PDA

View Full Version : PSP Not A Sellout Hit

wraggster
March 30th, 2005, 22:17
We're starting to see our first mainstream media reports on the PSP's (lack of) sales performance, from the Seattle Times: "But while Sony is touting the rollout as a success -- and many retailers did sell their entire stock -- the event might not have been the complete blockbuster that was expected." In summary, the article says that more systems were sold than not, that dedicated gaming stores were more likely to sell out than department stores like Target, and that the biggest reason gamers didn't pick it up is likely its price -- which wasn't helped by some retailers' sale condition that customers also purchase games, which could raise the price to nearly $350. Will demand pick up once the unit is out there and seen by people, or will it take a price cut before the system sells satisfactorily?"

leggy
March 30th, 2005, 22:21
It certainly is an expensive machine - worth the money in my opinion though.

But getting parents to fork out £200ish when it comes out here is going to prove difficult.

I think they will eventually have to drop the price.

Vimes220
March 31st, 2005, 08:04
I don't think the price will drop for the UK launch. Lets face it how much do parents spend on kids for Xmas these days. our nieghbours kid gets roughly £250 - £300+ spent on him for xmas. you will probably see bundlels for around the £220 with a game. which most parents will happily go further into debt to get their little brats, sorry darlings, one.

aseddon130
March 31st, 2005, 15:24
just thinking, the DS isnt really a hit is it? especially over here - ive yet to see a Game or Gamestation to be sold out of them, also i do not know one person who has bought it (except my dad, when he saw it and compared it to PSP he gave it my brother lol) either its not doing well or they sent out enough stock (HINT TO SONY)

but no matter what price the PSP will be over here it will sell out and be a big hit, the original PS2 was a hit and that was £300 for the console, then u had to spend £30 for mem card, £25 for another pad and £40 for a launch title, and people will pay for it. and then 5 years down the line they put out the slimline PS2 which was (and still is) £100 and after a day in my local Game store it was sold out, and it is guaranteed that 70% of the buyers already got a normal PS2 (i sold my normal one to get one ... dont ask why) but thought "yeah, il have that" - people just seem to love spending lotsa lotsa money for a new console, regardless of the price, especially Sony consoles.