PDA

View Full Version : Google I/O: raw server service

wraggster
June 30th, 2012, 23:48
Following in the footsteps of both Microsoft and Amazon, Google has set up its own server service.
It allows those who sign up to access the company's servers and use their processing power to run almost any application they wish.
Known as the Compute Engine, the service was unveiled at Google's I/O Developers conference by Urs Holzle, who manages the company's infrastructure.
The service is being aimed at organisations that require large amounts of processing power, with a demonstration at the conference running a genetic analysis application which used around 600,000 processors.
It is widely believed that Google has launched their own server service to compete for the market currently dominated by Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud and Microsoft's Windows Azure. Amazon's EC2 is currently the market leader in the market with estimates suggesting it powers 1% of all web traffic.
PCR has been following Google’s I/O Developers conference all week long, reporting yesterday on the unveiling of the Nexus 7 tablet PC being produced by Asus and the announcement that Android Jelly Bean – the company’s latest OS is scheduled to arrive in mid-July.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/google-i-o-raw-server-service/028600