PDA

View Full Version : Is my PSP Dead? It wont start!!!

ultimateangling
January 2nd, 2007, 20:49
Hi Guys

Can anyone help. I did a firmware downgrade from 2.71 to 1.5 and my PSP will now not start. I have done this before with no problems so dont know what the problem is.

Now when I start the machine all I get is the green light for about 15 seconds and nothing else. It doesnt start to read a disk or start the operating system.

Is this fixable?

Thanks

Jon

splodger15
January 2nd, 2007, 20:51
You have a bricked PSP

Cloudhunter
January 2nd, 2007, 22:45
You checked what motherboard it is?

By the way, splodger15 you don't really help... Be a bit more verbose.

Cloudhunter

joshisposer
January 2nd, 2007, 23:06
Plug in the ac for like 15 minutes. Then try turning it on with nothing in the psp.

flame0247
January 3rd, 2007, 02:07
dude i wish u the best of luck
a mod chip will unbrick it if im correct

zevende
January 3rd, 2007, 02:44
Likely a brick, as mentioned before. What downgrader were you using and is your PSP's motherboard a Ta-082? (open the UMD drive and check the northeast corner of your PSP's innards, if there is text there, then you have TA-082) There's very little chance of this getting fixed unless you send it in to sony or buy a modchip for a non Ta-082.

Malksta
January 3rd, 2007, 02:53
Does your PSP System switch back off?

ultimateangling
January 3rd, 2007, 06:30
I'll try the turning on after 15mins trick and hope that works.

What is a mod chip?

In answer to Malksta, yes it does switch back off, saying that though it doesnt turn on...

Thanks guys, any more ideas are welcome

dejkirkby
January 3rd, 2007, 06:50
You checked what motherboard it is?

By the way, splodger15 you don't really help... Be a bit more verbose.

Cloudhunter

Are you splodgers cyber stalker? You seem to have a real problem with him. How about if you don't agree with what he says then leave him alone. You are starting to make yourself look obsessed with him.

scottyboynow
January 3rd, 2007, 11:04
Well, Splodger is right anyway it is a brick.
PS. A modchip is bassicaly like a second NAND. Install the modchip. Flash whatever firmware you want. Voila, there you have it then if im correct you can recover youre original flash. But the modchip cost approx £60 then you have to fit it (or get someone else who knows what there dong).

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2007, 11:52
I bricked one of my PSPs (my 3rd, dodgy 2nd-hand one) downgrading from 2.71 to 1.50. I started the downdate and 20 seconds in, the memory stick light stopped and 10 seconds later the screen swiched off. I turned the PSP on again and found I landed up with a brick.

I think what happened was because I forgot to use the one with the bugfix, because that one didn't ruin my other units.

razorak
January 3rd, 2007, 11:57
downgrading/updating or anything to do with modifying the flash is never 100% safe =X

splodger15
January 3rd, 2007, 16:05
Although that downgrader without the bug fix is really hard to get hold of.Where did you get the downgrader from

theguardianpsp
January 3rd, 2007, 23:40
my psp bricked while i was using 3.02 oe b because i used x flash and tried to change font. A blue screen poped up after i start it and says to press o but it lied to me and poped up again... my life story of broken things. hope yours works

mikebeaver
January 4th, 2007, 00:44
my psp bricked while i was using 3.02 oe b because i used x flash and tried to change font. A blue screen poped up after i start it and says to press o but it lied to me and poped up again... my life story of broken things. hope yours works

So from what i gather you are in 3.02 OE and getting a blue screen of death?
I dont want to sound condessending, but try holding the "R" button down when you turn the power on and use the recovery menu, hopefully you can access it and unbrick it.

ultimateangling
January 4th, 2007, 14:06
Thanks for all the info guys.

I used something called Dark Alex DownDater by Xtrusion which was given to me by someone who also sorted me out with some games.

Anyone out there interested in modding my bricked PSP if there is no other way of me fixing it? I dont really want to end up with a lump of plastic.

ultimateangling
January 4th, 2007, 14:11
Likely a brick, as mentioned before. What downgrader were you using and is your PSP's motherboard a Ta-082? (open the UMD drive and check the northeast corner of your PSP's innards, if there is text there, then you have TA-082) There's very little chance of this getting fixed unless you send it in to sony or buy a modchip for a non Ta-082.
Hi mate. I checked and its not a TA-082 (there is nothing written on the inside of the UMD drive)

Thanks

ultimateangling
January 4th, 2007, 14:13
Does your PSP System switch back off?

Hi Mate, it doesnt actually turn on.

Cloudhunter
January 4th, 2007, 14:30
Are you splodgers cyber stalker? You seem to have a real problem with him. How about if you don't agree with what he says then leave him alone. You are starting to make yourself look obsessed with him.

2 posts in recent times and suddenly i'm a cyber stalker? I wasn't meaning to be nasty, I just thought he should give more information as saying it is bricked doesn't really help him.

Anyway, back on topic, the only way your PSP can be fixed is if you get a modchip. Do a quick search for "Undiluted Platinum PSP" in google.

Cloudy

pt9087
January 4th, 2007, 15:24
Plug in the AC adapter, Wait about 2 minutes, turn on the psp and hold R, When a screen comes up... Run Recovery.

I have also helped someone else on msn with this same problem... it turned out that he dint have his battery in his psp. lol

ultimateangling
January 4th, 2007, 20:08
thanks for the tip mate but no luck :(
the green battery light comes on but nothing else, even if I click and hold the R button.

Will a chip mod make the PSP work? I dont want to shell out on the chip and find out this is not going to fix it!

weirdelf
January 4th, 2007, 21:15
If you installed a modchip it would unbrick.

ultimateangling
January 5th, 2007, 08:59
Can anyone recommend a good place I can get this done at a sensible price? Thanks

belialone
January 5th, 2007, 09:55
if you want to solder it by yourself just look at google or ebay for undiluted modchip
also if you are not good at soldering i recommend to send it to a modding company

or you you could try your warranty

ultimateangling
January 5th, 2007, 13:45
won't they realise it has been downgraded if I put it under the warranty?

zevende
January 5th, 2007, 21:51
won't they realise it has been downgraded if I put it under the warranty?
I don't think sony will care that you downgraded, but they WILL return you a 3.03 PSP.

Shrygue
January 5th, 2007, 22:10
I wouldn't send any of my PSPs for servicing under warranty. I'd just see about getting the modchip instead, as all 3 of them aren't TA-082 units.

(I took the warranty sticker off my black one when I attempted to open it but stopped trying because my screwdriver is knackered.)