PDA

View Full Version : PSX games freeze on my psp...help plz!

AlexRowbottom
January 2nd, 2007, 16:55
Hi,

Like the title says, when im running PSX games on my OE-B psp it likes to freeze at certain places and then restart my psp. For example, on final fantasy 8 i am 2 hours into it, saved just before a boss fight. In the middle of this boss fight it suddenly freezes and restarts my psp so i cant get past it.

This is the same for lots of my other psx games, they just freeze at certain points. I have also seen some graphical glitches in them, like the occasional flashing texture and stuff..maybe this is something to do with it?

Anyone know how i could fix it? By maybe reinstalling my firmware or something? (if its even possible), or is my psp just buggered up

Please help I would love to play my psx games on my psp!

Thanks, and happy new year :)

(btw, its definatly not the game files that are the problem, because loads of other people have exactly the same thing, and it works on their psp.

jak66
January 2nd, 2007, 17:02
maybe it is the isos, if you have a bad dump (possible some files in the iso are corrupt or missing) then that could be the problem.

to reinstall OE, make the dxar file (if you didnt keep the first) then copy the oeflasher with dxar file and OEBupdate into th game150 folder and run from xmb

hodgy47
January 2nd, 2007, 17:58
You will also get more playable games if they are in NTSC format as PAL standard is very unstable so if they are in PAL use a PAL to NTSC converter and try running them again.

AlexRowbottom
January 3rd, 2007, 10:51
ok, i have tried lots of other psx games just now and they all have the same problem (they are all NTSC btw). I have also tried reinstalling the firmware.

hodgy47
January 3rd, 2007, 12:38
ok, i have tried lots of other psx games just now and they all have the same problem (they are all NTSC btw). I have also tried reinstalling the firmware.
Do you have any way of altering the cpu speed in the psp it may running at wrong speed for games

AlexRowbottom
January 3rd, 2007, 13:38
i thought about that, but i cant seem to do it. when i boot up my psp with the r button pressed and go on 'CPU speed' is says 'not yet' and i cant adjust it. dunno what that means.

michael_dack_2005
January 3rd, 2007, 14:23
AlexRowbottom, use CWCheat for POPs rev E to overclock POPS, there is a thread open in the PSP emulation forum, made by g00gy i think.

EDIT: o yeah, i have the same trouble with Spyro 2 and 3, i have tried it with PAL and NTSC, i have tried o/c the psp, and they always freeze wenevr it saves after entering a new world

AlexRowbottom
January 3rd, 2007, 16:13
tryed overclocking it using that thingy, but still doesnt work =(

AlexRowbottom
January 5th, 2007, 16:01
anyone have any ideas?

thavagrant
January 5th, 2007, 19:20
Im having the same prob with FF 8
It just seems tobe crashing at certain actions, like zell's "Burning Rave" or Selphie's "Full Cure" limit break.
I very much hope a patch or something can fix this, coz it's really no fun this way.

pkmusicmaker
January 6th, 2007, 09:10
I'm having the same problem, let's be detailed on when it's happening so we can find a solution.

For me it first froze when I drew a cure from an enemy during the SeeD test mission and casted it instead of stocking. Now it freezes during the boss fight at the top of the tower during the same mission (Elvoret). The difference with this freeze is I can access the Home Menu during the freeze.

I really hope there's a fix for this, cause it's driving me nuts.

windknot
January 7th, 2007, 06:31
I also have PS1 games freezing

Destruction Derby, and Destruction Derby Raw,

both freezing after racing, games run great, but hang here or there.

In the first I have made it thru 5 seasons before freezin

In the second It is just a few races then freezes.

Havent played much FF7 yet, but 10 to 20 mins in and no problems.

xg917
January 7th, 2007, 06:36
PAL version of games?

thavagrant
January 7th, 2007, 09:12
Final fantasy VIII => NTSC
First time it crashed for me was on the tower when fighting elvoret, second time i got passed it by killing it asap, so i didnt use much magic. But then it crashes again at the "black widow" when he does a special attack or i use "burning rave" or some magic.

AlexRowbottom
January 7th, 2007, 09:59
havnt got past the tower boss...keeps freezing

kernelforbin
January 16th, 2007, 06:50
FFVIII (8) also freezes up for me. I've gotten past many of the glitches mentioned earlier.

I am now stuck at the second dream sequence at a place called Centra - Excavation Site. When you control Ward, Laguna, and Kiros. You are running through a set of caves when your party comes to the edge of a cliff and you are suppossed to fight a number of Esthar Soldiers. Well anyways the game freezes after the Esthar Soldiers use an attack called 'Shotgun'. Now I have played this same part about 40 times so far and have found that the game usually freezes the second time the soldiers use shotgun. I have also tried all of the remedies suggested on this message board (overclocking etc.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M Dash
January 16th, 2007, 15:12
Im having those problems has well...

On Crash Bandicoot 2, it still sometimes crashes in the end of the bonus level in level Night Fight (level 23 if not mistaken)

In tomb raider I, in the zone St. Francis Folly, on the BIG room where you have to gatter the 4 gods keys, in the Thor room, sometimes the game crashed... specially when i pressed the select button to go to the inventry screen... And even out of the room, sometimes it crashes when i try to access the inventory...

still, after a few tries, i was able to pass the level...

kernelforbin
January 17th, 2007, 01:45
So I think I may have found a solution for those of you who have been having trouble with FF8 freezing up during battles.

I had mentioned earlier that I was stuck at the same part for quite some time now. I have also noticed that these freezes always happen during a battle, usually when the camera zooms in on the enemy. So I went to the Configuration Menu (in the game, which can be accessed on the normal menu), and set the Camera Movement to 0%. I tried the part I was stuck on and got through it no problem. I then saved it and havent played it any farther, so I don't know if it will work for other freeze points.

So please let me know if this works for anyone and I will continue to play and keep everyone updated as to whether or not it freezes again.

HAPPY GAMING!!!

thavagrant
January 18th, 2007, 14:12
well did what you said and dropped the camera movement to 0%. Then i tried to use zell's "Burning Rave" again but it still crashes.

Gene
January 19th, 2007, 06:14
on final fantasy 8 i've gotten past disc 1 and am right after the Lighthouse Orphanage flashback.

mine freezes when i use draw ALL THE TIME

I was trying to get tonberry king, and i was using my lvl 64 diablos to do 9999 damage each hit thing, until about 9 tonberrys through it froze when i tried to cast curaga on squall. 3 hours of work down the hookah pipe...worst of all you can't save in the odin ruins :'(

i think the freezing might be random but also there are specific areas and commands that cuase crashing.

in some other games i have like "Jade Cacoon" (great game BTW, underated though) it works absolutely fine until i reach a certain corridor, and it freezes(wich sucks because i need to get past it to get to thethe boss in the dragonfly forest.

if anyone can find a way for me to get through that damn corridor i will gladly offer you my soul.

even if it involves using my computer and an emulator other than pops i will do it to get further in the game.

thanks yo.

thavagrant
January 19th, 2007, 12:56
lol you can save when ur trying to get tonberry king, after killing some tonberry's u can go back outside and save the game. The numbers of killed tonberry's wont get reset.

Gene
January 19th, 2007, 15:27
lol you can save when ur trying to get tonberry king, after killing some tonberry's u can go back outside and save the game. The numbers of killed tonberry's wont get reset.

:eek:

i didn't know that! :rofl:

now i can actually get tonberry:)

thank you, that helps more than you can know :D

thavagrant
January 19th, 2007, 22:58
hehe no prob ^^
But i'd rather get a fix though cause like this i wont start playing with the fear that the game might crash randomly.

yjn85
January 23rd, 2007, 16:26
That's true.. Now I cant get Diablos in FF8.. Kinda sad that it will hang half way thru the battle everytime i try to fight Diablos. :(

Gene
January 23rd, 2007, 21:51
damn... i got tonberry and i am up to the part where you fight edea on the last bit of disc 2.
first i kill seifer then draw alexander from edea(occasionally freezes when drawing)

then edea casts Dispel and it always freezes when she casts dispel.

i have done all i can. leveled up squal to 92, diablos to 78 junctioned attack to be 228. and used squalls limit break to try and kill her fast but it is always too late... :(

I'm sad
i can't play any of my games because at the point i am at they keep freezing...

all exept harvest moon back to nature

darthclone
January 24th, 2007, 00:13
i have megaman legends and i cant get passed the part where its after i get the red refracter shard and i have to go to the forest its way to anyoing this screren comes up like the matrix with numbers and stuff

yjn85
January 24th, 2007, 14:04
I think it's a fact that they the PSP will hang when we are playing PSX games, but is there any solution to it?
Probably dark-alex can help? :)

thavagrant
January 25th, 2007, 21:33
By this I can confirm the final fantasy 8 crashes did not get fixed with the new 3.03 Oe-c release. Too bad :/

yjn85
February 7th, 2007, 13:14
Even on 3.10 OE-A FF8 is stil crashing :(

wisebrownmonkey
February 9th, 2007, 15:58
Front mission 3 does the same thing. Crashes randomly in a fight scene. I think it was after a ablity was used. -on 3.10oe-a

veneamin
February 18th, 2007, 19:24
NTSC version of FF8, disc1.
303oe, and 310oe-a2 now, 1.5, Jap
(tried 222mhz and 333mhz)

As it comes out after few days of testing it -
the game freezes not 'on XXX boss', but when A) you use a lot of magic in one battle B) using of Esuna or Haste or other higher status-change spells 90% chance of freezing - especially on tough enemies - who themselves use different magic.

Typical hard-to-pass scenario events so far - 1) beating the Boss on that tower - that birdie casts spells a lot - so it's typical - get Siren GF and kill it. 2) Laguna and team on the cliff - those soldiers that come one after another - the last two - are spell casters so it's typical not to use more than 2 magics and preferably just a couple of GFs. 3) Getting Brothers GF - those suckers cast whollota magic - so i had to get really pumped up to kill them quick - mostly Quizacotle, Siren, and one strong attacking guy. 4) NOW STUCK - it freezes on video in the end of Disk 1 - after Edea tell she'll be the new Ruler - it starts showing video, then freezes - continuing to play music - this has no workaround and it sucks. - But - the guy who told he's on disc 2 - gave hope.

Repacking xmb with different compressors didn't help (Popstation 2.8, 3beta) with or without compression. - does not help

Solution:
If, in one (any) battle, magic is not used or drawed - or is limited to one or two spells or GFs - game works fine. Pain in the ass, but it works.

Has not found a workaround yet. - looks like some memory leak or buffer overload (sound, graphic or smth else) when many magic spells are casted often/ at the same time or on status change of an enemy or character.

Can't get passed the FMV in the end of disc 1.

Anyone who finds solution - please submit!

thavagrant
May 11th, 2007, 12:51
The solution has finally been found.

Just change the game id into SLPS-01222 and it'll be 100% crash free. The downside is that it will now have slowdowns at start of battles and when entering some areas. Nevertheless this is definatly a worthy fix.

Gene
May 13th, 2007, 07:14
I have managed to beat final fantasy 8 on psp up until just after I got bahaumut GF. I only have eden left to get. I am at the part where I have to get onto the Lunatic pandora with Ragnorock, on the third disc. BTW i did it all even though it was crashing constantly.

now that there is a fix I can finally enjoy this game. Along with my life...

reaper89
December 20th, 2007, 03:34
So I think I may have found a solution for those of you who have been having trouble with FF8 freezing up during battles.

I had mentioned earlier that I was stuck at the same part for quite some time now. I have also noticed that these freezes always happen during a battle, usually when the camera zooms in on the enemy. So I went to the Configuration Menu (in the game, which can be accessed on the normal menu), and set the Camera Movement to 0%. I tried the part I was stuck on and got through it no problem. I then saved it and havent played it any farther, so I don't know if it will work for other freeze points.

So please let me know if this works for anyone and I will continue to play and keep everyone updated as to whether or not it freezes again.

HAPPY GAMING!!!

i was hoopin that that would work but it still freezes on me in battle and sometimes in boss battles

reaper89
December 20th, 2007, 03:46
Even on 3.10 OE-A FF8 is stil crashing :(

it even crashes on custom firmwere 3.40 final fantasy 8 still freezes in battle.

IcyCool
January 9th, 2008, 05:40
Is there a way to make my save from the original FF8 SLUS number work with 01222? I'd really rather not start over again seeing as how I'm already up to (and stuck in) the second Laguna memory flashback.

jacob_id
February 1st, 2008, 22:03
i am having the same problem i have Final Fantasy VIII on CD1 and everytime i fight iguion x2 when i draw or they breath fire on me it freezes.
i'm running 3.80 m33-5 Firmware,
can anybody help me:confused: