PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Disc PSX games...do their GAMEIDs Need to be Identical?

SketchPCIS
December 29th, 2006, 00:53
Ok, I've tested out a few things with my PSX games I've backed up, and found out something interesting with the save games...

If you use the hex editor (Or the new Program that does it for you =D) to change the game ID, it will give you 2 new memory cards to deal with. HOWEVER, no other game can access these cards!

I tested it with "D" And Castlevania: SotN. I had a game I saved with D, then I move the MEMCARD1.DAT to Castlevania's Savegame folder from the D folder.

When I wne to load Castlevania, I got the dreaded 'Cannot run Game' error. Deleting the Save Game folder fixes this.

Now, when I load Castlevania fresh, there are (of course) no other saves, and no option to browse for others. So what happens with multiple disc games?

I guess my question is, before I get too in-depth with it all, should multiple disc games use the same GAMEID #, so they can access the save games from other games? Or any game that has a 'load from pervious save' function? (Armored Core is a perfect example of this).

I've already backed up a number of my games and organized them with custom-made icons, etc...I'd hate to have to go back and mess with them again...but I'd like to know what to do -before- getting too in-depth with it all (I have a lot of games to go)

Any thoughts?

PlayingKarrde
December 29th, 2006, 01:29
Use the official GameIDs from http://www.sonyindex.com/PS1_Renamer/dbase.ps1 and the second disc will read the first disc's save file.

While I have no actually tested this though, in theory it should be the case as this is the reason each disc had it's own ID.

SketchPCIS
December 29th, 2006, 01:49
Well, I've just been using my own custom GAMEID's...

SCUS00001
SCUS00002
Etc Etc...

And with multiple Disc games, I just keep with that, increasing the Game ID by one.

Could it be that I need to edit the GAMEID itself to what is on that list for it to work properly? Or would it even matter?

PlayingKarrde
December 29th, 2006, 02:06
I was wrong apparently.

take a look here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47237

Edit:

And the GameID you choose doesn't matter, I just use the official ones to make sure I don't forget or overwrite a gameID.

SketchPCIS
December 29th, 2006, 02:22
Yeah, looks like...I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing...

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=40946

This is probably the best GUI out there for Popstation right now, and it's -very- nice. It even autofills in the GameID#. I'll have to remember what # I use for multi disc games, but it seems alright to me otherwise.

PlayingKarrde
December 29th, 2006, 02:28
Very nice! Also allows PMF files... just wish there was a way to encode to that.

SketchPCIS
December 29th, 2006, 02:33
Yeah...I'm fine with my .png's though :P...

I'm hoping what you said about the save games works alright...I'd hate to play through Disc one of something, only to find out that 'Hey! Sorry, but you can't play the next Disc'

PlayingKarrde
December 29th, 2006, 02:39
Well what I said about the discs was wrong. You apparently need to have the same ID for both. At least that's what I think from what I read.

Different IDs (ie proper ones) won't work it appears.

SketchPCIS
December 29th, 2006, 02:53
Yeah...the way the PSP reads the memory, it's unable to (In its current form) to select a different 'memory card'

So I've amended how I make the games, Good thing I caught this GUI early, and learned this about the save games as well...I've converted only a few multi disc games so far.

PlayingKarrde
December 29th, 2006, 03:02
All my multi-disc games are only converted up to disc 1 so far, but in the future I'll be sure to stick to this.

I guess this also applies to Red Alert where the two discs can be played from the start? Hmm actually maybe not...