PDA

View Full Version : Installing Mod chip on Brick - will it work?

aleoks
January 2nd, 2007, 04:55
Hi! My PSP is a Brick. After i was trying to install
3.02OE-A on 1.5, it freeze on 8% then turn OFF, then all i can get from it is just a green light for 20 sec. - "symptom" knowing as a Brick:p So, i was thinking what is better - get new motherboard or mod chip? I know its not easy to install (mod chip) bat i can do it:cool: The question is, will it work on brick? and if it does, will it posoble to unbricked?

zidanerick
January 2nd, 2007, 05:55
have u tried holding down the R button on bootup?

aleoks
January 2nd, 2007, 06:04
Yep!
Thanks for the tip anyway!

hodgy47
January 2nd, 2007, 07:40
Yes you can unbrick so long as you use the Undiluted platinum chip you can also re-flash the psp's own flash mem again with the UP chip installed, A motherboard is the best idea but with a mod chip being 50% cheaper the mod chip looks like the winner, hope this helps (plus with chip installed you can use sonys official upgrades on your psp and custom firmware on your chip)

aleoks
January 2nd, 2007, 17:06
Thanks! I was just wondering, if there no power to motherboard (no boot) will the mod chip work correctly?

hodgy47
January 2nd, 2007, 17:38
Thanks! I was just wondering, if there no power to motherboard (no boot) will the mod chip work correctly? Provided that you have the green power light coming then you have power to motherboard the problem with a bricked psp is that the flash memory has been corrupted hence that you have no boot cos it cant find anything to boot from the UP chip provides an alternative flash memory to boot from meaning that once booted you can access the corrupt flash and re-flash with a clean firmware resulting in an un-bricked psp.

aleoks
January 2nd, 2007, 20:40
OK! Will go with mod chip! One more question... Can I use it on more then one psp? (I got another unit with 2.6 as backup, it works, bat who knows for how long :) )

splodger15
January 2nd, 2007, 20:53
No because you have to install the modchip into the PSP

eatnooM
January 3rd, 2007, 01:25
O.o

Forgive me for assuming that once the flash has been written again, it would be possible to remove the modchip (fiddly though it may be) and use it on another psp.

mavsman4457
January 3rd, 2007, 01:44
O.o

Forgive me for assuming that once the flash has been written again, it would be possible to remove the modchip (fiddly though it may be) and use it on another psp.

That is very possible but you've got to be or find an expert to do that. It ain't easy.

Zargon
January 3rd, 2007, 01:50
soldering and desoldering is fun and all, but I would recommend just leaving the modchip where it is.

aleoks
January 3rd, 2007, 01:57
Well... I figure it goes INSIDE the PSP :) , and by the logic it can came out the same way it was installed (after unbricking), I'm almost sure the PSP will work, bat question if mod chip will?

belialone
January 3rd, 2007, 11:58
yes you can install the modchip to flash your psp alive again and then remove the chip to install it on a different psp but its very tricky
you should whatch the video on http://www.psphacking101.com/
the guys bricked two psps on the way installing the chip

if youre good at what you are doing try it
otherwise send it to a modding company
or try out your warranty
or buy a new one and return the bricked one on the new warranty

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2007, 12:04
If you install a modchip in a PSP, the best thing is just to leave it in there. Besides if you bricked it again, the flash memory can be restored in a snap. Also you could have two firmwares on your PSP; on on the main NAND flash and the other on the modchip. I would do that if I could get it.

belialone
January 3rd, 2007, 12:22
i too recommend that you keep the chip inside the psp once you made it

its hard work to get it in and even harder to remove

hodgy47
January 3rd, 2007, 12:32
That is very possible but you've got to be or find an expert to do that. It ain't easy.
Yes The UP chip can be used as de-bricking tool but not really advisable as during the install one the solder tracks on psp mobo has to have a piece removed which would mean having to bridge it once done

eatnooM
January 3rd, 2007, 17:11
Figured it wouldn't be easy at all, just thought it would be nice to clarify to aleoks that it's not impossible to use it as an unbricker, just ungodly awkward :)