PDA

View Full Version : Are You Fed Up With Your Current XMB Icons? Why Not Hack It?

splodger15
December 29th, 2006, 12:16
Nope, the image isn't fake. And yes, it is a screenshot of a hacked XMB. Are you interested yet?

We know our handheld's XMB looks fine and well already but changes are sometimes good. As much as you don't want to be wearing the same clothes every day and eating the same food every meal, we are pretty sure you don't want that for your PSP either. XMB Icon Hacking is a Lua application created by homebrew coder kgsws.

As the name implies, the application allows for changing icons on our XMB. It was originally made for 1.5 FWs. Although kgsws isn't sure if there will be complications with other firmwares, he suggested just the same to use custom ones so as to avoid problems.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

D0N
December 29th, 2006, 12:37
Can this be used with 3.02 OE-B?

Nikolaos
December 29th, 2006, 15:57
whoa... nice ima test this out.

alamosh
December 29th, 2006, 16:20
Hey, hey... Does this work? LUA? Writes the FLASH?

Chang21
December 29th, 2006, 16:29
i think this program flash topmenu_plugin.rco in psp

Veskgar
December 29th, 2006, 16:31
Something like this I'd think would be ideal for DevHook. If you can emulate the XMB without flashing that would be great. If using something like this with 3.02 OE-B required you to flash away then forget it. The current icons are fine.

blackrave
December 29th, 2006, 16:34
This does not work with anything else than 1.50 (at least according to comments on QJ).

By the way, I don't think QJ will be so happy if they see that the news is just copied and pasted from them. :p
But thanks for the news anyway.

I too think that this would be great for DevHook. Isn't it already possible? If you just copy the topmenu_plugin.rco into the correct folder?

cal360
December 29th, 2006, 16:38
this would be great if it could be implemented into x - flash i'm i'm not going to try this yet though

Vega
December 29th, 2006, 16:47
By the way, I don't think QJ will be so happy if they see that the news is just copied and pasted from them. :p
But thanks for the news anyway.

:rofl: Its happened more than enough times to this site. Wouldnt stress over it.

imagecko
December 29th, 2006, 17:09
DO not try with 3.02 oe-b it will brick, thank god for the recovery mode.

Mr. Shizzy
December 29th, 2006, 17:13
I just read 20+ pages about this on QJ. And from what I understand:

This was originally made for 1.5. People have been using 2.5 top_menu.rco files to flash this on OE firmware... But if you do, there will be some missing icons on your XMB. :(

When, and if they can decrypt the 3.0 top_menu (this confuses me, b/c I thought 3.0 was decrypted awhile ago...) than this could be used on OE, without losing icons. Hold on, I'll find the link so you guys can read for yourselves.

EDIT: OK, here's the release thread. So yes, this has been done on OE firmware, but like I said, you'll be missing some icons.

CUSTOM ICONS WIP/RELEASE THREAD (http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-xmb-icon-hacking-77877/page36.html)

acn010
December 29th, 2006, 17:26
I just read 20+ pages about this on QJ. And from what I understand:

This was originally made for 1.5. People have been using 2.5 top_menu.rco files to flash this on OE firmware... But if you do, there will be some missing icons on your XMB. :(

When, and if they can decrypt the 3.0 top_menu (this confuses me, b/c I thought 3.0 was decrypted awhile ago...) than this could be used on OE, without losing icons. Hold on, I'll find the link so you guys can read for yourselves.

EDIT: OK, here's the release thread. So yes, this has been done on OE firmware, but like I said, you'll be missing some icons.

CUSTOM ICONS WIP/RELEASE THREAD (http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-xmb-icon-hacking-77877/page36.html)

so this means that it will work but icons will be missing?

Mr. Shizzy
December 29th, 2006, 17:33
Yes. People have reported getting working on OE firmwarwe. (With some missing XMB icons of course)
If someone ever manages to get this working on 3.02 OE-B (with all icons) I would be in heaven. :D This could potentialy take my theme making to a whole new level. :D

Imagine the possibilities...

BTW: A dev named DarkStone is looking into more OE compatibiltiy with this hack. :)

acn010
December 29th, 2006, 17:45
people are giving a try to this, even me ha ha ha,
i just dont want to brick my psp

cal360
December 29th, 2006, 17:50
lets hope that potentially this can go further

The_Ultimate_Eggman
December 29th, 2006, 18:55
Found these they look sweet...Would be nice if it was 302 OE-A/B compatible then we can have some great custom theme packs.

kiore
December 29th, 2006, 19:23
Would these themes ,,,,if they were possable on OE take up valuable room in flash or could they be stored on ms

cloud_952
December 29th, 2006, 19:38
Seeing as they overwrite the previous images and there are obvious size limitations, I don't imagine they'd take up more space than the originals did, so.. no, it wouldn't "take up valuable room in flash".

I assure you, you do not want your XMB icons on your MS. O_o People greatly overestimate read speeds of the MS..

kiore
December 29th, 2006, 19:56
Seeing as they overwrite the previous images and there are obvious size limitations, I don't imagine they'd take up more space than the originals did, so.. no, it wouldn't "take up valuable room in flash".

I assure you, you do not want your XMB icons on your MS. O_o People greatly overestimate read speeds of the MS..

So I'm guessing this rules out a Undo feature then.

acn010
December 29th, 2006, 19:58
so many people transfered to OE. i wish eople should start wrking on it

Mr. Shizzy
December 29th, 2006, 19:59
If you do this and don't like it. people have claimed they restored there XMB's with a backed up top_menu.rco and PSPfiler.

kiore
December 29th, 2006, 20:10
All good then, Just clearing up my own curious mind which also may help someone else reading this forum.

emuking
December 29th, 2006, 23:49
its sad how qj is ahead of this site in news now, oh well we can always copy and paste,oh wait never mind we just did :)

gamerremag
December 30th, 2006, 00:23
can...you...change....them...to...ANYTHING?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!

thats so Kool with a capital K

mnuhaily22
December 30th, 2006, 06:34
Down at PSP Hacks people are mad cause this bricked there PSP, so just make sure you follow ALL the instructions carefully.

TacticalBread
December 30th, 2006, 07:10
This is amazing! :D

I always thought about stuff like this, but I never thought it possible.

Hope it works for 3.02 OE soon. :D

alamosh
December 30th, 2006, 13:17
Well, I have done this already... It is amazing.

There's no real danger of bricking your PSP if you use the correct files and are using some kind of Custom Firmware... I'm using 3.02OE-B and everything went flawlessly. As with everything, you just need to follow instructions carefully.

Anyway, here's my Custom XMB Icon modification:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/alamosh/alamoshspsp.jpg

Thanks to everyone who made this possible.

Vibestar
December 30th, 2006, 15:04
I don't understand this. It's obvious there are some part of png files in the top menu.rco. So why do we have to make bmp's. They have no blending and never will get smooth???

Squidman
December 31st, 2006, 00:29

There's no real danger of bricking your PSP if you use the correct files and are using some kind of Custom Firmware... I'm using 3.02OE-B and everything went flawlessly. As with everything, you just need to follow instructions carefully.

COOL!.....what font is that? looks really nice

sok98
December 31st, 2006, 00:42
wow thats sick alamosh! can u pm me the icons u used to make that :P

TacticalBread
December 31st, 2006, 01:26

Did you get icons for Network and what not?

or only for those five?

Psphreak
December 31st, 2006, 01:58
There are 3 icons that aren't "there" after flashing with the custom icons. I have a 3.02 OE-B and flashed no problems. The icons aren't that important anyways, they are the PSP Camera, Certificate icon, and some other icon in the settings section.

TacticalBread
December 31st, 2006, 02:07
I flashed it and it bricked. Yay for recovery mode.

I'll just wait for an official version, for 3.02 OE.

alamosh
December 31st, 2006, 09:52
Did you get icons for Network and what not?

or only for those five?

Yeah, I got the icons for the main stuff... There are only 3 missing. This is because we are using a topmenu_plugin from 2.5 fw.

TacticalBread
December 31st, 2006, 10:31
Yeah, I got the icons for the main stuff... There are only 3 missing. This is because we are using a topmenu_plugin from 2.5 fw.

Would you mind posting your topmenu_plugin?

I want to try this out without using the lame default ones.

kgsws
December 31st, 2006, 20:19
it is not in lua ! i newer create something in lua ... pls fix it

on this page is version for 3.02
http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-xmb-icon-hacking-77877/page70.html

D0N
December 31st, 2006, 22:51
Do any icons disappear for 3.02 now?

RomComZom
January 2nd, 2007, 20:08
On 3.02oe-B, Got X-Flash18g, flashed topmenu_plugin.rco with one someone esle made. Works fine. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/romcomzom/Misc/video1.gif

.:PSP1.0:.
January 2nd, 2007, 23:39
Hey guys here is my current menu screen.. With a bit of help from the boys over at PSPHACKS i was able make this lol Thanks to all at PSPHACK for your help BG (SHADOW), FONTS and tuts :thumbup:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/boy_integra/screen1.jpg

blacsupaman3
January 3rd, 2007, 04:47

Hey guys here is my current menu screen.. With a bit of help from the boys over at PSPHACKS i was able make this lol Thanks to all at PSPHACK for your help BG (SHADOW), FONTS and tuts :thumbup:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/boy_integra/screen1.jpg

I THINK BOTH OF THESE ICONS ARE HOT AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS WOULD MIND PM'ing ME THE LINKS AND LETTING ME KNOW HOW TO INSTALL/FLASH THEM TO MY PSP FIRMWARE 3.02 OE-B.... I really wanna give this a try..... THANKS IN ADVANCE AND KEEP UP THE WORK...

zidanerick
January 3rd, 2007, 04:56
I THINK BOTH OF THESE ICONS ARE HOT AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS WOULD MIND PM'ing ME THE LINKS AND LETTING ME KNOW HOW TO INSTALL/FLASH THEM TO MY PSP FIRMWARE 3.02 OE-B.... I really wanna give this a try..... THANKS IN ADVANCE AND KEEP UP THE WORK...

Do you have to use caps??

blacsupaman3
January 3rd, 2007, 05:02
Do you have to use caps??

My bad its just a habit I have when I type...... Really doesn't mean anything..... And this wasn't the response I was hoping for....

RomComZom
January 3rd, 2007, 23:06
How do you keep the transparent background? i make an Icon in photoshop, save as bmp and indexed and all that stuff. when saved it still has a white background. open in Paintbrush to save as 256 and it still has background.

.:PSP1.0:.
January 3rd, 2007, 23:34
^^ Have you tried to save it onto i think a black background? Not sure but from what ive read it needs to be save onto a black ground to get the transparent look..

vision
January 4th, 2007, 06:06
How do you keep the transparent background? i make an Icon in photoshop, save as bmp and indexed and all that stuff. when saved it still has a white background. open in Paintbrush to save as 256 and it still has background.

you have to save it a png with out a background

also could you please pm me those gold icons they look good

RomComZom
January 10th, 2007, 16:54
Ok well..it was the black background. Thanks for the help. Made some Glyphs from the movie Blade for icons.http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/romcomzom/Misc/glyphsicon.jpg