PDA

View Full Version : My PSP is bricked! :(.

IronX
December 29th, 2006, 23:40
As this is no longer about problem with new memory sticks, I move my new problem to this one.

Arghh!

I bricked my psp! .

I couldn't get the stuff to work on my new 4gig memory stick so I downgraded to 1.5 and it worked perfectly, then I added some movies, homebrews, images etc and tried them... it all worked perfectly now.

Then I wanted to upgrade again.. so I used this tutorial to the letter: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46769

I made the dump, moved it to the 302oeflasher map and ran the updater.... pressed X and it began to update... then all of a sudden the screen goes blank and the psp shuts of.. when I turn it on.. nothing happens..... a black screen, the memory stick loader led thingy blinks 3 times and I hear a short sound from the psp (it's the cd).... and this repeats itself..... I can enter the recoverey menu pressing R when starting the psp (also from the black screen where it hangs), but it wont load the recovery stuff (when trying to load, it's the same thing again).... it's installed on it.. all the necessary files... I used the usb connect and it's all fine.. but it wont launch the recovery thingy..!!

any suggestions????

Not saying that there is anything wrong with the tutorial I used.... I guess I was just unlucky... I'm very careful when doing something like this and take my time.... I'm sure I did everything right.

edit: and I can't send it to sony as I have modded it (opened it up and installed new colored buttons).

ExcruciationX
December 29th, 2006, 23:45
Sorry to here that...

Can you load the 1.50 update through recovery mode?

IronX
December 29th, 2006, 23:54
Nope, that's what I'm saying, I can get to the recovery menu, but when starting the recovery thingy (has the text of PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/etc.... it just goes black and nothing happens. The same thing when starting the PSP.... black.

The PSP is turned on and the screen is activated (can see that cause it's a bit led up), but it's black.... I removed the umd disc and the memory stick.... nothing... black... weird that I can get to the recovery menu.. but it will not execute the 1.50 update recovery thingy..... I can read the memory stick on my psp using the "connect usb" in the recovery menu.... but that's to no help.

EvilDooinz
December 30th, 2006, 00:59
should have used a 2 gig or less ms 1.5 kernel dosent have 4 gig ms support

Russoxley187
December 30th, 2006, 01:26

WOW, I don't think alot of ppl know that

gamerremag
December 30th, 2006, 02:04
cant you just put all the stuff on the 32mb that you hav, then use it to recover?

englishrick
December 30th, 2006, 02:05
So you can't use a 4gb stick with 3.02 OE-B?????

gamerremag
December 30th, 2006, 02:11
no you can, long as you use the 3.02 kernal

XioN980
December 30th, 2006, 02:11
Im pretty sure just Sony's one ironically, The sandisk one works fine........

englishrick
December 30th, 2006, 02:12
So how do I know Im using 3.02 kernal???

Napalm-Death
December 30th, 2006, 02:30
no you can, long as you use the 3.02 kernal

I'm using my new 4GB on 1.5 kernel with no problems.:D

gamerremag
December 30th, 2006, 02:49
o, well its was something to try...its not like it can hurt it

JD/
December 30th, 2006, 03:49
Erm get an original recovery folder (download from somewhere) then put in a 1.5 update into the folder but name the 1.50 update "update" (without quotation marks) so it doesn't overwrite the original recovery eboot. Then start the recovery eboot in the recovery menu and it should work hopefully.

sok98
December 30th, 2006, 04:31
how is he even getting to recovery mode lol like if it bricked before he got to 3.02 oe shouldnt the recovery mode not be installed?

mnuhaily22
December 30th, 2006, 04:36
Sorry to hear that, is it a ta-082 mobo??? If not, just get U.P installed.

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 08:01
I have already tried to run the 1.5 recovery with my other 2 ms, it just won't run anything from any ms.

When it was flashing, it came to the 3.02 like halfway when the psp shut off... guess the recovery function was copied to the flash, that's why I can start it..... but still.... it will not run anything from any ms.

The thing is, I could install the 3.02 propperly in 2.71SE-C..... but it still didn't want to read my stuff on my new ms, only some video files... so I downgraded to 1.5 and everything ran fine on my new 4gb ms..... so now when everything could be run, I upgraded again to 3.02... and it came to like 70% and shut off.... so it can't be that kernel or whatever it is doesn't like 4gb sticks, because the updater could read the 150.pbp all the way, but stopped at like half the way through 302.pbp.

I have read somewhere that there's a guy here on the forum that can fix bricked psps?..... is that true?... I'll send mine over to him if that's the case.

ExcruciationX
December 30th, 2006, 09:26
Can you run ANY updates at all? Maybe if you could get an exploitable one to work, you could then downgrade from it.

I've never heard of the 3.02 OE-A installation going bad before, did you make the files yourself? If you want to upgrade back after you get everything working again, you can use my video tut, and my pack.

I got a 4GB memory stick for Christmas too, and it runs fine on 3.02 OE-A.

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 11:17
I don't think it has anything to do with the memory stick.... and I can't run anything because my psp is bricked and refuse to run anything from any ms. All I can do is open the recover menu with the R button, that's it.. nothing else.

I have tried all the settings in the recover menu, nothing makes it run anything.... all that happens if I have a ms inserted is that it blinks 3 times, delay for 2 sec, blink 3 times, delay for 3 sec.... loop.. that's all.... I have tried everything :(.

My case is probably an unlucky one (fist case of brick from a 302 update)... as I did exactly what should be done and the firmware updater went fine... til it reached to like 50-70% of the final 302.pbp and then it shut off.

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 11:28
Was your battery charged though

Hold on you can reach the reovery menu

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 11:38
Yeah, it was fully charged and the battery charger was plugged in.. I know what I'm doing... I'm very careful.

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 11:38
can you reach the recovery menu

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 11:40
The updater finished the 1.5 thingy, then it came to 50-70% of thr 302 and shut off... so seem like the recovery menu made it into the flash.... but not all neccessary files to make it run anything from the ms from the recovery menu.

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 11:41
can you reach the recovery menu

Yup, I can reach/enter the recovery menu... been saying that now like 3+ times :).

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 11:46
So why dont you run the 1.5 updater from the recovery menu

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 11:54
Ok, the situation (again) more detailed (not that I think anyone can solve this for me, but worth a try).

1. Had 2.71SE-C. Got a new memory card (4gb), moved all my files from the old ms to my new one. Now it won't display the files. I reformatted my new stick, installed dh called 51 something, now I could see movies on my new ms, but all the other icons in games, phtotos etc have corrupted icons..... I tried more and more and all ways I knew.... could'nt get it to work, not even my older ms worked. the only ms that worked was the one I had before my new 4gb ms... etc etc etc... blabla..

2. I decided to upgrade to 3.02oe using the tutorial mentioned. It worked fine, I now had 3.02oe-a... but still the icons and stuff was shown as corrupt and nothing would run, only the movies. So I downgraded to 1.5 using the recovery menu.

3. I now had 1.5 and everything worked on my new 4gb ms (yay). So I upgraded to 3.02oe again using the same tutorial (as in my first post in this thread). I made the data file from the 105 and 302, then started the upgrader.. the upgrader came to like 50-70% in the final step and then the PSP shut off.

What's happening now and what I can do:

1. All that happens now when I start my psp (with a ms inserted) is that the ms-loading-led-indicator thingy blinks 3 times, then nothing for 2 sec, then blinks 3 times again and keep looping.. the umd is spinning, then stopping, then spinning (weird sound).... this is all that happens. If I remove the ms, the loading indicator doesn't blink anymore, only the cd is heard.

2. I can whenever I want enter the recovery menu by pressing the R button... but from there it wont execute the 1.5 recovery located on my ms, or any of the other ms I have.... all that happens when trying to run the 1.5 recovery (psp/game/recovery....) is that it goes black and the indicator starts blinking again and it's the same as if I start the psp.....

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 11:55
So why dont you run the 1.5 updater from the recovery menu

Because when I do, nothing happens.... the led just blinks 3 times, with a pause over and over again.

All I can do is enter the recovery menu.... I can't do ANYTHING else, not start the 1.5 recovery, nothing.... it just goes black.

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 12:00
Are you postive that you have the recovery all installed properly with the 1.50 eboot in there

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 12:05
Yup, all files are there in their correct places. I have even tried putting a copy in game150, and even tried putting the content in /PSP/BOOT/ because there is an option to autorun from there aswell.

The ms behaves the same way when starting the psp doing nothing, as when running the 1.5 recovery..... the psp and the recvoery menu just does not seem to want to run anything from the ms, nor the umd..... if it could run from the umd, I could maybe have burned the 1.5 files on a disc and run it from there.. but nope... nothing runs, only the recovery menu.

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 12:08
hmmm try activate usb mode.Then install the recovery menu again using the automatic installer

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 12:16
hmmm try activate usb mode.Then install the recovery menu again using the automatic installer

Already tried that also :(.

the usb mode works and stuff, but nothing is different if I reinstall the recovery with the automatic installer.... even if usb wouldn't work, I got a card reader for my psp.....

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 12:27
This is the last thing i can think of

Instead of using the 1.50 eboot in the recovery try another eboot Eg:2.00

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 12:34
Can you give me a link to the automatic installer?

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 12:38
Try this HERE (http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about58369.html)

You want the installer for 1.5 users then install the recovery option

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 12:45
That's the one I used.. didn't work...

nothing will execute from any ms.

So... is there anyone that can fix a psp? I'll send it to you.

dejkirkby
December 30th, 2006, 12:49
Look up MikeDX or S34MU5.

superjutah
December 30th, 2006, 12:58
This guy is absolutley right!
I have done the exact thing on my PSP and my screen just turns blank!

I used the 3.02OE-B update after using 3.02OE-A for a few days perfectly fine! But after I installed 3.02 OE-B My PSP screen started going black everytime I tried to load up a game via UMD!

It works fine on my Bro's PSP though which is INCREDIBLY irritating!

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 13:05
^ ^
Does your PSP switch on

dejkirkby
December 30th, 2006, 13:07
But if you have been using 3.02OE-A you should be able to use the recovery mode properly.

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 13:10
Yeh as OE B only writed over a few files

gamerremag
December 30th, 2006, 14:56
IronX, did you say you were at 3.02oe-a then upgrade to oe-b? or was it 2.71Se-c?

^if it was 2.71 then try using that recovery mode

psp_sfdm
December 30th, 2006, 15:01
IronX, did you say you were at 3.02oe-a then upgrade to oe-b? or was it 2.71Se-c?

IronX outlined the steps in page 3 of this thread.

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 15:41
I was first on 2.71se-c and upgraded to 3.02oe-a, then to 3.02oe-b.... then downgraded to 1.5 and upgraded back to 3.02oe-a, and during the upgrading to 3.02oe-a it crashed.

PSPCulture
December 30th, 2006, 15:54

I've been using a Sandisk 4GB Memory Stick since September, had no trouble at all using it with my 1.5 PSP, and no problems using it when I upgraded to 3.02OE-B a few days ago.

The thing is, I could install the 3.02 propperly in 2.71SE-C..... but it still didn't want to read my stuff on my new ms, only some video files... so I downgraded to 1.5 and everything ran fine on my new 4gb ms..... so now when everything could be run, I upgraded again to 3.02... and it came to like 70% and shut off.... so it can't be that kernel or whatever it is doesn't like 4gb sticks, because the updater could read the 150.pbp all the way, but stopped at like half the way through 302.pbp.

So you successfully installed 3.02OE from 2.71SE-C, but had problems with that version reading your memory stick. You downgraded from 3.02OE to 1.5 and everything was then working ok. You then upgraded from 1.5 to 3.02OE and it failed part way through?

Does this mean there is an issue with going

2.71SE-C --> 3.02OE --> 1.5 --> 3.02OE?

Hope you manage to get something sorted.....

pt9087
December 30th, 2006, 16:04
Have you ever thought about how much flash space you have... how long have you had your psp? do flash your psp alot?

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 16:19
My psp was originally a 2.1. I first used 2.1 to 1.5 downgrader, then upped to 2.71, then 2.71... then 3.02oe-a, then 3.02oe-b, then 1.5, then 3.02oea CRASH!... yeye :).

I have put it on a shelf.... don't know what to do with it now....

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 16:21
Have you ever thought about how much flash space you have... how long have you had your psp? do flash your psp alot?

doesn't the updaters format the flash when installing?... well, think some do... anyway, it said in my previous update that it was formatting flash0 or something... donno..

splodger15
December 30th, 2006, 16:22
All updaters format the flash

dejkirkby
December 30th, 2006, 16:30
From reading all the thread it really sounds like you have got a corrupted 1.50 bootstrap, obviously caused by the power cut whilst upgrading.
Sorry dude, I think it's bricked.

pt9087
December 30th, 2006, 16:39
lol, i dint read all of the posts. too many, Dude! i think ur psp maybe bricked, Sorry!

IronX
December 30th, 2006, 16:47
I know it's bricked :( (was just hoping for maybe a solution, as the recover menu works, but that's all).... and shouldn't have happened as I had a fully charged battery and the power cord inserted. I also follow the tutorial to the letter, like I did before when it worked.

I guess it's one of those moments when something just "hangs" till the psp shuts off.. that's what happened I think.