PDA

View Full Version : Popstation on other OSs

inerd
December 26th, 2006, 11:41
Unlike most of you here I dont use windows as my primary os, which really puts the use of Popstation out of the window for me when it comes to converting my PS1 games to the PSP format.

As popstation uses cygwin which I am lead to belive is a linux emulating program for win32 there must easily be a way to get it working for *nix/BSD systems (and also Mac OS X command line). Does anyone know if this is possible or if we can get hold of the code to modify it for *nix systems? Would save a whole lot of windows pain.

althena77
December 26th, 2006, 12:23
Unlike most of you here I dont use windows as my primary os, which really puts the use of Popstation out of the window for me when it comes to converting my PS1 games to the PSP format.

As popstation uses cygwin which I am lead to belive is a linux emulating program for win32 there must easily be a way to get it working for *nix/BSD systems (and also Mac OS X command line). Does anyone know if this is possible or if we can get hold of the code to modify it for *nix systems? Would save a whole lot of windows pain.

I didn't try Popstation under Linux as I have both, Windows and Linux on my computer and so I don't use Wine or such tools often, but to get Popstation working under Windows you just need to put a file called "Cygwin1.dll" in your C/Windows/System32 folder.
I remember doing something like that for Wine too, putting DLLs in the "fake_windows" folder.
Try looking into your /home/username/.wine folder for the system32 folder of wine and put the Cygwin1.dll in there. Maybe your Popstation will work after that with "wine popstation.exe ps1game.iso" :rolleyes:

Goos luck!
althena77

inerd
December 26th, 2006, 13:10
Oh getting it working in windows isnt the problem, it just seems stupid to emulate windows to then re-emulate linux. My idea is to get hold of the actualy linux executable, which will allow its use on OSs other than windows. If we can get a linux/nix/osx version it would be a benifit to the whole community, not just the (Admittedly majority) who use windows.