get to the last save point in disc 1.
- Open cwcheat and save the current memory card file
- Load ePSXe in your PC with the saved memory card from cwcheat
- Get past the disc change in ePSXe and save in disc 2
- Run disc 2 in the PSP and load the memory card modified by ePSXe using cwcheat
- Load your disc 2 save

:)

edit: Just FYI, both FF7, FF8 and FF9 let you save before disk change.

SketchPCIS
January 1st, 2007, 00:36
I am also very eager to find out exactly what has to happen with the multi-disc games...I've kept myself from playing them until I know for sure *chuckles*

althena77
January 1st, 2007, 00:54

- Run disc 2 in the PSP and load the memory card modified by ePSXe using cwcheat
- Load your disc 2 save

Well, this is a workaround that might/should work for now, but it means also that you can't play some games 100% on the PSP and it requires that you have access to a PC when at the end of disc. I think this is OK if you really have to play these games on the PSP but inconvenient if for example in my case you have not even yet installed a PS1 emulator on your PC and the PC is probably too slow to emulate the PS1 smooth.
Also I was thinking about playing games like Chrono Cross on my PSP during holidays when traveling, not sure if I want to go looking for a PC with ePSXe there every time I have to change the disc. And at home I still prefer playing it with my PS1/2 before going through that all ;)

Tinnus
January 1st, 2007, 01:58
Chrono Cross is no problem, the only thing it has in Disc 2 is the final dungeon IIRC. 95% of the game is contained in disc 1.

althena77
January 1st, 2007, 06:37
Chrono Cross is no problem, the only thing it has in Disc 2 is the final dungeon IIRC. 95% of the game is contained in disc 1.

Hmm, I think this still is a problem because when I play a RPG I want to play 100% of the game and not just 95% and when I played a game 40 hours I want to see the ending even more ;)

The problem remains here and is the same, no matter if it is in the middle of the game or near the end. You can't play the full game on the PSP, you need to install CWcheat, copy the save game to a PC, set up an PSX emulator there and play from the last save on disc 1 until the first opportunity to save on disc 2.
Very annoying if you have not access to a PC when traveling :mad: And the only point in playing PS1 games on my PSP, for me is doing so while traveling, otherwise I still prefer playing those games on my TV :)

SketchPCIS
January 2nd, 2007, 04:13
1) swapping the eboot.pbp doesn't worked, people tried

2) copy b doesn't work for technical damn obvious reasons I won't state here :rolleyes:

- Load your disc 2 save

:)

edit: Just FYI, both FF7, FF8 and FF9 let you save before disk change.

This makes a lot of sense, and while it's a hassle in some regards, it's a godsend in others. It's so simple, I kick myself for not realizing it XD

mikebeaver
January 2nd, 2007, 15:30

Chrono cross is a problem, ive gotten quite far into it and it just crashes at the same point, used the cwcheat to get past it and it still happens, everytime i gain a new character after getting Razzly it just freezes!

benn
January 3rd, 2007, 14:52
Hmm, I think this still is a problem because when I play a RPG I want to play 100% of the game and not just 95% and when I played a game 40 hours I want to see the ending even more ;)

The problem remains here and is the same, no matter if it is in the middle of the game or near the end. You can't play the full game on the PSP, you need to install CWcheat, copy the save game to a PC, set up an PSX emulator there and play from the last save on disc 1 until the first opportunity to save on disc 2.
Very annoying if you have not access to a PC when traveling :mad: And the only point in playing PS1 games on my PSP, for me is doing so while traveling, otherwise I still prefer playing those games on my TV :)

lol. agree with all your points.
i think the fact is that Sony did not release the PSX emulator with any game that were multiple discs. They have not yet developed the work around. My feeling is that you will have to wait for the following:

A) a developer creates a homebrew workaround that allows on-the-fly ISO changing.

B) Sony release an updated PSX emulator in a firmware update and DAX (or anyone else) manages to hack that.

outside of that, it seems your multi-disc RPG is confined to Final Fantasy 7,8, &9.... so it's not all bad news.
;)

PSPKOR
January 4th, 2007, 13:17
I would have thought Sony could combine the multi disk games into one ISO and compress it. Just a thought.

What version of CWcheats works with the PSX emu?

mikebeaver
January 4th, 2007, 19:33
use this link here (http://dl.qj.net/CWCHEAT-0.1.6-for-302OE-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/11886/catid/151)
for cw cheat to use with 3.02 OE-B