PDA

View Full Version : New Project: ATXbox (75% complete!)

Mr_Biggs
December 30th, 2006, 18:39
Check this out:
What happens when you take a busted-ass eMachine PC, gut it, and stick an Xbox inside? You get the ATXbox!

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1378/atxboxwl2.png

I got real bored this christmas weekend, so i got online and looked at all the case mods out there for xbox. they're ok, but i wanted something a little more pimpin than that. so i went into my garage and pulled out an old eMachine that died mysteriously on Monday the 13th. As a a sidenote, my 27 inch tv died the same day...

Anywho, i ripped out the mobo, harddisk, drives, PSU, and other thing until i had a giant aluminum case. then i opened up my xbox, gutted it, and played with the parts in the ATX case, to find a good position. a lot of the cables, well, ALL of the cables were too short for my setup. so, i spent two days lengthening the DVD-drive power cable, the power supply cable, and both controller port pairs.

to make my drive look like it went with this case, i ripped off the front of the eMachine DVD drive, and for now, it lies duct-taped to the drive. The eject button hangs outside the case for now, until i decide to mount one on the xbox drive.

For the ports, i mounted them in the second drive bay, using the hull and faceplate of a lifeless cd burner.this is temporary though....

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2686/faceplatebz2.png

i took the xbox faceplate, and chopped off the port faceplate. i then bondo-ed them together. i'm gonna sand it down so it looks like one solid piece, cut it down to size, then give it and everything else a new silver paint job.

Left to do:
Fill in the floppy drive hole
Attach a 2nd fan to the fan port in the back for extra cooling
Make aluminum plates to cover up the holes in the back, left by the power supply and motherboard ports.
Paint this thing up
Install the stock USB, Headphone and keyboard/mouse ports
And possibly make the top clear, to see the spinning disk

And there is one more thing. the hard disk from the eMachine is a 111 GB drive. i want this thing for my box. i'd like to softmod this thing so i can unlock my xbox's capabilities, but i cant b/c i cant get an action replay, nor do i know anyone who can ftp a save exploit to a memcard or usb stick. so here's the deal. i am willing to send my 32 MB usb stick to anyone in the states who can ftp the exploit to their xbox, then copy it back onto the stick through a usb adapter(im not too keen on it, but i'll send mine if it comes down to it.) then you can send it back to me with a prepaid shipping label. as payment, i can send a minidvd loaded with software, or i could make a usb adapter for this person. email me at [email protected] for help with this.

In total, i've devoted 4 days to this project so far.

Thanks all!

ExcruciationX
December 30th, 2006, 19:11
Pretty cool, dude! :D

zidanerick
December 30th, 2006, 22:03
Goodjob and btw u can just use the hotswap method to softmod it, i use that method for all my softmodding.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263 << that should help you out

Mr_Biggs
December 31st, 2006, 00:54
thanks for comments, guys. im gonna do that hotswap right quick, hold on to your butts...

BrooksyX
January 1st, 2007, 09:34
Yeah I was planning on doing this to my xbox since its already softmodded but my little brothers play it and I just got a 360 so I am busy playing with that. I am trying to get my hands on a fixable xbox for free, if I do I am planning on modding the crap out of it.

Make sure to back up your hdd eeprom or you will have to install a modchip.

Mr_Biggs
January 5th, 2007, 22:15
It's been almost a week since any work has been done on my ATXbox, thaks to zidanerick :D i got this thing modded and loaded with emulators, ports of games and a money-saving DVD player app. but, once again, im having problems. i can't properly configure my 120GB WB1200(i was told these are lockable) through xboxhdm. it's a bios issue on my pc. so i tried to format the new drive, by installing it in my box, and attempting to boot a modified evox build for new hard disks. the disk wont boot, because my softmodded v.1.6 xbox cant boot a disk without a proper harddisk. so, is there someone in the US, who owns a modchipped xbox, that could help? i was thinking i could send this person the HDD, with a disk containing my eeprom and other files. i would pay for shipping both ways, and if the person in question likes, i can send "software" as payment.

But back to the ATXbox. ive mounted the eject button onto the DVD drive, i still need to properly mount the faceplate. im working on mounting the controller ports properly, and once i get a usb kbd and mouse, i'll wire up the front usb ports.

Left to do:
Wire a HDD-Activity light
Install USB ports
Fill the floppy port with bondo
Take pictures when this thing looks better
Determine if i wanna make my DVD drive top see-through
CHROME the front(or spraypaint silver, idk)
Cover up holes in back, possibly leaving holes for a VGA port
and finally:
Make a game case tray in the back, where the PSU was.

Thanks for watching!

BrooksyX
January 6th, 2007, 00:17
Your HDD wont boot because you probably didnt extract your xbox eeprom and sign your hdd with it. If you soft mod your xbox you have to extract the eeprom with a program then put it in the xboxhmd image you are going to burn. The only way around this is a modchip.

Mr_Biggs
January 6th, 2007, 01:35
Ive done all that youve described. my request for help still stands.

Mr_Biggs
January 7th, 2007, 01:33
Sorry ppl, but ive killed my request for help. i went to a friend's house and used his computer to lock my new harddisk, so now i have a phat 120 GB HDD in my ATXbox. Happy Happy!

xboxmodz
May 3rd, 2007, 22:38
Lol, dude, thats the exact same computer i am using right now. ;o